Head Banging Druggie #timeforchange

Temporary forum for civic elections
livewire
Fledgling

Head Banging Druggie #timeforchange

Post by livewire »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#121180

I think I'll take a tour down there and see what turn out is like. I hope this does motivate our younger generation to understand and get involved in what's politically going on in this city.

Good for them!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Head Banging Druggie #timeforchange

Post by Glacier »

That's the problem with young people today. They won't vote based upon actual issues, but they will based upon sound bites that don't mean one iota in terms of public policy. It's almost like the are head banging druggies or something.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Glacier, you should talk to some of them. The ones I have it's not all about her comment, it's more about the attitude she and other have toward growth, change, etc. And either way, if they are this fired up - maybe they will continue to keep abreast of what their council is up to in the future. Gotta start somewhere. I didn't really care about municipal politics until a similar thing happened in my community 20 years ago. Got a lot of us younger ones to start paying attention.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Glacier wrote:That's the problem with young people today. They won't vote based upon actual issues, but they will based upon sound bites that don't mean one iota in terms of public policy. It's almost like the are head banging druggies or something.

you do realize that jobs and affordable housing are some of the main issues they are speaking about right? I think those have been issues since God was a Corporal... the just have a different twist on addressing them and holding local politicians accountable.... seems to me maybe you are the one that's only following half the story. ;)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I guess it just kind of sucks having to choose between the better of two evils all of the time. Sadly in politics, I don't think there will ever be a politician that isn't in the game for personal gain.

I guess you could say it isn't that the youth is misinformed, it's that some of the older folk b*tch so much it isn't worth the fight when everyone is corrupt or working to their own personal gain.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Madhue wrote:you do realize that jobs and affordable housing are some of the main issues they are speaking about right? I think those have been issues since God was a Corporal... the just have a different twist on addressing them and holding local politicians accountable.... seems to me maybe you are the one that's only following half the story. ;)

I'm not following the story at all really, but hopefully this is not a case of people voting based upon one off the cuff sentence uttered by a politician. Informed voters vote for something while misinformed voters vote against something.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Madhue wrote:you do realize that jobs and affordable housing are some of the main issues they are speaking about right? I think those have been issues since God was a Corporal... they just have a different twist on addressing them and holding local politicians accountable....

These issues are tied closely to the state of the economy, and as such may be beyond the ability of municipal politicians to deal with. Maybe a fresh perspective is just what we need, something action based instead of the old somebody-should-do-something approach.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:
These issues are tied closely to the state of the economy, and as such may be beyond the ability of municipal politicians to deal with. Maybe a fresh perspective is just what we need, something action based instead of the old somebody-should-do-something approach.

Yes, and as soon as a city council tries to provide one of the small things in their available tool basket to address something like attracting investment through Economic Development zones with a break on city taxes for an initial fixed period and a small relax on DCC charges, the loonies fill the editorial page outraged about corporate welfare. And coincidentally, it is the same people demanding something to be done about affordable housing.
There is a serious gap in their synaptic receptors. Somehow A + B = C where A is investor, B is incentive, and C is finished product, somehow becomes A should provide C just cuz they should. Exhibit A of Winston Churchill's democratic voter.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

fluffy wrote:These issues are tied closely to the state of the economy, and as such may be beyond the ability of municipal politicians to deal with. Maybe a fresh perspective is just what we need, something action based instead of the old somebody-should-do-something approach.
Honestly I think that's a bit of a cop out. There are business that are booming, why are they not coming here...
Over the past 20 years of being in Pentciton and in Summerland is there is a serious detachment from our younger voters, not youth, but young adults. We have a City Council that is simply not promoting business development in our region like it needs to. Rather than being a booming city growing we are conditioned in to becoming a sleepy town. we need employment, affordable housing.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Glacier wrote:That's the problem with young people today. They won't vote based upon actual issues, but they will based upon sound bites that don't mean one iota in terms of public policy. It's almost like the are head banging druggies or something.

Funny, you just did to them what you accused them of doing. Your opinion of them is based upon sound bites (ok ok typed words) not the actual issues.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hassel99 wrote:Funny, you just did to them what you accused them of doing. Your opinion of them is based upon sound bites (ok ok typed words) not the actual issues.

I'm agnostic at this point, and really don't need to know what the issues are since I don't live in Penticton. I know enough that people were really upset about someone uttering the phrase "head banging druggie." Surely there are more important things to be upset about. If this Counselor is really that bad, they should highlight the things see has actually done that they disagree with. Then hopefully the young voters will look beyond this sound bite, and find people to vote for.

- Douglas Murray
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

I'm agnostic at this point, and really don't need to know what the issues are since I don't live in Penticton. I know enough that people were really upset about someone uttering the phrase "head banging druggie."

If you're agnotistic, don't need to know what the issues are, don't live in Penticton, and haven't bothered to do some research then maybe you should pipe down.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

This bugs me:
“No, I'm not a headbanging druggie and so I was not interested in (attending) it (the Boonstock grounds) whatsoever."
What bugs me more is that she sits on the Penticton City Council Protective Services Advisory Committee, yet was not ‘interested in’ taking the time to personally experience the venue she was part of advising on, while it was in full operation.
Talk the talk—walk the walk.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

livewire wrote:If you're agnotistic, don't need to know what the issues are, don't live in Penticton, and haven't bothered to do some research then maybe you should pipe down.

I'm not opposed to learning what the issues are. Unfortunately, the real issues are drowned out by crybabies whining about how their feelings were hurt when someone called them a head banging druggie. Time for change... awesome, but it's better to bring up the real issues than rally around some slogan about banging druggies. The message that is broadcast is not that it's time to change things because people are in bed with developers (or whatever issue needs to be raised), but instead because people had their feelings hurt. If she doesn't approve of the festival (as she clearly doesn't), that's her prerogative, just as it's yours to be offended by that. To each their own, but personally, I see more important things going on out there.
- Douglas Murray
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

Glacier wrote:[I'm not opposed to learning what the issues are. Unfortunately, the real issues are drowned out by crybabies whining about how their feelings were hurt when someone called them a head banging druggie. Time for change... awesome, but it's better to bring up the real issues than rally around some slogan about banging druggies. The message that is broadcast is not that it's time to change things because people are in bed with developers (or whatever issue needs to be raised), but instead because people had their feelings hurt. If she doesn't approve of the festival (as she clearly doesn't), that's her prerogative, just as it's yours to be offended by that. To each their own, but personally, I see more important things going on out there.

I'm pretty certain this will all fade away soon enough. They have no apparent agenda but to complain. It is great that they want change but simply criticising how things are now will not do anything.

I also feel that no one will take them seriously wearing those t-shirts. People disconnected from the issue will just think they are actually head banging druggies. Perhaps they are, who knows?

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”