Challenge

Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Challenge

Post by Madhue »

Last year I complained that this event lacked energy, that over all it was a low key snooze-fest. I stated this was a bad move for Penticton and that the sitting City Council really steered us wrong. I went on to suggest we need to look at attempting to bring back Ironman winning it back from Whistler.
I have seen some promotion of the event in town, banners and such... but as a whole its seems pretty quite. I've seen more of a build up and hype for the Kelowna Apple Triathlon.
If this event fizzles again this year... we still going to have the camp of apologists that make excuses for this lack luster Event?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Challenge

Post by Bunnyhop »

IMO, Challenge is a big snooze. Don't care and don't know anybody that does.

Every city/town and their dog has a triathlon nowadays. Penticton should be saying "been there, done that" and looking for something else to draw tourists in. In the last 10 years or so that Ironman was in Penticton, it did not bring the people and $$ in to the town like it used to. The vibe was alive Thursday to Sunday and didn't extend much beyond the 100 block of downtown.

A triathlon in the south Okanagan is a PITA to the locals, and doesn't really bring much benefit. Time for something fresh and different.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I feel the same way. Something is lacking in the promotion and marketing of this event at the local and regional level. I've seen very little in the papers, nothing on Global Okanagan, and surprisingly I haven't even heard of any sponsorship from our three local radio stations. This surprises me. From a spectator and community partnership point of view you would think they would be getting the message out.

The only information I can find online is the Challenge Website which will only take you to info@ - no individual people. Of course it gives an overview of the event. I tried finding information on Kelly Hopkins who is the marketing manager for this event and again, very little information to be found.

My opinion only, but if Challenge is looking for community involvement and support then perhaps they'd better get out into the community and start getting the message out. I would think time is running out.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Bunnyhop wrote:Time for something fresh and different.
We lost out HUGE losing Ironman. Too bad we didn't have a City Council that could have kept Ironman here in Penticton.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I hope someone is keeping tabs on hospital visits. Triathlons are stupid.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

ToddT wrote:I hope someone is keeping tabs on hospital visits. Triathlons are stupid.

ToddT .. Don't start with the fear mongering :)
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I hope this years Challenge race is more successful then last years Challenge race as I know the Ironman Whistler this year was down in overall numbers compared to last year.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I didn't go to Challenge because I'm not a #spandexwearinghippy.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

This list of events came up on "seen in Penticton" facebook feed *bleep*/newsitem/challenge-pe ... ts/it12353 but they are definitely not doing a very good job of getting the word out
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

And the question is - why?
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

lol maybe the PHA has something to do with it.
darkaengel

Post by darkaengel »

im pretty sure the lakeside was the only place that really had any advertising up before the long weekend... which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

not a good sign.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

1200 signed up so far compared to the 750 who competed last year. Positive growth but still a ways to go to 3000.
Of interest though, the Whistler numbers dropped to only 1900.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:1200 signed up so far compared to the 750 who competed last year. Positive growth but still a ways to go to 3000.
Of interest though, the Whistler numbers dropped to only 1900.

I recall very clearly when Ironman was around 1200 participants. It was easy to handle..then it mushroomed to 2000 and they said that would be the limit, due to safety concerns. Of course that never happened and it went to 3000. Was it greed or what? I think that if Challenge has 1200 signed up, thats a perfect amount and as long as they aren't losing money and asking taxpayers for more, leave it at that. I wish them well.
darkaengel

Post by darkaengel »

from what i could find online, the total is closer to 1100 and includes about 400 people who are participating as part of a team.

As opposed to going solo, which is a new option this year.

http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventParticipantsList.aspx?fEID=19074

Return to “Central Okanagan”