This is a disgrace

omisimaw
Guru

Re: This is a disgrace

Post by omisimaw »

Well it is not working now and it needs to be fixed. I am in this case all for going back to a day when there were workers, case workers, who knew their clientele and put checks and balances in place.
Social workers make decisions every day in many varying situations.... they just have not been granted enough authority to actually cut someone off when it is blatantly clear they are abusing the system.
They are trained to see the abuse so they should also be given the authority to act on it.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I learned today that sparkling hills resort up at predator ridge is building staff housing units for TFW's Why couldn't these welfare bums work these jobs?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Gixxer wrote:I learned today that sparkling hills resort up at predator ridge is building staff housing units for TFW's Why couldn't these welfare bums work these jobs?

It's not that they can't work these jobs, or many other TFW jobs in restaurants etc......it's because they don't want to work these jobs. They have decided that their combined monthly SS stipend of $1320 is enough certain cash that the value of their leisure time is not worth forgoing for the additional money they might make at $10.25/hr.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Perhaps a little OT but does speak directly to the lack of some members of our society's job search skills.....or even wanting a job. I spoke with someone in senior management today from Structurlam Wood products. They are a value added wood manufacturer that makes laminated wood products for everything from laminated beams to rig mats for the oil industry. Look at the Olympic Speed Skating Oval in Richmond for an example of what this company does if you are not familiar with them. They operate 3 manufacturing facilities here in the South Okanagan...Penticton.....OK Falls.....and Oliver. They employee somewhere around 150 people. They are looking for workers and have actually resorted to putting sandwich boards out on the street advertising this! Can't get applicants!
Starting wage with guaranteed increases is in the high teens. Plus medical, dental and pension. Wages go up to near 30/hr with time and skill set. If decent jobs are so hard to come by here, why is this company having difficulty in finding employee's?
Should their next step be TFW's?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That's disturbing twobits. With all the crying going on for decent jobs you'd think a steady, reputable employer like Structurlam would have a stack of applications to draw on at any time. Do you think job hunters are being too picky in their searches? I can see the bottom of the ladder at a place like Structurlam being a little more towards the grunt work end of the spectrum but where I come from any job is better than no job. At least there's money flowing while you look for the dream job.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

If this company would be open to hiring a person off of the welfare role then maybe instead of putting a sign on the road their HR could dialogue with the local welfare office and other charities that support those on assistance.
Sometimes taking the information to the source works, especially in the placement of these sometimes hard to place individuals.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Labour Unlimited is local agency that does this already. They also pay the payrol tax and benefits. Maybe I'm wrong about what they do because it's a wonder more businesses don't take advantage of this.

http://www.labourunlimited.com
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote: That's disturbing twobits. With all the crying going on for decent jobs you'd think a steady, reputable employer like Structurlam would have a stack of applications to draw on at any time. Do you think job hunters are being too picky in their searches?

It is disturbing and the only conclusion I can come to is people think it is grunt work and beneath them.

fluffy wrote: I can see the bottom of the ladder at a place like Structurlam being a little more towards the grunt work end of the spectrum but where I come from any job is better than no job. At least there's money flowing while you look for the dream job.

In conjunction with my response above, here's the rub. I have toured these plants and can say that there is very little "grunt" work. This is a company that has invested millions of dollars in plant and equipment with efficiency and competitiveness as the company mantra.
Some trivia I learned that is interesting. They own the largest planer in the world. Had it custom built at a cost of around 5 million dollars. And that is just one of many multi million dollar pieces of equipment they have invested in. Will plane all four sides of a block of wood up to 10ft wide and 2 ft thick and the length is unrestricted. Wood chucks out there will understand this magnitude. Bottom line is that this is a high tech plant. There really aren't "green chain" jobs. It is mostly inside out of the weather and with plenty of room for advancement just because of the high tech efficiency of the plant and equipment.
So.....is this a case of people assuming it's a chit job and they don't bother to apply? I dunno. But for someone out of work, does that really matter?

mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

When you consider TFWs, outsourcing, and cheap imported products, it can be very difficult for someone to get on track with being self sufficient.
Our Govt. bears a large part of creating those problems, they should be working to resolve them.

Pish posh! That is the polite way of calling BS.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:I really feel uncomfortable talking about this couple in Summerland because the reality is we know very little about how they got to be where they're at today. So I am not at all writing about specifically this couple, but situations in general. They got there by going there. They did not pass go. They went directly to the couch and TV.

But I would argue that severe addiction is a disability. You can deny addicts welfare, but they are still going to get their drug with or without social assistance. In fact, they will likely get it by boosting your stuff! That's helpful.

Even social assistance isn't going to cover the cost of drugs, but it will pay for some of them, and therefore reduce the amount of illegal activity they must do to feed their habit. Well I guess that's better than nothing. Maybe they'll just steal my stuff and leave yours alone. That cost's all of us less.

Also if they are "in touch" with "the system" it increases their chance of being encouraged to enter treatment. It also provides them support to be seen by medical professionals if they're sick which could potentially save the system a lot of money if they can be treated timely for infections and needle-use abscess. There are many other drug related conditions that get out of control without regular medical treatment (pneumonia, liver disease etc). If someone has a social worker looking for these kind of things and can arrange for medical care this will cost the system less over time, not more. Again, you are placing the responsibility for their welfare on everyone but them.

So, you can dislike these people and think they aren't worthy of any kind of assistance, but either way the society will pay for them one way or another. I don't think many addicts take treatment as an option in active addiction on their own. They seek treatment when treated with some dignity, compassion and encouragement. Not in most cases based on what I saw. Mostly they want you to stop talking and leave them alone.

All in all, we leave people like this to be homeless and the fallout from that can be way more expensive than treating them with some compassion and dignity.
It is not what they want. Most, not all. And to be treated with compassion an ddignity you have to offer the same and that is just not the case.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

omisimaw wrote:If this company would be open to hiring a person off of the welfare role then maybe instead of putting a sign on the road their HR could dialogue with the local welfare office and other charities that support those on assistance.
Sometimes taking the information to the source works, especially in the placement of these sometimes hard to place individuals.

That's a great idea except that I attempted to tap into the system for the same reasons and while you'de think they would be happy to help...........Not so much but the idea is a a good one.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

[quote="Poindexter"]Labour Unlimited is local agency that does this already. They also pay the payrol tax and benefits. Maybe I'm wrong about what they do because it's a wonder more businesses don't take advantage of this.

They don't because of the type of people that typically sign up for day labor. Lots of drug addicts and alcoholics who are simply looking for a days pay to get them through the next day. No commitment for several days work and having to train new people all the time even for relatively simple jobs is more than many are willing to put up with.

There are those who are trying to get a foot in the door but the overall appetite from employers for this kind of service is not great. Too many issues and potential issues.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

omisimaw wrote:If this company would be open to hiring a person off of the welfare role then maybe instead of putting a sign on the road their HR could dialogue with the local welfare office and other charities that support those on assistance.

mexicalidreamer wrote:That's a great idea except that I attempted to tap into the system for the same reasons and while you'de think they would be happy to help...........Not so much but the idea is a a good one.

Well it appears service cuts have taken their toll if that is the case, how sad is that. Actually I think the prov. govt rolled it all into the one WorkBC model but it is not doing very well IMO.

Back in the day the Canada Manpower (now WorkBC) actually counseled individuals and worked at placement. The whole placement assistance has gone down the tubes and been replaced with workshops, and training sessions, transitional sessions, and so on and so on...
I truly do believe the system is failing to help and is part of the problem.
They need to bring back the counselors and job placement service.
Even though there are jobs out there and employers that want employees, there are also those who are not to interested in taking the risk of hiring someone right off of welfare.
So these folks sometimes need an extra hand up.
C.W

Post by C.W »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Nov 17th, 2014, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: potentially libelous
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Not about the land owner, he may be a real snake and generally that is the only type of landlord that will take some types in.
Don't like the living conditions then you do what everyone else has to do
You move!

Return to “Central Okanagan”