Westjet and lack of marketing

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Westjet

Post by Dizzy1 »

The reasoning was that Penticton was a designated Transport Canada (this was before NavCanada) weather center and Kelowna wasn't, Penticton was required to stay open 24 hours. You still contacted Kelowna tower on 119.6 but the person you'd be talking to was sitting in YYF - however, ground manoeuvre clearances would also be requested through 119.6 instead of the dedicated 121.7 for Kelowna ground.

I don't remember when the switch was made though
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Dizzy1 wrote:The reasoning was that Penticton was a designated Transport Canada (this was before NavCanada) weather center and Kelowna wasn't, Penticton was required to stay open 24 hours. You still contacted Kelowna tower on 119.6 but the person you'd be talking to was sitting in YYF - however, ground manoeuvre clearances would also be requested through 119.6 instead of the dedicated 121.7 for Kelowna ground.

I don't remember when the switch was made though

Thanks, thats good info. Still seems kind of odd that jets or large planes would be landing in Kelowna with nobody actually watching them come in from that control tower.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

pentona wrote:Thanks, thats good info. Still seems kind of odd that jets or large planes would be landing in Kelowna with nobody actually watching them come in from that control tower.

Happens all the time - nothing unusual, at least for flight crews :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

thanks for the education :) interesting stuff to get caught up on, at least for me, lol.
I do miss the days you could sit at Skaha beach and watch 737 land on top of you.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Thought maybe that we had a Westjet 737 drop in here this evening but it turned out to be a North Caribou Air jet; going to Calgary. Not sure what the stop here was all about. I believe it was a BAE-146, a 4 engine jet; rather rare these days. Air BC used to use them. Nice to know that good sized jets can still land here.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

pentona wrote:Thought maybe that we had a Westjet 737 drop in here this evening but it turned out to be a North Caribou Air jet; going to Calgary. Not sure what the stop here was all about. I believe it was a BAE-146, a 4 engine jet; rather rare these days. Air BC used to use them. Nice to know that good sized jets can still land here.

Lucky dog to see a 146 these days - I sure miss them. North Caribou does a lot of the charters on behalf of Canadian North going up to the oil sands - YLW sees their Dash 8-400 twice a week. I'll take a look later and see if I can find any info for you

Looks like you guys had a busy day - the NCB 146 came in from YYC this morning and went back this evening. On top of that one there was also a NCB CL60 that came in from YEG and back to YEG as well as a Canadian North B733 from YYC.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Dizzy1 wrote:Lucky dog to see a 146 these days - I sure miss them. North Caribou does a lot of the charters on behalf of Canadian North going up to the oil sands - YLW sees their Dash 8-400 twice a week. I'll take a look later and see if I can find any info for you

Looks like you guys had a busy day - the NCB 146 came in from YYC this morning and went back this evening. On top of that one there was also a NCB CL60 that came in from YEG and back to YEG as well as a Canadian North B733 from YYC.

Thankyou for all that great info. I wonder why those jets came here. Must have had something to do with the problem in YLW?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

All 3 came in to YYF between 10am and 12pm and left between 6pm and 8pm and all filed to YYF. Unlikely they're oil sands workers as they would fly directly to and from Albian or Firebag so I'm guessing there was some sort of convention or event in town. Maybe a wine tour group?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

According to Flightaware the 737-300 was Air North and the RJ1H (formerly a BAE-146) was an North Cariboo plane. They came out of Edmonton and Calgary respectively. The Challenger also came from Edmonton. I can see the ramp from my buddies house and it looked nice to see jets sitting on the ramp. His neighbor was at the airport picking up someone and saw 3 big coach liner buses for the passengers of the 2 large planes. Wine is my guess too.
Flightaware shows history as well so you can still see their flight numbers and when they landed or took off. Not all aircraft are on the web site as some private or military don't show up. I guess they request not to be on the site? I'm not sure.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/CYYF
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

On Saturday Oct-25, these aircraft types all came from Edmonton/Calgary direct to Penticton YYF. Likely some sort of chatrer. They come into YYF a few times a year. Boeing-737, Canadair CL600, British Aerospace 4-jet BA146, .
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by nepal on Oct 26th, 2014, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I'm not exactly sure when the Kelowna Incident occurred but is it not possible that a couple of these planes landed in Penticton due to the airport at YLW being closed to incoming for a while? Not sure; just wondering.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

pentona wrote:I'm not exactly sure when the Kelowna Incident occurred but is it not possible that a couple of these planes landed in Penticton due to the airport at YLW being closed to incoming for a while? Not sure; just wondering.

Flight plans were filed directly to Penticton so I'm gonna say no
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

They all landed at Penticton YYF in the morning and all flew out in the evening. Add in the AIr Canada Dash-8s, and the ramp was pretty busy.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

On the 49-minute Westjet flight from Calgary to Penticton, passengers actually get younger by 11- minutes, as they depart at 2:14 and arrive at 2:03.
Attachments
image.jpg
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

For all those that said it would not happen...
Attachments
Encore1a.jpg
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Central Okanagan”