Why has Penticton had so many short term mayors?

Temporary forum for civic elections
mustgrowpenticton

Why has Penticton had so many short term mayors?

Post by mustgrowpenticton »

I was recently in City Hall, why does Penticton have such a history of one term mayors or change of mayors from election to election? So many other communities have benefited from the continuity of leadership.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Why has Penticton had so many short term Mayors?

Post by southy »

mustgrowpenticton wrote:I was recently in City Hall, why does Penticton have such a history of one term mayors or change of mayors from election to election? So many other communities have benefited from the continuity of leadership.

Well mustgrow - I think you answered your own question when you say other communities have benefited from the continuity of leadership. Leadership being the main word. I would suggest that you will see another turn over in that position between the upcoming election and the next election - again no leadership.
mustgrowpenticton

So Southy tell me why there has been a lack of leadership in Penticton? You seem to be a veteran of these forums, what are your thoughts? Will this years election of a new mayor and council arrest the history of leadership dysfunction in the Peach city or will we have another 3 years,oops now 4 years of leadership vacuum and nothing really changing ?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

[quote="mustgrowpenticton"]Will this years election of a new mayor and council arrest the history of leadership dysfunction in the Peach city or will we have another 3 years,oops now 4 years of leadership vacuum and nothing really changing ?

Good question mustgrow. I am somewhat hesitant to say yes, we will see change. We have two seasoned councillors bidding for the mayors chair. During their terms on council neither one really showed leadership and/or visionary attributes. Granted, I give Andrew J. credit as he did position himself well in bringing in the Young Stars Tourney which has had a economic benefit to the town as well he was involved with establishing the Granfondo event. Unfortunately, those events do not take care of the day to day needs of a city. I'm just not sure Andrew has it in him to take a stand and move forward, especially when the heat is on. Vass - sorry I have said this from the beginning I have a real trust issue with John. He can talk the talk but I'm really not sure he can walk the walk. He has listed some of the things he wants to do if elected. Again, I'm not convinced he has it in him to pull those things off. Some were occurring while he sat on council, yet I didn't hear a whole lot from him about them.

Unless we get a new slate for council and individuals who can step up with a vision and work together and listen to those in the community I'm afraid you might just be correct about another 4 years of leadership vacuum and nothing really changing.
It's like the dysfunctional family - everyone else can see the elephant/s in the living room but the family can't. I hope we can establish the change this city needs.

Not sure I can answer your first question as to why there has been a lack of leaders other than to say that sometimes personal agendas take preference over what is good for a city. How do you spell provincial and federal politics?
mustgrowpenticton

Thank you southy. You summed it up well !

I hope some new younger blood gets elected into the council spots. Some of them have potential. There key outcome initially must be to work together to develop (then execute ) a coherent plan for the City. A plan that will not only respond to the retiree voters desire to focus only on keeping tax increases and City expenditures at close to zero every year but focus on growing economic activity for the City and area.

That is why I worry about Vass becoming mayor. He has only demonstrated behavior as a councilor that is concentrated on cost control. As many great civic leaders have said before, "you can not cut your way to prosperity". If he wins, Vass will have to actually do something not just sit back and be critical of others idea's and suggestions. It is easy being a Monday morning quarterback, very different having to call the plays and be the leader under the pressure of the real game.

The safe vote is with Andrew and a new council.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

mustgrowpenticton wrote:Thank you southy. You summed it up well !

I hope some new younger blood gets elected into the council spots. Some of them have potential. There key outcome initially must be to work together to develop (then execute ) a coherent plan for the City. A plan that will not only respond to the retiree voters desire to focus only on keeping tax increases and City expenditures at close to zero every year but focus on growing economic activity for the City and area.

That is why I worry about Vass becoming mayor. He has only demonstrated behavior as a councilor that is concentrated on cost control. As many great civic leaders have said before, "you can not cut your way to prosperity". If he wins, Vass will have to actually do something not just sit back and be critical of others idea's and suggestions. It is easy being a Monday morning quarterback, very different having to call the plays and be the leader under the pressure of the real game.

Vass has demonstrated his INability to work well as a team player, especially with the younger generation. He so often argued during council meetings with young Mr. Hopkin; it was really very tough to even watch. He would not be a team player at all in my opinion. We are bound to get some new and younger councillors this time around and so I fully agree with your last line - "the Safe vote is with Andrew and a new council".
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There has been a shift over the last two or three decades in politics in general, and BC politics in particular toward change for the sake of change. We don't so much elect new leaders for their innovative ideas and policies as much as we fire the old ones for not living up to our expectations. My question to any candidate would be "What are your ideas for where Penticton's future lays, and how are we going to get there?"

There is also an underlying sentiment that creeps to the surface occasionally that Penticton's retirement demographic is more a liability than an asset. Do I need to point out that in terms of the housing industry and retail prosperity it's retirees that have kept this town afloat through some pretty hungry years?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I agree with you Fluffy, however, that senior demo you speak of is also somewhat easily influenced. Yes, there is a segment that takes the time to explore issues and vote based on candidates responses, however, I honestly believe there is that other segment who take people at their word - then make a decision. This is where we get caught in electing individuals who do not deserve to be on council. As has been stated on other posts - we need a younger demo voter turnout. Perhaps this election will bring them out and help balance whatever inconsistencies have occurred in past elections.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There is always that to consider southy, the nature of the politican is to say what they beleive will get them the votes. It's up to each of us to judge their sincerity, along with the potential of their plans (if they actually have any) to bring about the change we are so fond of demanding.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fluffy wrote:There is always that to consider southy, the nature of the politican is to say what they beleive will get them the votes. It's up to each of us to judge their sincerity, along with the potential of their plans (if they actually have any) to bring about the change we are so fond of demanding.

How true. I just finished reading the attached on voter apathy, especially with regard to the younger demo. I feel this clearly states what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it. If only it was easy. The issues between the City of Penticton and Boonstock just might make our younger voters stand up and take action. I hope.

http://laidlawfdn.org/news/post/young-p ... elections/
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

mustgrowpenticton wrote:

For Mayor, Jak winning would not be bad. I lean toward Vas but look at it, IMO, as a 45/55 thing. Either would be a decent mayor. As for the makeup of council...the whole thing is a chit show. I am honestly disappointed at many of the incumbent's performance over the last term but when I look at the slate of people running......3/4 of them can and should be written off without a second thought and of what remains is extremely dubious. Thinking back over the last 25 yrs, I do not recall seeing such a motley crew of alternative choices as we have in this election. To myself, and many others I believe, it is going to come down to the devil you know rather than the one you don't. This is not a good slate for the electorate to pick from.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I have to wonder if the actual job isn't a lot more daunting once the successful candidate has his/her bum in the chair? The big issues of late are the always present "jobs and affordable housing", a couple of pretty tall orders in any book but especially so in a small town and tight economy. Are we expecting too much of our elected officials?
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

This thread has really helped me look into the candidates for mayor more closely.
For me, when Litke was still wondering if he would go for another term it was easy for me to decide who to go for. Now it is a harder decision especially after reading some of the posts above, and thankfully so. It has sparked a curiosity that will make me want to look into things more closely. The sad part is there are so many candidates for council and only 2 for mayor (tongue in cheek) which make me believe southy even more when he mentions another term of the same thing again, maybe?
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

hozzle wrote:This thread has really helped me look into the candidates for mayor more closely.
For me, when Litke was still wondering if he would go for another term it was easy for me to decide who to go for. Now it is a harder decision especially after reading some of the posts above, and thankfully so. It has sparked a curiosity that will make me want to look into things more closely. The sad part is there are so many candidates for council and only 2 for mayor (tongue in cheek) which make me believe southy even more when he mentions another term of the same thing again, maybe?

For interests sake, you could check all of the votes of council. You would be pretty surprised I think at how often Jak was aligned with Litke (virtually always) and Vaz voted against. It was even public knowledge that if Litke was going to run again that Jak would not run for Mayor. And given that Jak announced his running for the big chair prior to Litke saying he was not running again, one must conclude there were some private strategic conversations going on. What does that say to you? IMO, you have a much greater chance of "more of the same" with Jak than with Vaz.
Jak is not stupid and not all that bad but my memory of his and Litke's "council coalition" will be millions spent on routes for bicycles at the expense of commerce, traffic flow, and parking. And I am not against cycling. Just think that there are more important civic concerns that should be a priority given our demographic, topography and weather. I would think that the actual use of these routes, or lack of, would be verification of that.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”