PIB marijuana cultivation

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: PIB marijuana cultivation

Post by Donald G »

To Anonymous123 ...

Yes. The Band has a list of Band Members with status and the Federal Government has what should be an identical list. The provincial government may also have one due to their need to determine prov sales tax.

Interestingly it was a First Nations lady who married an Italian man who went to court and had the gender difference removed from a First Nations ability to continue their status designation. Right here in little old northern B.C.

If it has net been changed back since that Court Ruling, as long as the mother OR father has status the child can apply for status. regardless of where they live.

She was a very intelligent lady.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Post by mrmagoo »

No. There is no public registry, nor should there be. There are status cards that are used by individuals when they need to establish status. Otherwise it is none of your beeswax sir. Just like your ethnicity or sexual orientation is none of mine.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

mrmagoo wrote:No, sorry but that is just plain ol' incorrect.

Here is the CRA publication: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/brgnls/gdlns-eng.html Look at guideline 1.

You absolutely do not have to reside on reserve. You do have to have status and 90% or more of the work needs to take place on reserve to get the exemption (among other ways) otherwise the proration rules kick in (like with the RCMP case mentioned above).

You may want to pass this correct information on to others on the reserve.

Also, re. McIvor, I'm pleased your child was able to get status back - that stupid rule about marrying out was clearly discriminatory. McIvor resulted in some immediate gains for some with status, but it does not change the fact with 6(1) and 6(2) and marrying out rules under the Indian Act, it is only a matter of time before status numbers will sharply decline. Your own child may not be able to pass his/her status on if she marries out if s/he is 6(2).
"Two generations of ‘out-marriage’. That is all it takes to completely lose Status. It does not matter if you raise your grandchildren in your native culture. It does not matter if they speak your language and know your customs. If you married someone without Status, and your grandchildren have a non-Status parent, your grandchildren are not considered Indian any longer. Not legally." http://apihtawikosisan.com/2011/12/got- ... explained/

Bottom line is that we have a different set of tax rules based on race.
And as far as "it is only a matter of time before status numbers will decline", is that a personal observation or one based in fact? I seem to recall some recent Stats Canada data that says the First Nation population is the fastest growing demographic in the country.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

mrmagoo wrote:No. There is no public registry, nor should there be. There are status cards that are used by individuals when they need to establish status. Otherwise it is none of your beeswax sir. Just like your ethnicity or sexual orientation is none of mine.

SImmer down there my myopic friend. I was only inquiring for someone that is half First Nations and has no status.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Post by mrmagoo »

Status and being of FN's descent are two entirely different things.

The number of aboriginal people is increasing but status is rapidly being lost due to ie. one parent not having status and the other being 6(2). Only those with status get the tax exemption. This is not an opinion, it is factually true and recognized by all indigenous research institutions I'm aware of, including the union of bc indian chiefs.

Read the link I posted above. Status is defined by the Indian Act and if you have status today the chances of your grandchildren being passed status are not good unless your kids have full status or they have a child with someone with status. As each generation passes the numbers shrink even though the aboriginal population grows (although still only 3% of Canadians).

The reason those with status get the tax exemption is that Canada made the promise to FNs as part of the treaty process. It is a legal obligation and not race-based discrimination. If it was race-based all aboriginal people would be eligible. It is part of the rather unfavourable to FNs deal that was imposed on FNs and put into legislation in the Indian Act.

Return to “Central Okanagan”