PIB marijuana cultivation

hozzle
Lord of the Board

PIB marijuana cultivation

Post by hozzle »

For the record I take a neutral stance when it comes to marijuana use, some of my best friends use it, but I choose not to.

What I would like to know is how the Band will react to the scrutiny and bureaucracy that comes with the production of medical marijuana and the good and bad people that come with it once production starts.

A lot has changed over the years but my memory keeps recalling events in the past that range from illegal plant growing to totally separate but implicated shootings associated with the plant.
If they do go ahead with it and the band prospers with no ill social side affects than we may see another positive band the likes of Osoyoos & Westbank.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: PIB marijuana cultivation...

Post by Anonymous123 »

hozzle wrote:For the record I take a neutral stance when it comes to marijuana use, some of my best friends use it, but I choose not to.

What I would like to know is how the Band will react to the scrutiny and bureaucracy that comes with the production of medical marijuana and the good and bad people that come with it once production starts.

A lot has changed over the years but my memory keeps recalling events in the past that range from illegal plant growing to totally separate but implicated shootings associated with the plant.
If they do go ahead with it and the band prospers with no ill social side affects than we may see another positive band the likes of Osoyoos & Westbank.

This industry is going to happen, and for the PIB to get into it in the beginning stages is a good example of forward thinking by the Chief and Council. I see this as a positive move for this community.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: PIB marijuana cultivation

Post by maryjane48 »

yes the pib will rake in the dough while kelowna wonders what happened lol
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I find it very encouraging that the PIB recognizes the significant differences between some strains of marijuana and have already indicated they intend to select those most adapted to aboriginal ailments and illnesses. Personally I hope that that includes a long term goal of replacing the far more destructive (to society) alcohol with the controlled distribution of balanced marijuana. And that they will extend their operation to selling to non band members "off" of the reserve as well as their undertaking grows.

I think that they have made another very wise economic decision. Consistent with having the Provincial Jail on their land when others in the Okanagan turned it down.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... ot-grow-op

Unless the POI have a special agreement with the Provincial and Federal Governments I do not think that the Government will be able to collect income Tax off of those band memebers who are employed on the reserve growing or processing their own marijuana. Nor will the Federal or Provincial Governments be able to collect sales tax from marijuana purchases made by band members from an outlet on the reserve. But I could stand to be corrected on that issue.

As with any such undertaking my primary concern would be the security of the product from seed to use.
Last edited by Donald G on Nov 9th, 2014, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:I find it very encouraging that the PIB recognizes the significant differences between some strains of marijuana and have already indicated they intend to select those most adapted to aboriginal ailments and illnesses. Personally I hope that that includes a long term goal of replacing the far more destructive (to society) alcohol with the controlled distribution of balanced marijuana. And that they will extend their operation to selling to non band members "off" of the reserve as well as their undertaking grows.

I think that they have made another very wise economic decision. Consistent with having the Provincial Jail on their land when others in the Okanagan turned it down.

Unless the POI have a special agreement with the Provincial and Federal Governments I do not think that the Government will be able to collect income Tax off of those band memebers who are employed on the reserve growing or processing their own marijuana. Nor will the Federal or Provincial Governments be able to collect sales tax from marijuana purchases made by band members from an outlet on the reserve. But I could stand to be corrected on that issue.

As with any such undertaking my primary concern would be the security of the product from seed to use.

The new Corrections Facility is not on PIB lands. It is on the Osoyoos Band lands.
I also have to have a great deal of skepticism when someone can claim to have a "strain" genetically favouring "First Nation" ailments. When I see claims like this being made, huge red flags go up for me. It speaks of special treatment and consideration based on race instead instead of any science. It also smacks of funding that might be available that otherwise would be not. I have quite a few friends of First Nation lineage and quite frankly, I think they would be offended at the notion that their arthritis or fibromyalgia is any different than that suffered by us white folks.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To twobits ...

Re: http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... ot-grow-op

You may be right. I do not have a great deal of PERSONAL knowledge regarding the various medical uses of various strains of marijuana but have read everything I can find on the subject. I do know that some diseases like sickle cell anaemia and resistance to numerous diseases, bacteria and viruses and numerous psychoses have a genetic element to them. The smallpox that decimated the Natives in Canada is a classic example.

It would also seem that various strains of marijuana with various percentages and ratios of THC to CB+s have proven, in some tests to promise alleviation of some diseases and or symptoms of specified diseases. For example certain types of cancer and the discomfort associated to certain types of cancer.

I am just happy to see that someone in the Okanagan is actually talking about getting in on what I believe will prove to be a golden investment opportunity for those willing and interested.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

An interesting article from Public Health Canada regarding First Nations genetically linked diseases

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cdi ... 04-eng.php
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Penticton's economy has contracted ever since the MC Hammer concert. Anything that brings jobs to this beautiful region of Canada is a gift. Accept it with open arms.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Two-bits: I believe that the criteria for NOT paying income tax is that the Native person has to live on Native land otherwise they have to pay Income Taxes like everyone else. Just me 2 cents.
Last edited by youhavegottobekidding on Nov 11th, 2014, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I am not sure if it is still the case but I do know that a few years back an RCMP officer with a status card had to keep two time sheets. One for the time he/she spent working on the reserve and one for the time he/she spent performing work unrelated to the reserve off of the reserve. Income tax was assessed accordingly.

Who knows what the situation is now with all of the agreements that have been signed with First Nations people.

At the little service station on the reserve on the back road out of Vernon natives with a status card did not pay sales tax on anything that they purchased at the service station, including gas and cigarettes. Those without status cards pain the full price, including taxes. Everything changes with time.

No doubt such issues will be among the many that will have to be ironed out as the project progresses. I expect that, as it has been where businesses have gone forward on reserves, management training will be an element of money loaned and provided.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Post by mrmagoo »

You don't have to live on reserve to have tax exempt income. The test is much more complicated and first you need status. The number of FNs with status is declining rapidly and within a few generations hardly any aboriginal people will have status because of the Indian Act rules on how it is passed on.

If your work is on reserve 90% or more and you have status then you will get the full exemption, The tax exemption is correlated first to status and then to where the employer is and finally how much time you work on reserve.

As for medical marijuana, I have no issue with the product, but hope the company behind all the fuss is solid. This LOI seems quite flaky: http://imarketreports.com/press-release ... y-inc.html
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

mrmagoo;
I would like to correct your information regarding employment tax exemption. Under section 87 an 90 of the Indian act, to qualify for employment tax exemption the Status Indian must reside on reserve and at least 80% of the employment must take place on reserve. (it doesn't have to be on the same reserve though) to qualify for sales tax exemption, a status person does not have to reside on reserve but for shipping of a tax exempt purchase, the product must be shipped to a reserve.
With the McIvor case there has been an increase in the number of individuals who qualify for status. Historically status was passed on through the male family line. The supreme court has ruled that gender discriminatory and the status can be passed from both paternal and maternal links. When I was born, I did not qualify for status, then with bill c-36, My mother regained her status (after marrying a non-Indian) which then allowed me to gain status, then because I had a child with a non-Indian, my child did not qualify for status. The McIvor case has then allowed my child to receive status. So, from 1972 to now, we have gained 3 generations of status. In January of 2013, the Supreme Court has granted Metis people, Indigenous status.
As far as this medical marijuana project goes, there is quite a few variables and the community has only had one information session. One thing that I would like posters to remember is that this facility MUST conform to Health Canada guidelines for security and quality controls before a license will be issued.
With a state of the art elementary school and new health building, an amazing 550 unit residential project, this reserve is demonstrating a strong desire to help change the landscape of Penticton.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Post by mrmagoo »

No, sorry but that is just plain ol' incorrect.

Here is the CRA publication: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/brgnls/gdlns-eng.html Look at guideline 1.

You absolutely do not have to reside on reserve. You do have to have status and 90% or more of the work needs to take place on reserve to get the exemption (among other ways) otherwise the proration rules kick in (like with the RCMP case mentioned above).

You may want to pass this correct information on to others on the reserve.

Also, re. McIvor, I'm pleased your child was able to get status back - that stupid rule about marrying out was clearly discriminatory. McIvor resulted in some immediate gains for some with status, but it does not change the fact with 6(1) and 6(2) and marrying out rules under the Indian Act, it is only a matter of time before status numbers will sharply decline. Your own child may not be able to pass his/her status on if she marries out if s/he is 6(2).

"Two generations of ‘out-marriage’. That is all it takes to completely lose Status. It does not matter if you raise your grandchildren in your native culture. It does not matter if they speak your language and know your customs. If you married someone without Status, and your grandchildren have a non-Status parent, your grandchildren are not considered Indian any longer. Not legally." http://apihtawikosisan.com/2011/12/got- ... explained/
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

While we are on the status subject ( sorry to go off-topic ) is there a public registry for past as well as present status members?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Last edited by Donald G on Nov 11th, 2014, 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”