Leadership by committee?

twobits
Guru

Leadership by committee?

Post by twobits »

From todays Castanet news article.......

The incoming committee structure was also announced:

Community Revitalization Select Committee – will address Downtown revitalization, additional Waterfront enhancement projects and other revitalization efforts in the community.
Agriculture Advisory Committee
Arts, Creative & Cultural Innovation Committee
Community Sustainability Committee
Development Services Advisory Committee
Heritage and Knowledge Committee
Penticton Creek Rehabilitation Committee
SOEC Select Advisory Committee
Transportation Advisory Committee

Liaison assignments will be announced Dec. 15. Advertising for community representation on these committees will begin this week.

Yes it is good to go to the community for people who might be interested in providing input on any one of the above committee mandates but what concerns me is the vetting process of who makes the committee. I see a whole lot of special interest people throwing their hat into the ring without having any fiscal conscience. And being unelected, having no responsibility or accountability to the taxpayer.

Perhaps I am being overly concerned. Listening to community opinion and input is a critical requirement of our elected civic representatives. Call me jaded if you like but what is the use of having committee's loaded with special interest objectives only to have council ignore their recommendations. It's just an exercise in futility with the objective of appearing to be transparent and inclusive.

Rather than advertising for loaded committee's, how bout putting out the mandates of these committee's to the general public seeking input from everyone. You will get the special interest response but you will also get some that are not and actually thinking outside the proverbial box. Our elected officials can then weigh a community response rather than a committee of 5 or 7. I would like to think we elected our council to shortlist the communities opinion, not that of special interest committee's. Just sayin cuz I see an exercise in futility unfolding. It's just Litke again with a few new faces.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Re: Leadership by committee?

Post by hozzle »

It's early to say for me, BUT you do bring up a point that was a concern of mine while voting :/
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Wouldn't the accountability fall on the shoulders of the elected officials, and those who "made" these select committees?
I don't see any issue with public interest.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

ToddT wrote: Wouldn't the accountability fall on the shoulders of the elected officials, and those who "made" these select committees?

Ultimately yes, accountability should rest with the elected officials. I am particularly interested however in the vetting process of these committee members. It is one thing to say "these were the recommendations received from the committee" but when the committee has been stacked with like minded people to the people doing the vetting, what have we achieved other than a mirror image guised as consultation? Put the issues to the population for lord's sake and ask for feedback. We live in a world of twitter, facebook, and email. Pose the question to the public. We then have two dozen well paid manager bureaucrats whose job it is to present the info to the elected officials.
"Committees" concern me. For an example, I will be closely watching Peter Waterman in Summerland for the make up of his task forces and committee's. I'll bet you a paycheque they will all align with his mantra and he will receive recommendations that he wants to hear.

ToddT wrote:I don't see any issue with public interest.

Respectfully, you really should.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I understand what you're saying TwoBits. For example if the people doing the decision making for the SOEC are all well paid SOEC employees, now that would be a problem. And it's a common issue in these committee type structures.

What I would like to see is more community involvement. That is a good thing.

I will wait and see before I pass judgement.
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

One way to find out the vetting process I would think is to perhaps volunteer yourself for one of these committees . That is of course if your not too busy writing on castanet ;)
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Or building a liquor sales empire :)

sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

twobits wrote:Or building a liquor sales empire :)

You have a "liquor sales empire" huh? Well good for you, that would keep you too busy I'm sure. With the new challenges of the announced liquor changes like; the Government changing the discount structure that will see all liquor prices go up, as well as the challenge of trying to make it all work since the government is still running a monopoly by still shutting the private stores out from being able to sell to bars, restaurants, festivals and special events. I don't blame you for not volunteering for any of the committees! LOL ;)
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sale4u wrote:

You have a "liquor sales empire" huh? Well good for you, that would keep you too busy I'm sure. With the new challenges of the announced liquor changes like; the Government changing the discount structure that will see all liquor prices go up, as well as the challenge of trying to make it all work since the government is still running a monopoly by still shutting the private stores out from being able to sell to bars, restaurants, festivals and special events. I don't blame you for not volunteering for any of the committees! LOL ;)

So sorry if you misunderstood. I am not a seller of alcohol......just a lowly consumer. To get back on the topic of leadership by committee, I wonder how many businesses, and that is what the City of Penticton is, a business, operate by committee decision that has not been hand appointed by the owner?
There has recently been a significant investment made in the new Cherry Lane Shopping Center liquor outlet. It is affiliated with the license of the Copper Mug Pub. To tie the two together, I am wondering if the owner made that decision to invest significant capital despite the new laws that you suggest are difficult, or was it a committee recommendation?
Perhaps Norm, Cliff, Sam, and Carla were on that committee. Cheers.

sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

TwoBits - I know that the individuals made the decision to move that store some time ago. I was told by one of the principles that they began the process just over 4 years ago. Long before the past city council was elected, before the committee idea was struck by former mayor Ashton. It took that long because of the red tape and the difficulty negotiating with one of the principal stakeholders (tenant) in the mall. That is all I Know. Hope that helps.
As far as "hand picked" I'm not sure how they decide, but im familiar with some that sat on the last committees and it didn't strike me that they were of all the same mind on all the topics discussed. I would like to think of the comittees as more of a think tank than a slate of followers. I've always said that "one person can come up with SOME GOOD ideas but many PEOPLE CAN. usually come up with MANY GREAT ideas".

Return to “Central Okanagan”