Rats?

Trishstathers

Rats?

Post by Trishstathers »

Anyone else seeing a rat or two in around their houses? Uplands-Naramata?

We've never had rats before, moved in 1998...I've seen them running across the road in the Uplands area...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Rats?

Post by Fancy »

There's been discussions on rats from Summerland to Kelowna. They are a problem.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Our cat brought a giant one home the other day before all the snow. Left it right on our bedroom floor. Ugh. If you keep the perimeter of your home clean and clear they shouldn't be a regular problem.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I wonder if the miles of deer fencing that has gone up in those areas in the last decade hasn't also provided safety for the rats from coyotes and thus the population bloom of rats?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Certainly a possibility, but I think the main issue is the provision of shelter and food. They multiply so exponentially fast that once you have a few it's only a matter of time before you have a problem.

I believe most in our area are called the Norway rat and can be managed by raking your leaves before winter.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Raking the leaves won't stop them. Need to get rid of food sources like bird seed and dog food.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Well assuming you aren't leaving food outside. They use the leaves for shelter. Also, don't use old rat poison. I found out the hard way. Had one die under my house. Stunk for 10 days. Awful, awful smell.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Have zero control over neighbours' compost piles, feeding their dogs outside and attracting them with lots of bird seed. Am now appreciating cats a lot more (as long as they are catching the rats).
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Rat Reproduction - National Geographic

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/vid ... production

You can't call them lazy. Once a female rat reproduces, she could have 15000 descendants by the end of just one year!

GROSS EH?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The oxbows along the channel parkway have been a trouble spot over recent years, residential neighbourhoods in that area are particularly at risk.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Hello

I live downtown and the rats are terrible. Last year they ate some of the wires under the hood of my truck, cost me $400.00 to fix. I see them running across Government street , in my backyard, in the alley's. I don't keep any garbage laying around or feed the birds anymore. My dogs try to catch them but the rats are pretty fast.
I have a live trap but have only caught 1 so far. If more people would not leave garbage laying around maybe we could clean-up the rat problem, but that probably won't happen.
These rat's are huge, I think even the neighbourhood cats are afraid of them.

Good Luck
Debby
Have an Awesome Day
Debby
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

The biggest rats I've seen hang out around city hall.LOL

Return to “North Okanagan”