Where exactly does the 30 zone start and end?

southy
Lord of the Board

Where exactly does the 30 zone start and end?

Post by southy »

Tried to comprehend the city of penticton' new 30 zone ... Is it just me or is this confusing. But then again could help with policing costs :)
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Where exactly does the 30 zone start and end?

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Tried to comprehend the city of penticton' new 30 zone ... Is it just me or is this confusing. But then again could help with policing costs :)

It is rather confusing, Southy, for sure. Surely you didn't expect the city to be Transparent and Open with their communicating this to us do you? I believe it has been 30 kmh North of the High school for years, on Main St, though few respect that. Once traffic reaches the 200 block next year, they will have no choice but to slow down to 30 kmh; maybe even 10kmh as it will be gridlock going from three to two lanes, with delivery trucks double parked as well...lol.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Tried to comprehend the city of penticton' new 30 zone ... Is it just me or is this confusing. But then again could help with policing costs :)

And after a short while, people will avoid downtown altogether. You cannot make an area "pedestrian friendly", which seems to be their primary motivation, by slowing traffic to a crawl. "Slow down and shop"....gimme a break. If your wares didn't interest me at 50kph, 30kph is not going to make them any more attractive.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It will be better for the texters when they hit the car in front.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Bsuds wrote:It will be better for the texters when they hit the car in front.

Bsuds .. as I've said in the past .. The city is putting in a text lane for all those texters .. they also plan on making it a toll lane to help off set downtown revitalization costs. No problems.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Hasn't Main Street from Pen Hi down been 30 for two or three years?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Tony wrote:Hasn't Main Street from Pen Hi down been 30 for two or three years?

I believe it HAS, Tony. Its just taken the mayor and council that long to figure it out, report on the changes and try to take credit, most likely...lol.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Main st downtown has been 30 for as long as I can remember.

Making the other streets 30 isn't confusing at all. It's just a pain in the @$$.

If following posted speed limits is confusing one might want to reconsider their preferred method of transportation.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

I was actually being conservative at 2-3 years. I'm pretty sure it's been 30 since they one-wayed it.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

ToddT wrote:Main st downtown has been 30 for as long as I can remember.

Making the other streets 30 isn't confusing at all. It's just a pain in the @$$.

If following posted speed limits is confusing one might want to reconsider their preferred method of transportation.

Are you suggesting we all invest in governed mobility scooters?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

So I almost hit a lamp standard while driving down Main Street this morning listening to the Mayor on CBC Radio talking about the Slow to 30 campaign. As he states, it will allow drivers an opportunity to look at all the downtown has to offer.
Excuse me? There are three lanes of traffic - most vehicles are going to be doing at least 30k - and he wants me to enjoy the view of the unique shops our downtown has to offer. Hell the only thing I see (with the odd exception) is buildings that are in bad need of a facelift if not a complete redo. Perhaps the mayor can hire those scooter folks Twobits talks about and have them do guided tours of our downtown. Only problem is they would have to slow down. Hang on folks - the "I don't believe it" is just starting - stay tuned for more - trust me it's coming I can sense it.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

twobits wrote:
Are you suggesting we all invest in governed mobility scooters?

Lol in this town a "scooter share" program might not be a bad idea. We can use the free parking stalls outside of city hall to store them.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

ToddT wrote:
Lol in this town a "scooter share" program might not be a bad idea. We can use the free parking stalls outside of city hall to store them.

Not sure a scooter can actually DO 30kmh but it might not be a bad idea and once Main street is narrowed down by one entire car lane, there won't be many people going there, except double-parked delivery vans, so they could make it FOUR lanes wide for scooter traffic. Excellent.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Sorry did I say scooter? I meant rascal.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

XT - I heard today that the city has plans to make the outside lane a delivery lane - only delivery vehicles allowed - others will be ticketed and towed :)

OK it was a scene from one of my nightmares last night.

Return to “North Okanagan”