Which is the Best Way to the Coast from Vernon?

Which way do you prefer between Vernon and Merritt?

Via Kamloops and hwy 5
47%
Via Kelowna and hwy 97c
38%
Via Douglas Lake
13%
Via Campbell Creek Rd.
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 32

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Which is the Best Way to the Coast from Vernon?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Just for fun, take Westside Rd. down to Kelowna and go from there.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My quickest via Kamloops

But if time is not priority I will take either of the more scenic routes Via #1 or #3.

These are based on me leaving from north Okanagan.

From Kelowna:

1) Connector fastest

again if time is not a factor then #3 or #1 via Vernon..... Falkland.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sidewalker
Fledgling

Post by sidewalker »

Glacier wrote:Vernon to Merritt via...

Kamloops
  • Number of traffic lights (starting at Mainstreet): 11 (5 in Vernon, 6 in Kamloops)
  • Total distance: 203 km
  • Total elevation climb: 2182m up, 1901m down.
  • Maximum elevation: 1442m
  • Minimum elevation: 340m
  • Average elevation: 737m
Kelowna = 175 km + 1km/100m rise x 413m rise + 0.5km/traffic light x 28 traffic lights = 193 km

hey how you do dat??
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I estimated that for every light, you burn an additional 1/2 km of fuel compared to highway driving. A similar assumption was made for driving up hill.

MORE INFO

Vernon to Merritt via Kamloops
    Time = 2:06
    Average Speed = 97 km/h
    Highest Point = 1444 m

Vernon to Merritt via Kelowna
    Time = 1:59
    Average Speed = 88 km/h
    Highest point = 1728 m

Margin of error notes:
~ hit construction several times going through Kamloops
~ hit Kelowna at midnight so I sailed through town a lot faster than normal, but drove the connector a little slower than normal due to rain.

Additional routes

Vernon to Merritt via Douglas Lake Rd.
    Time = 2:09
    Average Speed = 78 km/h
    Highest point = 968 m

Vernon to Merritt via Campbell Creek Rd.
    Time = 2:13
    Average Speed = 87 km/h
    Highest point = 800 m

Vernon to Merritt via highway 5a
    Time = 2:21
    Average Speed = 91 km/h
    Highest point = 912 m
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

They are pretty much equal in time.

The major difference IMO is stress on your car.

The Kamloops way is flatter. The Kelowna section of the Coq is a tougher climb and puts more stress on your car.

Other than that, its really a toss up (unless you are leaving during "rush hour" for Kelowna traffic, then I'd avoid that way completely).
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I like coming home to Vernon via Kelowna way as the double lanes make travel much easier than that mostly single lane road once you get on hwy 97 from Kamloops.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I was in Merritt at 4:15, and thought the traffic would be too much through Kelowna, so I went through Kamloops. Was back in Vernon before 6:15. Had I gone through Kelowna, it would have been a lot longer given the time of day.

Oh, and the bonus was getting gas at 104.9 in Kamloops, a full 10 cents cheaper than Vernon..
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I know this is an old post but I drove the road to Vernon from Vancouver hundreds of times. In the middle of the night with no traffic through Kamloops is 15 minutes longer but in the winter the Kelowna connector is always in worse condition.
With traffic it's a crap shoot. Lots of lights in Kelowna but only two lanes to Kamloops.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Glacier wrote:I was in Merritt at 4:15, and thought the traffic would be too much through Kelowna, so I went through Kamloops. Was back in Vernon before 6:15. Had I gone through Kelowna, it would have been a lot longer given the time of day.

Oh, and the bonus was getting gas at 104.9 in Kamloops, a full 10 cents cheaper than Vernon..

We plan to go through Merritt to get to Cache Creek. Quite often to up to Falkland and beyond, we use Westside Road, even during the construction phase. I'm looking at someones trip photos and getting really anxious about getting back on the road!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Traveling through Kelowna summed up in one picture
Not the main highway, but the lights are all the same crossroads. And thats just downtown
6891309030_e050a49180_z.jpg
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

vinnied wrote:Traveling through Kelowna summed up in one picture
Not the main highway, but the lights are all the same crossroads. And thats just downtown
6891309030_e050a49180_z.jpg

Couple odd things with that picture:
Pandosy is on the correct side, Water is not plus when did Harvey get a hill on it. I suspect photoshop.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

vinnied wrote:Traveling through Kelowna summed up in one picture

Actually its Bernard looking east. was just meant to give an idea of what people would have to contend with while driving though this lovely town
same amount of lights on harvey plus more
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

vinnied wrote:Actually its Bernard looking east. was just meant to give an idea of what people would have to contend with while driving though this lovely town
same amount of lights on harvey plus more

The Island is almost as bad. I drove from Parksville to Victoria, and I can't tell you how many lights I had to stop at. It was more than I can count, and I can count up to at least 20.
- Douglas Murray
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

The Best Way:

If you've never done this tour, put it on the list.
From Vernon straight through to Cache Creek. Head south to Lillooet, then head west toward Carpenter Lake. At the eastern end of Carpenter Lake, head over the treacherous but worthy Seton Portage. Head down the frightening mountainside into D'Arcy, then on past Pemberton, through Whistler and into Squamish. Now you only have a hop skip and jump into West Vancouver.

If you want directions for the best way from Vancouver to Vernon, that's another thread. :D
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I agree, except I like the route up to Gold Bridge from Lillooet and over the Hurley Pass down into Pemberton.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”