Which is the Best Way to the Coast from Vernon?

Which way do you prefer between Vernon and Merritt?

Via Kamloops and hwy 5
47%
Via Kelowna and hwy 97c
38%
Via Douglas Lake
13%
Via Campbell Creek Rd.
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 32

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Which is the Best Way to the Coast from Vernon?

Post by Glacier »

I work with several people from Vernon and they say they prefer to travel via Kamloops to the coast. Is it faster or is it just better because there aren't so many lights?

Which way do you prefer to get to the coast from Vernon? via Kamloops, Kelowna, Douglas Lake...?
Last edited by Glacier on Jun 27th, 2012, 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Which is the Best Way to the Coast from Vernon?

Post by gardengirl »

Glacier wrote:I work with several people from Vernon and they say they prefer to travel via Kamloops to the coast. Is it faster or is it just better because there aren't so many lights?

Which way do you prefer to get to the coast from Vernon? via Kamloops, Kelowna, Douglas Lake...?

I imagine they are going, Kamloops, Meritt, Coq as opposed to using the Fraser Canyon route.
I think it's a toss-up. Vernon to Kelowna, Merritt would take about 2.5hrs if you are making good time. Vernon to Kamloops about 1.5 through Falkland. Not sure how long from Kamloops to Merritt.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's about 45 minutes from Kamloops to Merritt.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Sounds like you might save 30-45 minutes, especially if you have to deal with Kelowna traffic. The Kamloops bypass probably gets you through way faster than stopping at all the lights in Kelowna.
As long as the Falkland stretch goes ok, you might save a fair bit of time.
If you get stuck behind someone pokey, you could burn up that time between Vernon and Monte Lake.
See23

Post by See23 »

If traffic is an issue on any route I always prefer four lanes. If you know how to use your mirrors and make safe lane changes you can get through anything with four lanes. Two lanes are a showcase for the maniacs. Depends on what kind of driver you are. But if your good at it...

How many people would pass a cop on the highway if he's doing the speed limit? Do it so you can get out of the dangerous cluster of cowards playing follow the leader! (10-15km max over. It works)

Driving slower then the flow of traffic is like driving in reverse. Everything that's going to happen is coming up from behind. Get with it or get out of the way!

I know it's more then you asked for.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A 4 lane highway kind of sucks if it it littered with traffic lights.
- Douglas Murray
See23

Post by See23 »

True.
It's just about weighing out the options and dealing with what we've got at what time of day.
I think the Vernon to Kamloops route is more fun on the right day.
Oh yeah... and I live in Kelowna so it doesn't matter to me.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Last summer I went from Westwold through Douglas Lake to Merritt. Short, but the road was slow on the gravel section.
- Douglas Murray
chrisv
Fledgling

Post by chrisv »

I always take the Kamloops-Merrit-Coast route, both work out to the same time roughly for me. Summer I always take Douglas Lake ranch, and if the road is good it saves about 20 minutes. I would loose that time however doing my usual side track around the toll booth on the "secret" bypass road. Dont need to do that this year anymore though :discodance:
okanaganchoppers

Post by okanaganchoppers »

I would have to agree that Kamploops through Meritt onto the Coquihalla would be the quickest and least stressful route. I've never taken the Douglas Lake Ranch route though, it may be scenic but I would think you could lose time taking that route.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The best way all depends on what type of vehicle being used,car,truck,semi,motorcycle ? and time factors,quick and dirrect, or leasurlly cruise ? From Vernon no matter what type, the Kelowna route is out,just a hassle. Motorcycles are more entertaining on the 2 lane, and semis & 4wheelers make better time on the 4 lane. 2 cents worth! Thanks
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

okanaganchoppers wrote:I would have to agree that Kamploops through Meritt onto the Coquihalla would be the quickest and least stressful route. I've never taken the Douglas Lake Ranch route though, it may be scenic but I would think you could lose time taking that route.

You do need to take some care using the Douglas Lk route as a portion of it is a logging road.
Depending on the time of year, it could be treacherous. Most of it is in pretty good shape, but there are definitely some rough areas with deep ruts. One things start to melt, it might be quite the mud bog. Of course, there are also the other vehicles on the road. It probably would not be a problem on the weekend, but mid-week, you could find yourself nose to nose with a fully loaded truck.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

gardengirl wrote:
okanaganchoppers wrote:I would have to agree that Kamploops through Meritt onto the Coquihalla would be the quickest and least stressful route. I've never taken the Douglas Lake Ranch route though, it may be scenic but I would think you could lose time taking that route.

You do need to take some care using the Douglas Lk route as a portion of it is a logging road.
Depending on the time of year, it could be treacherous. Most of it is in pretty good shape, but there are definitely some rough areas with deep ruts. One things start to melt, it might be quite the mud bog. Of course, there are also the other vehicles on the road. It probably would not be a problem on the weekend, but mid-week, you could find yourself nose to nose with a fully loaded truck.

If gas prices stay as low as they are now, I look forward to a day drive say, Kelowna to Westwold and on through the Douglas Lake Road. Stay over night in Merrit so as not to be in such a rush to get back to Kelowna and take advantage of all the chances to stop and gawk at nature, lakes etc. Hwy 5 has a bird sanctuary I'd like to see again. Even if means doubling back, I have to review my map books to check. I'd like to come back to Kelowna on Kane Valley Road, an excellent backroad. I missed the weekend drives when I had a store and a job which made it all impossible.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
stwilson

Post by stwilson »

I have done both many times and they are about the same time. However if you get stuck behind someone on the Kamloops way it loses any advantage it might have had. Also it is a bit longer than the Kelowna way. As I live close to Kal lake it is now too much of an effort to drive all the way to Swan lake on onwards, so I always go through Kelowna.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Down to Summerland, hang a right - back road to Princton, down to Hope & Van. Often takes us 3 or 4 days. <G>
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Central Okanagan”