You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

danmartin
Board Meister

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by danmartin »

To RV,
Actually my memories of Vernon go back to the mid 50's! I very much enjoy this thread and many memories have been jogged by what other people have written. Thanks for telling me what is allowed to be written though!!!! Does anyone out there remember when the Burger King moved. There was a Lutheran church on this corner. (43 av. and 27 st) It may have been already mentioned elsewhere in this thread but can someone remind me of the year it was moved?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

southy wrote:Last time I checked rvrepairnut ... Castanet has moderators to enforce rules. To danmartin ... I agree with you Dan. I lived in Vernon up to 1987 and I had forgotten all about Burger King being on the corner. Wasn't there also a convenience store and gas station right across the street on the corner, can't remember the name of it.

I am pretty sure it was a Red Rooster.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

yes garden girl as I already posted it was red rooster
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

danmartin wrote:To RV,
Actually my memories of Vernon go back to the mid 50's! I very much enjoy this thread and many memories have been jogged by what other people have written. Thanks for telling me what is allowed to be written though!!!! Does anyone out there remember when the Burger King moved. There was a Lutheran church on this corner. (43 av. and 27 st) It may have been already mentioned elsewhere in this thread but can someone remind me of the year it was moved?

no one is telling you what can be posted.Dont know why your saying this.AlL I suggested and in my opinion the thread was really all about OLD TIME VERNON and as I already opined the first Burger King is hardly old time.At least as I view Vernon
Now if U can remember North End drive In Burger restaurant now that's old time for sure
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

We also had a Red Rooster on 35th Street right behind what is now Teeter Totter toys (which used to be a Mac's) and where Happy Days is now.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rvrepairnut wrote:that's what this thread was all about OLD OLD TIME stuff

So is there a certain date that has been established to define "old old time stuff"?

danmartin wrote: Does anyone out there remember when the Burger King moved.

They didn't really move, at least not by the traditional definition. The location by 43rd Ave shut down in the early 90s, it was only there for maybe 5 years or so. After the 27th St/43rd Ave shut down, we were Burger King -less again until the new one opened up, not sure when that was, but quite a few years after the other one closed for sure ... I want to say early 2000s.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

danmartin wrote:To RV,

rvrepairnut wrote:no one is telling you what can be posted.Dont know why your saying this.AlL I suggested and in my opinion the thread was really all about OLD TIME VERNON and as I already opined the first Burger King is hardly old time.At least as I view Vernon
Now if U can remember North End drive In Burger restaurant now that's old time for sure

I would suggest to RV that he refer back to the original post. There is nothing about any specific time frame whatsoever.
I enjoy memories and comments from everyone. Sometimes, one comment will twig everyone's memory and other things come up. I think it is very counterproductive to slam someone for their perception of time.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

no one is slaming anyone.People whom say people are slaming are wrong(misguided) I truly felt the thread was started to bring back old time memorys not reasonable current ones/My bad and carry on
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

rvrepairnut wrote:no one is slaming anyone.People whom say people are slaming are wrong(misguided) I truly felt the thread was started to bring back old time memorys not reasonable current ones/My bad and carry on

Again, what you consider to be current, may not be what others consider current. You mentioned memories from the 1950s, that was well before I was born and is not really relevant to me. I have memories from the 70s forward.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

well a Burger king built in Vernon in the early nineties is hardly a worth a mention on this thread in my humble opinion/
its supposed to be about childhood nastolgic events in my opinion from many years ago
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rvrepairnut wrote:well a Burger king built in Vernon in the early nineties is hardly a worth a mention on this thread in my humble opinion/
its supposed to be about childhood nastolgic events in my opinion from many years ago

Ok gotcha, never mind the childhood nostalgic events of younger members.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

rvrepairnut wrote:well a Burger king built in Vernon in the early nineties is hardly a worth a mention on this thread in my humble opinion/

So please tell us exactly what your criteria is. The early 90s is 24 years ago. Hardly recent.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

rvrepairnut wrote:its supposed to be about childhood nastolgic events in my opinion from many years ago

So what a childhood memory for you can be different era for someone else and they are allowed an opinion too.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Just for anyone looking to find out about the church on the corner of 43 ave & 27 St, it name was St. John's Lutheran it was torn down in 1985.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

While we are in that area of town, and forgive me if I get this wrong ... is it 48th avenue or 48th street? The one that runs behind Watkin Motors and comes out by the tracks? Been awhile .. there were a number of businesses along there that I can't quite remember ... one for sure was a carpet place run by a Jerry Spelchan, might have been called Spelchan's Carpet? Where did Jerry end up he was a nice guy. Had a brother who worked there to I believe. Wish I could remember some of the other businesses along that road. Anyone remember? Thanks

Return to “North Okanagan”