You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by Dizzy1 »

Alvis wrote:Was reading the Morning Star about Klaus Tribes and KT's Pizza and Burger Company.
Has it really been 19 years?
Has Boston Pizza really been at its current 32nd Street location that long? I remember it being there in 1996.

Went into KT's, or what used to be KT's yesterday ... they've changed the name to Billy D's (at least on the door), same menu though, so its still the same classic menu as BP ... just different names ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Early shot of Tillicum Raceway. The trees are so short! Must've been 1970.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

My apologies if this has already been brough up, I'm getting older ya know. The Geniers .. Peter and Elsie wasn't it. I remember their store. They were both wonderful individuals. Had a large home up towards Silver Star. Are they still around or have they passed. I knew Elsie better than Peter and what I appreciated more than anything about her was the way she would speak her mind. She had no qualms about saying it the way it was. Really respected her.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Another business I remember from downtown was Boutque Canadiana. For the life of me I can't remember the owners name. Can still remember what he looked like but ... wait was his last name Schaffer? Whatever became of him and the business. Obviously I don't live in Vernon.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

southy wrote:Another business I remember from downtown was Boutque Canadiana. For the life of me I can't remember the owners name. Can still remember what he looked like but ... wait was his last name Schaffer? Whatever became of him and the business. Obviously I don't live in Vernon.

The business relocated to the Village Green mall several years ago.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

I remember when Boutique Canadiana was downtown, seems to me it was near the show Capital (Towne)Theatre. Wasn't it an older lady who started it? Was her name Oram?

Didn't Geniers have some sort of electronics store?
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

superbee wrote:I remember when Boutique Canadiana was downtown, seems to me it was near the show Capital (Towne)Theatre. Wasn't it an older lady who started it? Was her name Oram?

Didn't Geniers have some sort of electronics store?

Is that Edna oram you are thinking about? I don't her conenction to Boutique Canadiana.
Geniers used to have an extensive elctronics store. I think they were in the current SUN FM building downtown?

Speaking of....I iwsh I had a CKAL window sticker picture.

I am really feeling nostalgic for NOCA chocolate ice cream.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Right now I'd love to have a paper bag of fries from the North End (Boogies) with a paper cup of their gravy, a burger from the Skyway Drive In, and a thick shake from Grace's Dairy Drive In. And then pull a couple of mainers.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Pulling mainers. Suicide hill. It was never the same when the city decided to make it safe.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

gardengirl wrote:Pulling mainers. Suicide hill. It was never the same when the city decided to make it safe.

Mayor Anne Clark. You can thank her.

I wish somebody could post a colour picture of Suicide Hill all painted up by the grads.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Right! I had forgotten about that tradition.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

gardengirl wrote:Right! I had forgotten about that tradition.

Used to be a hill behind the police station in Lumby (Glencaird Street as I recall) that would get painted too as well as the old Black Rock Road that linked up to Francis Street. I don't think Black Rock Road graffiti was sanctioned though.
Tommy Douglas
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The hill in Lumby on Glenciard was right beside Eric Foster's house. He tried for several years to get those darned kids from painting the street near his house. It was an annual complaint from him until he got on council and those darned kids had to quit behaving so badly.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

gardengirl wrote:Pulling mainers. Suicide hill. It was never the same when the city decided to make it safe.

When we were in school, in the early grades (I think 1 and 2, maybe 3?) we used to go to swimming lessons. The bus would take us from Silver Star Elementary to the Rec Center. If we were REALLY good, on the last day of swimming lessons the bus driver would take us down Suicide Hill on the way there and up Suicide Hill on the way back. Sitting int he back of the bus made the experience even better!
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Would sure like to see some pictures of Vernon, from the street level during the 70's and 80's.

Return to “North Okanagan”