You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

CR250R40
Fledgling

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by CR250R40 »

Gotaway, where did you find the ads you're posting? Are they from vintage flyers?
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

CR250R40 wrote:Gotaway, where did you find the ads you're posting? Are they from vintage flyers?

And what year would they be from, interesting phone numbers!

Nice pics again CR, I am enjoying them :D
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Wonderful posts. I hope there is a photo of the horse mural at the Museum.

The 3 digit phone numbers were before me, but we had a 4 digit home phone number for years. Then came LInden, and our 4 digit number, so we could dial 2, and then the number. Later, we had to dial the full 542, and then our number. Okanagan Tel also added the prefix '545' to increase the number of available Vernon phone numbers.

Yesterday I was beside a young man texting away. I remembered that it was only 40 years ago we had to verbally give our phone number to a live operator in the Ok Tel building, and she would manually connect in our long distance call. How times have changed!
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I remember when they built the B.C. Tel building (I believe it is still the phone building, across from the old Sigalet Bros Auto), at that time, it was the tallest building in Vernon!
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

Back in the 1970s, two things always caught my attention every time my family traveled Highway 97 to Kelowna -- Flintstones Bedrock City and Adventureland. I was lucky enough to FULLY enjoy Bedrock City. I wasn't lucky when it came to Adventureland -- parents felt the slide was too unsafe for a boy of my curiosity. I had to watch kids swoop down the slide. [Pout]

I'm sure any child living in the Okanagan during the 1970s/early '80s popped their head outside automobile windows whenever passing Adventureland. Lake water on one side of the two-lane highway, a theme park on the treed hillside. The sight always brought a smile and incited imagination.

CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

Silver Star Mountain as a "one lodge" ski resort before it sprawled into the vast world getaway it is today. I skied Tillicum Ski Hill for the majority because it was more affordable, but when extra money came in hand I skied Silver Star from 1977-1981. At the time Silver Star had three chair lifts -- the Blue Chair, Green Chair, and the Yellow Chair. Anybody recall the names of the two T-Bar lifts?

Last edited by CR250R40 on Jun 4th, 2012, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

What I remember is Poma lift to right of mogul run, as for T-bar lifts at this moment I'm drawing a blank.

Bunny Hill was lower one I think.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Town Tee, Mid Tee and High Tee. It was a real bugger to get over to the mid Tee from town Tee as I recall.
Would sure like to see some pictures of Tillicum either as a ski hill or bobslide.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

So there were 3 T-Bars. It's nice when members remember. Totally forgot about the Poma, too. Thanks for the refreshers. I also forgot how tough it was to crossover to the Mid Tee. Pooped out just thinking about it.

I had Silver Star and Tillicum mountain pamphlets but tossed them when I thought they were no longer needed in my life.

I still have a mental image of Tillicum Ski Hill pre and post Chairlift/Bobslide extension. Tillicum was a very fun hill.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

I posted this shot of Tillicum Ski Hill and Tillicum Raceway on pg 3 of this thread. This is the only source I have of the ski hill. This shot is from 1972, years prior to the Chairlift and Bobsled expansion.

Left side was the Face, some wondering trails. [T-bar up the Center of Trees.] Right top of the hill was called Suicide, rarely skied due to crappy snow and zero grooming. The bottom right was Bunny Hill, with a Rope Tow.

zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I so remember the basic lodge at Silver Star! The other day I went thru all the posts cuz I thought someone was trying to remember a book store, K&K Bookstore, started small on Main St then moved to a bigger location I think one street over?
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

I guess the Tillicum Ski Hill is all overgrown now? I do remember seeing a photo awhile ago on here showing not much left of the track. I remember when Sandy and Molly Boyd, and their kids, lived in a BX Ranch house, with a red barn, right alongside of East Vernon Road. One winter, right across the road, they had a little rope tow set up for their kids, going up the hill across from their house. This was a later in the '60's. The Boyds then moved up to the Tillicum Hill.

Does anyone remember when the little girl, I think their daughter, disappeared one day? They searched and searched, and she was found way up the hill, too far everyone thought for a little tyke to go.

I remember the days of the old chalet up Silver Star. I went up with a friend and her grandpa in his old car to watch snow events during one of the first Winter Carnivals. The sewage system wasn't great, no power except for generators. My husband skiied there, had one of the original lockers, and we have kept his photo badge for a yearly ski pass.

I haven't been up Silver Star for many years and it sounds like there's a town up there now. The winter sky at night is really lit up, I guess from evening skiing, and the street lights, etc.
oldphart

Post by oldphart »

The little girl that went missing was named Janell Goudge, daughter of Gerry and Jill (I think that was her name). Gerry was an instructor and Tillicum and later Silver Star as I recall. Wonderful family, and a happy ending to that search many years ago
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

oldphart wrote:The little girl that went missing was named Janell Goudge, daughter of Gerry and Jill (I think that was her name). Gerry was an instructor and Tillicum and later Silver Star as I recall. Wonderful family, and a happy ending to that search many years ago

Thanks for the refresher. Up until 10 years ago I remembered everything about this frightening event. [Even recall hearing on CJIB the girl requested a "P & J sandwich" to her rescuer when found. As this past decade cruised along bits and pieces of this story escaped me. I need to eat the brain food you eat Oldphart to retain what I do know. [Smiling] My memory has faded so much I thought the lost child was a boy.

Return to “North Okanagan”