You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Craigrosie

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by Craigrosie »

For Superbee: Hi, it's amazing to see a reference to Gita Leather. You were wondering who the Gita peopIe were. I was one of the original "Gita's" from it's beginning to it's dissolution, and although it has been, ouch, 40 or so years, our last location was downtown Vernon behind, let me guess, The National Hotel?, Coldstream Hotel?...I think The National. We made all forms of leather goods from coats to purses and bags, to chaps. We even, myself and a co-worker, gave a full-length blue hand-laced leather coat to Pierre Trudeau for his wife, Margaret. He was campaigning for re-election in 1972 in Kelowna and we travelled there to present the gift. It gave us a lot of national buzz as I recall. I did the hand lacing on that particular coat. We also sold cowboy boots and that is how I got here and noticed your post. I had a pair of boots from our store that has lasted to this day...it's label has been long worn and I wanted to find out who the manufacturer was. If you have any questions re: Gita Leather, how it started, who was involved, etc, etc., please let me know, I'd be happy to oblige. Cheers.
Craigrosie

Post by Craigrosie »

superbee wrote:That is me, and I am still using that purse, and it has been what, 40 years now?? I have used it for so long, I'm afraid if I changed purses, I would probably lose any another. And my Gita Leather purse is just fine still, so why not use it? Great craftmanship is right.

I also wonder what happened to Gita Leather! When I bought my purse, Gita was located on the street behind what is now the Towne Theatre. Back then I heard the Gita Leather folks were a group of hippie-type gals and guys who lived out on the West Side Road somewhere in a commune. I don't know if that is true. I do know they did beautiful and long-lasting leatherwork. I have a lovely golden suede fringed vest that I think came from Gita, as well as a wellworn but still nice deerskin jacket.

Anyone know who the Gita Leather people were, and whatever happened to the store Gita Leather? Your beautiful and unique leatherwork lives on!!
Barbara Kew

Post by Barbara Kew »

Winkie Wrappers
The Sutherland Arms Hotel
War Canoes
Upper Rope Tow
Poma Lift
George Dye and Nickel a Point Snooker
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

I sure do remember Winkie Wrappers and getting into the Saturday afternoon shows at the Capitol Theatre. The admission was one Winkie Wrapper and the manager stood in the lobby as we all dropped our wrappers into a big box. All those kids, it was loud but it was fun. If I remember correctly it was mostly short westerns with lots of shooting, and several cartoons. My husband remembers taking his cap gun and his bean shooter to the shows. Frank King was a smart man using those waxy bread wrappers for admission. We needed a steady supply of those white wrappers with the emblem of the winking king with his tilted gold crown for admission to his Saturday afternoons shows.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Where was the Sutherland Arms Hotel? I think there is a Sutherland Avenue in Kelowna.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

superbee wrote:Where was the Sutherland Arms Hotel? I think there is a Sutherland Avenue in Kelowna.

maybe but never ever in Vernon.
BCGrrrrl

Post by BCGrrrrl »

As recently as 1959 the local square dancers hosted a party at the Sutherland Arms Hotel. It was located in Okanagan Landing, right on the beach. I believe it later burned down.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

BCGrrrrl wrote:As recently as 1959 the local square dancers hosted a party at the Sutherland Arms Hotel. It was located in Okanagan Landing, right on the beach. I believe it later burned down.

the one that burned down was the lakeside hotel and the nite club was the golden spike owned by Joe keenon .If it ever called the Sutherland I have no knowledge
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

doesn't say where the hotel was located but here is a reference.

http://starc.squaredance.bc.ca/looking_ ... time.shtml
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

While I was taking a walk near there yesterday, it occurred to me that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't recall what used to occupy the fenced-off vacant lot at the corner of 27th St and 43rd Ave next door to Pizza Hut. I've lived here a long time so I should know this, was it a gas station? Anyone remember why it was torn down? The lot's been vacant for a long time.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Verminator wrote:While I was taking a walk near there yesterday, it occurred to me that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't recall what used to occupy the fenced-off vacant lot at the corner of 27th St and 43rd Ave next door to Pizza Hut. I've lived here a long time so I should know this, was it a gas station? Anyone remember why it was torn down? The lot's been vacant for a long time.

It was a Chevron gas station, no idea why Chevron pulled out. Mostly likely reason low sales and/or leaking tanks (only my opinion).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Verminator wrote:While I was taking a walk near there yesterday, it occurred to me that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't recall what used to occupy the fenced-off vacant lot at the corner of 27th St and 43rd Ave next door to Pizza Hut. I've lived here a long time so I should know this, was it a gas station? Anyone remember why it was torn down? The lot's been vacant for a long time.

I think you mean 27th St and 45th Ave?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

danmartin wrote:I think you mean 27th St and 45th Ave?

Oops, I knew where Verminator was talking about because of the mentioned Pizza Hut.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=+27th+St ... 12,70,,0,0
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

danmartin wrote:
I think you mean 27th St and 45th Ave?

Sorry, my bad...Now that my memory bank's been refreshed, I recall there was an issue some years ago with a gas station's leaking tanks. Dunno if it was this one, but that would explain why it was torn down.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I remember the guy who worked the night shift there - scrawny with a moustache - was a nice guy
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “North Okanagan”