Best place for Pizza?

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Best place for Pizza?

Post by Queen K »

PW, okay, I'll have to doctor it up abit like I do with a bunch of other stuff.

Tica, Vernon who? :-"
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Grizzly550
Fledgling

Post by Grizzly550 »

Queen K wrote::coffeecanuck: You guys are killing me here.

Serious pizza question: Which canned pizza sauce is the best? The all seem to fall flat in taste. Tried Primo Pizza sauce, it was okay.

Is there a BEST pizza sauce without having to fly to Italy to get it?

Are you just looking for a tomato sauce? Cause I hardly use it on my pizzas anymore. White sauce or bbq sauce for any chicken pizza, mayo is yummy with peperoni, or just skip it and use olive oil, spinich and garlic or... oh goodness.. I'm getting hungry now.
When I was a kid my mom used ketchup and made hamburger pizza. Not sure if it was any good cause I've never tried it as an adult...

Edit to make my post relevent: My favorite pizza place is Top Choice. When we order pizza its a "special" build your own type thing. Always the same, but not very often. Last time I ordered I ordered it wrong - and the woman on the other end of the phone laughed and pointed out I'd forgotten one of our usual toppings. Not bad service when you only order twice a year. (and if you've been in there, you know they aren't computerized - it's human service!)
okanaganchoppers

Post by okanaganchoppers »

*removed/Jo*
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Grizzly550 wrote:mayo is yummy with peperoni,

Hmmm... now you've intrigued me.

or just skip it and use olive oil, spinich and garlic or... oh goodness.. I'm getting hungry now.

I don't know why this reminded me, but I miss this Pizza i used to be able to get in Edmonton. A spinach pizza, but oh so good. Bottom layer of bacon (and I mean a LAYER, not a sprinkling of toppings), generous amount of spinach, mozza, and feta on top. Decadent!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ok, I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that, but seriously, how can one use Little Ceaser's and "good" in the same sentence? :200:

Their $5 Hot'n'Ready pizza isn't even worth $5 :dyinglaughing:

Sadly, its hard to find real traditional Itallian pizza here, so as far as American style pizza goes, Top Choice is probably one of the better ones in town, the crust has a bit of kick to it, the sauce is good, toppings are pretty good and they don't skimp on the cheese like most other places.

Boston Pizza is pretty good, Pizza Hut used to be good but they're not nearly as greasy and cheesy as they used to be, Domino's is probably the best you'll get from a franchise pizza place, Papa Murphey's is bland and costs just the same as any other place yet you still have to back it.

To be honest, most frozen pizza's such as Dr.Oetker (from Germany) are some of the best on the market now.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Anyhow, I haven't ordered pizza from anywhere for years. I make my own (usually 4 at a time) and freeze them for quick dinners when I don't have the time or inclination to be making dinner.
It's also waaaay cheaper.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Dizzy1 wrote:Ok, I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that, but seriously, how can one use Little Ceaser's and "good" in the same sentence? :200:

Their $5 Hot'n'Ready pizza isn't even worth $5 :dyinglaughing:

Sadly, its hard to find real traditional Itallian pizza here, so as far as American style pizza goes, Top Choice is probably one of the better ones in town, the crust has a bit of kick to it, the sauce is good, toppings are pretty good and they don't skimp on the cheese like most other places.

Boston Pizza is pretty good, Pizza Hut used to be good but they're not nearly as greasy and cheesy as they used to be, Domino's is probably the best you'll get from a franchise pizza place, Papa Murphey's is bland and costs just the same as any other place yet you still have to back it.

To be honest, most frozen pizza's such as Dr.Oetker (from Germany) are some of the best on the market now.

Little cearsers pizza is good and the hot and ready for the money are fine.Last time i had dominos it sucked as far as my taste goes.I have heard Top choice is good so iam trying them next time.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If Little Caesars were good pizza they wouldn't have to charge $5 in order to get people to buy them. Just sayin'. If you've ever been to Little Italy, 10 to 1 you'll never buy Little Caesars again.

Queen K: We like to use the vodka spaghetti sauce in a jar that you can buy in the Super Store. Makes very good pizza!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We used the vodka stuff for pasta but never thought of pizza sauce. Do they even make it anymore?

Italians wouldn't even recognize our pizzas, they use an olive oil/garlic base for theirs.

Okay, to be fair to the thread, I've never lived in Vernon and have no idea what the pizza joints are like there. Just popped into my head about the sauces we've tried and failed to like and put it out there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

YES, we have tried Papa Murphy's on more than one occasion to give it the benefit of the doubt, as I said, it blows......
QK - make your own sauce............
We very, very seldom buy pizza anymore, make our own at home..........would probably buy take out more often but haven't found anything worth buying.........
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Queen K wrote::coffeecanuck: You guys are killing me here.

Serious pizza question: Which canned pizza sauce is the best? The all seem to fall flat in taste. Tried Primo Pizza sauce, it was okay.

Is there a BEST pizza sauce without having to fly to Italy to get it?

As Phoenix already said, pretty much ANY canned sauce will do. For me, to get "that" flavour I usually add oregano and garlic. Some of the Italian Blend spices you can get are pretty good as well as specialty pizza seasoning. I like to add oregano/extra spices on top of the cheeze prior to baking. I also like to put a thin ring of sauce on the edge of the crust so that as it bakes, the natural sugars in the sauce caramelize giving a nice flavour ring on the crust. I also like to add a little bit of medium of old cheddar on top too. I always bake my pizzas with the cheeze on top of everything. It prevents the topping from being dried out during the cooking, especially meats. Fresh tomatoes I wouldn't cover as again, you want the natural sugar to caramelize. Pineapples definitely get covered with cheeze.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Grizzly550
Fledgling

Post by Grizzly550 »

Fritzthecat wrote:As Phoenix already said, pretty much ANY canned sauce will do. For me, to get "that" flavour I usually add oregano and garlic. Some of the Italian Blend spices you can get are pretty good as well as specialty pizza seasoning. I like to add oregano/extra spices on top of the cheeze prior to baking. I also like to put a thin ring of sauce on the edge of the crust so that as it bakes, the natural sugars in the sauce caramelize giving a nice flavour ring on the crust. I also like to add a little bit of medium of old cheddar on top too. I always bake my pizzas with the cheeze on top of everything. It prevents the topping from being dried out during the cooking, especially meats. Fresh tomatoes I wouldn't cover as again, you want the natural sugar to caramelize. Pineapples definitely get covered with cheeze.

Sounds delicious!
Soo... what do you charge for delivery? I'll take two large pizza for tonight, about 6pm?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We've been making our own pizza for quite a while now, just tried a new product from Costco. The tomato sauce fell flat but next time I'll doctor it up as suggested. It is nice to get the real thing once in a while tho.
Grizzly550
Fledgling

Post by Grizzly550 »

Queen K wrote:We've been making our own pizza for quite a while now, just tried a new product from Costco. The tomato sauce fell flat but next time I'll doctor it up as suggested. It is nice to get the real thing once in a while tho.

Have you tried to costco "take and bake"? I eye them up once in a while, but I've never tried them.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Grizzly550 wrote:Have you tried to costco "take and bake"? I eye them up once in a while, but I've never tried them.

They're not as good as they used to be. At least I wasn't impressed with them the last time we had them.

I'm still a fan of pizza from a pizza place (never taste the same at home), but when we do bake one at home, Costco has a 3-pack of pepperoni pizza's for around $15 (with the rest of their frozen pizza's, red box) that we use as a base and add toppings, even though it's pretty tasty by itself.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “Central Okanagan”