Investment companies in Vernon

eros_sm

Investment companies in Vernon

Post by eros_sm »

Although RRSP season is over, where do you go to invest? What services do they provide? etc... Any recommendations?
intheknow
Board Meister

Re: Investment companies in Vernon

Post by intheknow »

Try Bruce sheperd at Edward Jones on 27 street next to court house.Very good smart person with tons of investment knowledge
bernieremy

Post by bernieremy »

Go see Bev @ Primerica across from timmies in Vernon .Tell that ol broad , Ole Smelley sent you in. Will give ya the low down and a free beer or :sunshine:
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

eros_sm wrote:Although RRSP season is over, where do you go to invest? What services do they provide? etc... Any recommendations?

I use an online discount brokerage. What you use depends on your needs and knowledge base, not on some stranger's recommendations.

I would first ask you, have you got a written financial plan? If not, forget about investing (home plate) for now and concentrate on getting to first base. If you have, ask yourself if you have the time, interest and knowledge for do-it-yourself investing. If not, get an advisor (and pay the associated fees).
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

Homeownertoo wrote:
eros_sm wrote:Although RRSP season is over, where do you go to invest? What services do they provide? etc... Any recommendations?

I use an online discount brokerage. What you use depends on your needs and knowledge base, not on some stranger's recommendations.

I would first ask you, have you got a written financial plan? If not, forget about investing (home plate) for now and concentrate on getting to first base. If you have, ask yourself if you have the time, interest and knowledge for do-it-yourself investing. If not, get an advisor (and pay the associated fees).

your assertion is that a starngers recomendation is bad? The person came on the forum asking for recomendations ?Obviously it will be a stranger that replys.I say Bruce Shepard is the best in Vernon
so there!! You do not need a written plan especially if your new to the game as How can you write something u know nothing about? Go see him and he will write u a plan based on your financial abilty.There is no committment but will give you a start.Brent Gillchrist is another one.There are a few good ones in town.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

intheknow wrote:
Homeownertoo wrote:

your assertion is that a starngers recomendation is bad? The person came on the forum asking for recomendations ?Obviously it will be a stranger that replys.I say Bruce Shepard is the best in Vernon
so there!! You do not need a written plan especially if your new to the game as How can you write something u know nothing about? Go see him and he will write u a plan based on your financial abilty.There is no committment but will give you a start.Brent Gillchrist is another one.There are a few good ones in town.

Your posting is a good advertisement for why not to follow some stranger's recommendation.

It was pretty clear from the posting that the OP likely did not have a financial plan. And if you think he/she does not need one, you are badly misnamed as well as misinformed.

If you are "new to the game", you are especially in need of one. If you know nothing about one, you will need some help, and going to a broker at Edward Jones is not the kind of help I mean. And plans are not written based on your ability (ability to do what?).

You clearly do not know that investing advice is the last step in the process of financial planning. Advising someone who is not familiar with this process and lacks a financial plan, to just call up a broker is bad advice that I cringe to think someone might actually follow.

I advise the OP to google financial planning in Canada and learn how to find a suitable planner, and go from there. Do not call up a broker and ask where to put your money, regardless of what anyone here might say.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

Homeownertwo
I want to cry out and call you an idiot whom thinks the only opinion that means anything is your own
But will reframe from doing so.This person the way i read it was looking for some sound financial
Investing/planning advice and is looking for a recomendation.I gave him one which in my opinion will serve him well.For you to come on here with all your drivel about how wrong I am and how right you are etc make,s me laugh.Bruce is not a broker and that tells me you know nothing about what I was suggesting.Hes a very experienced financial planner whom has lots of happy clients.I find him a little too conservative for my style.You are very condesending and I take exception to that also.
I am 58 years old.I retired at age 45.I have never had a house mortgage since 1983.I own many commercial propertys and business.all paid for.I winter in PS for 5 months.I worked my *bleep* off for many years and learned how to invest in a different way,s so Please dont confront me with your BS
The person asked for a recomendation and I gave him a very astute one EOS
:hailjo:
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

intheknow wrote:Homeownertwo
I want to cry out and call you an idiot whom thinks the only opinion that means anything is your own
But will reframe from doing so.This person the way i read it was looking for some sound financial
Investing/planning advice and is looking for a recomendation.I gave him one which in my opinion will serve him well.For you to come on here with all your drivel about how wrong I am and how right you are etc make,s me laugh.Bruce is not a broker and that tells me you know nothing about what I was suggesting.Hes a very experienced financial planner whom has lots of happy clients.I find him a little too conservative for my style.You are very condesending and I take exception to that also.
I am 58 years old.I retired at age 45.I have never had a house mortgage since 1983.I own many commercial propertys and business.all paid for.I winter in PS for 5 months.I worked my *bleep* off for many years and learned how to invest in a different way,s so Please dont confront me with your BS
The person asked for a recomendation and I gave him a very astute one EOS
:hailjo:

My first question to you is - would you like to adopt me?? :widdlegoyl:

Second - you say Bruce is to "conservative" for your style, what do you mean?

I, too, am looking for some planning/investment advise but I really need some one who can speak English and not a bunch of mumbo-jumbo I'll never understand....is Bruce our guy?
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

intheknow wrote:Homeownertwo
Investing/planning advice and is looking for a recomendation.I gave him one which in my opinion will serve him well.For you to come on here with all your drivel about how wrong I am and how right you are etc make,s me laugh....

Well, I could certainly say the same but won't. I would instead ask you to read my posting a little more carefully, and refrain from the gratuitous and uninformed insults.

First, my original posting, contrary to your assertion, made no claim that a stranger's recommendation is bad. Instead, as you would know if you'd taken the time to read it before going ballistic, it asked the OP if he/she already had a financial plan, as the way the question was framed suggested not, and recommended this as a first step. Your pal Bruce would tell you the same if he didn't mind getting reamed out in return for his efforts.

After that entirely rational suggestion, you countered by saying your pal is the best in Vernon, as if that opinion means anything, and claimed the OP didn't need a financial plan -- patently stupid advice.

You also did not indicate that Bruce is a financial planner (accredited?), so my assumption that since he worked at a brokerage, he is a broker, was entirely reasonable. BTW, I never said not to call your pal Bruce, I advised the OP not to start with a broker if he doesn't have a financial plan, which Bruce would concur is sound advice.

If I sounded condescending it was because of your inability to read carefully, your arrogant dismissal of advice that Bruce would agree is sound, and your eagerness to offer contrary advice despite an obvious misunderstanding of what financial planning and investing entail and how they mesh.
Last edited by Homeownertoo on Mar 4th, 2010, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

justmyopinion
If your seriously asking me?I highly recommend Bruce Shepard at Edward Jones on 27street
He,s a nice person,honest, very experienced and U can sit down with him,go over your financial situation and he will suggest a investment file that will suit your needs based on your ability to finance it.hes not a broker!!
I say too conservative for me because i buy and sell stocks on the open market weekly and take risk,s and he will not do that with a clients money
:sunshine:
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

first off you say quote:
1)Your posting is a good advertisement for why not to follow some stranger's recommendation
then you say quote:
2)my original posting, contrary to your assertion, made no claim that a stranger's recommendation is bad.
HUH?? don,t flollow and bad in this case when read look the same and mean the same
3)also many many people have no financial plan and thats the reason you go to an accredited Financial adviser
You say quote:
4)You also did not indicate that Bruce is a financial planner (accredited?), ???
I was and am under the assumption that all people who operate a EJ franchaise are certified financial advisers fully licenced and acredited under BC investment laws and regualations!!!
and you if your 1/2 as smart as u think you are would have known that,s what I was getting at Your the one who got Broker in your brain and not I ? I never said to the OP anything about seeing a Broker so u misconstrued that into something it was not
Oh and did I mention that now I really think your a moron?Well after reading your last post guess what ? You are :hailjo:
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

I don't usually give this much attention to someone as undeserving, but I couldn't let your babblings go unanswered.

You don't even know the basics about financial designations. There is no such thing as a certified financial advisor, let alone any such accreditation under BC investment laws and regulations. So I guess there aren't any at Edward Jones either.

There are certified financial analysts (few retail advisers if any at EJ have this designation) and a variety of certifications in financial planning such as certified financial planner or registered financial planner, neither of which are required by EJ (I have a certificate in financial planning from the Financial Planning Association of Canada).

EJ trains its recruits in-house (not a recognized professional designation) and "encourages" them to obtain one of the professional designations. It calls its people financial advisors because there is no professional requirement for using that title. There is no BC law under which they are accredited, despite your faulty assumptions. I admit I assumed EJ required its people to take the Canadian securities course; I guess I overestimated the requirements. A small error that pales beside the many you have made.

And once again you demonstrate your incapacity for reading properly (guess who's the moron?). I said, and I quote, "What you (the OP) use depends on your needs and knowledge base, not on some stranger's recommendations." Your pal Bruce would agree completely, even if you don't. And since you can't read properly, take it from someone who can: that is not the same as saying a stranger's recommendation is "bad".

Your third point above is meaningless -- par for the course.

Oh, and did I mention what I really think of you? Your meticulous attention to grammar and spelling might be a clue.
Last edited by Homeownertoo on Mar 5th, 2010, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

intheknow wrote:justmyopinion
If your seriously asking me?I highly recommend Bruce Shepard at Edward Jones on 27street
He,s a nice person,honest, very experienced and U can sit down with him,go over your financial situation and he will suggest a investment file that will suit your needs based on your ability to finance it.hes not a broker!!
I say too conservative for me because i buy and sell stocks on the open market weekly and take risk,s and he will not do that with a clients money

Thank you (what about adopting me question?? :dyinglaughing: )....can you answer one more thing? and it may be a dumb one to most, but I really don't know.....how much does it cost to use a person like Bruce?
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

justmyopinion wrote:
intheknow wrote:justmyopinion

Thank you (what about adopting me question?? :dyinglaughing: )....can you answer one more thing? and it may be a dumb one to most, but I really don't know.....how much does it cost to use a person like Bruce?

you will have to contact him and sit down and discuss your financial situation and what your investment syle will be.His fee charges will be told to u up front.I am not up to date on what Financial advisers are currently charging.Depends on a few things which he will explain it all upfront :sunshine:
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Thanks so much!

Return to “Central Okanagan”