Thursday, October 23rd9.4°C

How does a 23 year old get 151 kilos of cocaine?

North Okanagan topics including Vernon, Coldstream, Lumby, Armstrong, Enderby and Spallumcheen.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

How does a 23 year old get 151 kilos of cocaine?

Postby featfan » Mar 27th, 2010, 1:32 pm

REGINA — A 23-year-old male from British Columbia was arrested Friday after Swift Current RCMP discovered 151 kilograms of cocaine — with a street value of $6.5 million — in the vehicle he was driving.

Around noon, the driver from Vernon, B.C., was westbound on the Trans-Canada Highway when he was pulled over near Waldeck for a traffic act infraction. The vehicle was searched and the drugs were found.

The RCMP investigation is ongoing.

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post
featfan
Board Meister

Liked in: 30 posts

Re: How does a 23 year old get 151 kilos of cocaine?

Postby Queen K » Mar 27th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Clearly that guy is a "mule". You don't think any of the real drug king pins would dirty themselves hauling that level of Coke around do you?
Please stop bragging on facebook about how great the Okanagan is right now, or they'll want to move here.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 988 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » Mar 27th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Somebody loaded up the car for him, and gave him the keys. The idiot now is going to jail for trying to make few dollars.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1511 posts

Postby Smurf » Mar 27th, 2010, 4:57 pm

The idiot now is going to have to take responsability for his actions. Hopefully he will get nailed good. :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 531 posts

Postby cutter7 » Mar 28th, 2010, 9:16 am

I wonder what legal right the police had to search the car. How do you go from pulling the car over for an infraction to a search?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in court.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 69 posts

Postby YoungFarmer » Mar 28th, 2010, 9:21 am

cutter7 wrote:I wonder what legal right the police had to search the car. How do you go from pulling the car over for an infraction to a search?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in court.

Seems pretty obvious, the guy that got pulled over was probably nervous and acting sketchy, so the police officer asks to search the vehical. It should be legal for police to search any vehical on public roads for any reason, what would a regular person have to hide.
Also i wonder if you can get detained for refusing a vehical search, if you refuse a breathalyser, they can take you downtown or give you a 24hr suspension.
YoungFarmer
Fledgling

Liked in: 1 post

Postby cutter7 » Mar 28th, 2010, 9:29 am

I know thats the reason they will use for the search I just don't buy it.

I hope he beats the charge as I sure would not want the police to be able to rummage through my vehicle anytime they felt like it .
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby YoungFarmer » Mar 28th, 2010, 9:36 am

cutter7 wrote:I know thats the reason they will use for the search I just don't buy it.

I hope he beats the charge as I sure would not want the police to be able to rummage through my vehicle anytime they felt like it .

So if a person has a dead body in the back of their car and the police pulls them over and illegally searches their vehical, then they shouldn't be charged with murder?
I wonder how many kilo's you have transported :dyinglaughing: .
YoungFarmer
Fledgling

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Captain Awesome » Mar 28th, 2010, 10:25 am

cutter7 wrote:I hope he beats the charge as I sure would not want the police to be able to rummage through my vehicle anytime they felt like it .

There are certain requirements that need to be met before police officer can search the car. They can also simply ask for it, and most people would allow it to happen if they have nothing to hide. But if officer suspects something, there's a process they have to go through to have the legal right to search the car - "probable cause" I believe is the name. Police certainly don't have the right to haphazardly pull people over and search their cars.

I on the other hand hope the guy ends up in jail and learns his lesson. Better yet, I hope he gives up his employers to police so they can find who has a hobby of moving large quantities of cocaine around.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Postby Captain Awesome » Mar 28th, 2010, 10:27 am

YoungFarmer wrote:So if a person has a dead body in the back of their car and the police pulls them over and illegally searches their vehical, then they shouldn't be charged with murder?

Sometimes that's the case. If evidence presented in court wasn't obtained properly, it can be dismissed from the case and cause it flop.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Postby cutter7 » Mar 28th, 2010, 10:55 am

It's not about what is or is not in my car farmer. I don't like anyone touching my stuff and if they ask to search it I will never give them permission.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby UltraViolet » Mar 28th, 2010, 11:58 am

cutter7 wrote:It's not about what is or is not in my car farmer. I don't like anyone touching my stuff and if they ask to search it I will never give them permission.

Pretty simple.
If you have nothing to hide, you wont have a problem with it.
People who feel their privacy is invaded(their vehicle) definately have something to hide.

A cop doing a vehicle search on "just a hunch" should be automatic.
There are far too many criminals driving around to begin with, and a good way to nail them is to search. After all, you are on a public road, not your own property.
Out of 100 people in Kelowna, 25 are normal and 75 are out of control idiots and don't even know it!
UltraViolet
Übergod

Liked in: 109 posts

Postby cutter7 » Mar 28th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Wrong. I have nothing to hide and I do have a problem with an illegal search. Thats how they lose the case.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby JayByrd » Mar 28th, 2010, 1:25 pm

There are all sorts of reasons that could count as "probably cause" in a case like this.

If the officer is suspicious, he's going to ask some questions...where are you going, where are you coming from, what time did you leave, do you have any weapons or drugs in the vehicle, etc. If the suspect's answers to those questions don't match up, that could be enough right there. We don't know for sure if the officer in this case acted within the rules for searching the vehicle. We also don't know for sure if the driver, knowing he was done for, didn't just crack under pressure and give him permission. All we can do is speculate about those or any number of other points, the article doesn't say.

Bottom line, the RCMP member in this case suspected something was up, and his instincts paid off bigtime.
Do you know what they do to grammar police in grammar prison? It's not pretty.
JayByrd
Übergod

Liked in: 75 posts

Postby intheknow » Mar 28th, 2010, 9:30 pm

YoungFarmer wrote:
cutter7 wrote:I know thats the reason they will use for the search I just don't buy it.

So if a person has a dead body in the back of their car and the police pulls them over and illegally searches their vehical, then they shouldn't be charged with murder?
I wonder how many kilo's you have transported :dyinglaughing: .

If a person has a dead body in their car they can only be charged with murder irregardless of whether the search was leagal or not if they can prove they did the murder or were responsible for it so to answer your question no u cant be charged with Murder even if you in possession of a dead body unless you were directly or indirectly responsible. so bad comparason
intheknow
Board Meister

Liked in: 0 post

Next

Return to Vernon / North Okanagan