Houseboat Fatality in Magna Bay

Advocate
Guru

Houseboat Fatality in Magna Bay

Post by Advocate »

The wreckage is unbelieveable. The speedboat is completely inside the houseboat.

Fooling around in the dark, on the water, even with lights, can lead to this. Two children on the roof, one four month old baby in the back, only one person killed is a miracle.

There is far too much alcohol on this lake IMO. Alcohol does not mix well with responsibility. But to think you can be sitting on the lake, on a boat, not moving, and be killed by a speed boat doing doughnuts in the dark is just shocking. There were lots of boats out there that night. We watched from the shore.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/cp-articl ... d=24780601

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... ident.html

http://www.am1150.ca/news/565/1165304

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/news/ ... l?tab=PHOT
rlaboss

Re: Houseboat Fatality in Magna Bay

Post by rlaboss »

Headline I'd like to see: Speed boat driver in jail - key lost.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

rlaboss wrote:Headline I'd like to see: Speed boat driver in jail - key lost.

I would add Manslaughter charges pending...
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Interesting to hear on the tube tonight that the residents are becoming fed up with the increase in speedy boat traffic and traffic in general on the lake, yet both boat owner operators are from that town.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Shuswap Lake is always crawling with houseboats (Sicamous is the houseboat capital of Canada) so you think the guy in the speedboat would be more careful. He was probably showing off for the ladies. By the pictures, you can clearly see that he was definitely not going slow. Oh yes, this happened at night. What a great idea to go fast on a busy lake in the middle of the night!
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

MAPearce wrote:Interesting to hear on the tube tonight that the residents are becoming fed up with the increase in speedy boat traffic and traffic in general on the lake, yet both boat owner operators are from that town.

What is interesting about that? Both these operators are locals, but there are many visitors on the lake as well.
So much for the benefit of the boating licenses.
There was NO police presence on this lake for the fireworks at all.
RCMP say they were present for the Canada Day celebrations on Thursday night but that they "had no request" to be present on the lake for the fireworks - with hundreds of boats on the lake complete with alcohol, no doubt.

Just the presence of police boats on the lake makes people more careful. To me, that is a no-brainer that needs no request from the public.
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

Advocate wrote:
MAPearce wrote:Interesting to hear on the tube tonight that the residents are becoming fed up with the increase in speedy boat traffic and traffic in general on the lake, yet both boat owner operators are from that town.

What is interesting about that? Both these operators are locals, but there are many visitors on the lake as well.
So much for the benefit of the boating licenses.
There was NO police presence on this lake for the fireworks at all.
RCMP say they were present for the Canada Day celebrations on Thursday night but that they "had no request" to be present on the lake for the fireworks - with hundreds of boats on the lake complete with alcohol, no doubt.

I dont think police presence at 11;30 at night would have helped anyone in this tragic situation
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

"Transport Canada and RCMP West Coast Marine Services are investigating the incident along with the Chase RCMP detachment.

No cause has been determined."

The cause was a stupid driver at the wheel of one of the boats!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

Bsuds wrote:quote

"Transport Canada and RCMP West Coast Marine Services are investigating the incident along with the Chase RCMP detachment.

No cause has been determined."

The cause was a stupid driver at the wheel of one of the boats!

Do ya think? There Sherlock? It couldn't be because one pointy ended boats was going much faster than a slower, wider boat? It's so easy for you to blame the driver and not physics.
Lack of objection is implied consent.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mtnman1 wrote: It's so easy for you to blame the driver and not physics.

Prolly drives a Chev.
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

post deleted
Last edited by Advocate on Jul 8th, 2010, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Have they said the age of the driver of the speed boat? I think that may be the one at fault here.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

The driver of the speedboat was interviewed and part of his interview was played on TV.
He said he "didn't see" the houseboat.

So if visibility is that bad, perhaps you should be using a little more caution when operating your boat? Judging by the picture of the speed boat fully inside the house boat, one would have to assume he was doing a fair clip.

Dontcha think?
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Fritz you got a link for that interview?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Amarow121 wrote:Fritz you got a link for that interview?

I wish I did.
It was CHBC the other night.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Return to “Central Okanagan”