Prison for Lumby

imahoser
Fledgling

Re: Prison for Lumby

Post by imahoser »

Ok, I'm out.. no more questions are needed.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

It appears that the entire valley in getting frustrated at the lack of decision for the jail!

Not sure what the holdup is, but for or against the jail - we all agree with Mayor Perrino that it is time for the ministry to make up their minds and get a decision announced.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/britishcolumbia/okanagan-jail-delays-frustrate-summerland-mayor

The mayor of Summerland is frustrated that no decision has been made yet on where to build a 360-bed provincial jail in the Okanagan.

The province was expected to announce the location early this summer, says Mayor Janice Perrino.

“We had hoped to hear as early as April and then we were told in June,” said Perrino.

“From our point of view, we would just like to know, one way or the other, so we know how to move forward. We have spent a lot of time on this issue,” she said.

Not only has a lot of time been spent on the issue, it has split the community.

“It's clearly one of those issues that, you know, 50 per cent are for, and basically, 50 per cent are against,” said Perrino.

4 communities compete for jail

The District of Summerland, which has a population just over 10,000, is one of four communities that has indicated it's interested in the facility. Lumby, the Penticton Indian Band and the Osoyoos Indian Band are also vying for the project.

A spokesperson for Solicitor General Shirley Bond says the review process is continuing. But, would not say when a decision is expected. The B.C. government has said it wants to have the facility built by 2015.

But the delay has left Perrino afraid the province may decide not to move ahead on the jail at all.

"My concern of course is that, now that the HST has failed, if there are any major costs for the province, that this could be shelved,” said Perrino.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Tomato Eater

Post by Tomato Eater »

Anybody heard any news re the prison debate? :eyeballspin:
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Tomato Eater wrote:Anybody heard any news re the prison debate? :eyeballspin:

Nothing at all - the Anti-prison group in Lumby tried to make it out as a huge deal during the election, but nothing came of it (except their candidates did not get elected).
It would appear that the whole thing is a moot point, and nothing will get built anywhere in the valley for years to come. Lack of money and other resourses will be quoted as the reason, as well as needing a couple of years of study to make sure that it is actually needed.

If nothing else it did get a few people to get involved in the local politics this past election, which I think is a good thing.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

BC Government = no money = no prison, nowhere, and not anytime soon.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:
Tomato Eater wrote:Anybody heard any news re the prison debate? :eyeballspin:

Nothing at all - the Anti-prison group in Lumby tried to make it out as a huge deal during the election, but nothing came of it (except their candidates did not get elected).
It would appear that the whole thing is a moot point, and nothing will get built anywhere in the valley for years to come. Lack of money and other resourses will be quoted as the reason, as well as needing a couple of years of study to make sure that it is actually needed.

If nothing else it did get a few people to get involved in the local politics this past election, which I think is a good thing.

You might find out early next week. The premier along with the Solicitor General Shirly Bond and Aboriginal Affairs Minister Mary Polak are going to be in the South Okanagan then. Rather convienient group of portfolio's for a prison announcement considering both the PIB and OIB submitted bids huh?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

TimmyE wrote:You might find out early next week. The premier along with the Solicitor General Shirly Bond and Aboriginal Affairs Minister Mary Polak are going to be in the South Okanagan then. Rather convienient group of portfolio's for a prison announcement considering both the PIB and OIB submitted bids huh?

Looks like the NIMBY's and (IMO) eco-terrorist faction in Lumby has won this round and the prision is going to Chief Louie.
Congrats to the band - they are well run and Louie is open-minded and progressive.

Lumby will have to do with the few jobs being created in the healthcare industry (46 beds) - decent jobs, but I am not sure how many will be created. I am not complaining about them, the majority of the people will be trained and all will be professional. Hopefully I have a few qualifications that will let me get some work there!

It would have been nice to have enough jobs to go around for all who wants them and help the North OK expand a bit.

Eco farming is not going to pay my bills, or the bills of more than a couple of farmers in the area.

-
rhtrout

Post by rhtrout »

"Eco-Terrorist Faction" Wow a little bitter are we? dyinglaughing:
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

rhtrout wrote:"Eco-Terrorist Faction" Wow a little bitter are we? dyinglaughing:

:nutzoid: Just glad to help add a few giggles to the forum.
Knew it would never get here with Chief Louie in the mix, but it was a nice thought.
Too bad that the anti-prison faction made for so many bad feelings here. It all could have been done with some high class rather than gutter sniping....

Good luck to them on the project......
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

I think Kelowna really lost out on this one.

Regardless of all the social benefits B.C. provides, a prison in the B.C. Interior is the last resort for many.

Lumby needs support to create change.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I just talked to an old friend from Lumby. Some still hold out hope that there will be TWO remand centres announced. One for the Osoyoos/Oliver area and the other for Lumby. Another interesting note today was that some Lumbyites were accusing the province of playing some kind of race card leading up to the next election.

The choice of the reserve land was probably based on the low cost of building the prison there. No money needed for the land. The other sites would require buying the land.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I agree with your reasons for choosing the OIB's Senkulmen Enterprise Park, bob vernon.

The one advantage to Lumby would have been that the Armstrong killer could serve his sentence at home. :cursor:
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

bob vernon wrote:I just talked to an old friend from Lumby. Some still hold out hope that there will be TWO remand centres announced. One for the Osoyoos/Oliver area and the other for Lumby. Another interesting note today was that some Lumbyites were accusing the province of playing some kind of race card leading up to the next election.

The choice of the reserve land was probably based on the low cost of building the prison there. No money needed for the land. The other sites would require buying the land.

I live in Lumby and have never heard a whisper about this supposed 2nd remand center.
Sounds like a real pipe dream to me!
Someone other than myself is trying to get the no side all stirred and shaken! :ohmygod:

Congrats to Chief Louie and the band.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

240 full time secure jobs and Lumby turns it down. Holy crap..................... :ohmygod: :dyinglaughing:

How are all the empty bulldozed sawmills and empty glass plant working out for you?
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Return to “Central Okanagan”