Prison for Lumby

imahoser
Fledgling

Re: Prison for Lumby

Post by imahoser »

Vermin Vernon, and in another recent thread "the butt hole of the okanagan" :dyinglaughing:
rhtrout

Post by rhtrout »

I find it interesting that the yes side declares we need more jobs in Lumby .A recent posting at the local employment center offered 14-18 per hr leading to a full time option with minimal qualifications.There were only 2 applicants and they both got jobs.By the way I was one of them
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Prison for Lumby - Radicals abound

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

I see on today's Noon News that some of the radicals from here did a protest in Pentiction against the prison being established in Lumby!!

How do they propose that we will keep taxes down and services at even the current level if we do not get the prison here?
A road to Siverstar is not going to happen - from what I have heard it is a pipe dream that has been looked at for 20 or more years.

Tourism does not bring in any real money to any small town - At best the tourists will drop a few dollars on fuel and road food, but nothing that will actually do anything to keep our taxes down.
A few high school students will get summer jobs - they may earn enough for a new pair of jeans by the end of summer but that money will be spent in Vernon or Kelowna....

If the radical group of NO have enough money in their pockets that they can afford to pay higher taxes then I would appreciate them kicking in to my yearly tax bill.

If they do not want to see any change in the area, then they should consider moving deep into the hills and becoming hermits, because change happens - in the past - in the present and in the future. :skyisfalling:

I voted YES and will continue to support the mayor and council in attempting to bring in jobs and tax dollars to our small town.

It would be a great thing to be able to have enough services here that I would not make as many trips into Vernon as I have been doing. Even the possibility of a return of a small Greyhound depot and possibly a "fast food" outlet (Subway - A&W or similiar) would assist in bringing jobs and families into Lumby.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
imahoser
Fledgling

Re: Prison for Lumby - Radicals abound

Post by imahoser »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:
It would be a great thing to be able to have enough services here that I would not make as many trips into Vernon as I have been doing. Even the possibility of a return of a small Greyhound depot and possibly a "fast food" outlet (Subway - A&W or similiar) would assist in bringing jobs and families into Lumby.

:dyinglaughing:
If you are worried about Lumby economy, why are you spending in Vernon? What will you purchase at a prison? Souvenirs?
It doesn't take a prison to open a fast food joint in a small town.

http://world.subway.com/Countries/frmMa ... spx?CC=CAN

here you go. Be part of the solution.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

imahoser wrote:
NotNorthAnymore wrote:

:dyinglaughing:
If you are worried about Lumby economy, why are you spending in Vernon? What will you purchase at a prison? Souvenirs?
It doesn't take a prison to open a fast food joint in a small town.

http://world.subway.com/Countries/frmMa ... spx?CC=CAN

here you go. Be part of the solution.

Hi Hoser:
Until there is something like the prison to assist in a customer base there is not really any reason to open a Subway (as much as I like A&W, I thin I will stick with the "healthier" option for fast food). I may seriously consider partnering with someone to establish a Subway here, if the prison goes in....

As for shopping for everything in Lumby, have you not shopped here? Because of the low customer base, and the close proximity to Vernon, stores in Lumby do not have any chance against the big boxes for price of selection. I have always lived in a smaller community and shopped local as much as I can, but everyone has to watch their money and I am no exception.

I am being part of the solution - I am in favour of getting jobs and people here in Lumby - not pushing jobs and people away.
Sleepy valley only exists in fairy tales!
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
rhtrout

Post by rhtrout »

the job arguement is no longer on the table as per my previous post.
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

It's a PRISON... not disneyland. Maybe a few extra people will move to town and pay a few taxes, but they WILL shop is Vernon like the rest of you. A black mark across the face of a beautiful valley is not worth a few extra dollars.
lostsurferinbc
Fledgling

Post by lostsurferinbc »

To you pro prison morons:

Please explain in an intelligent fashion, what long term jobs are to be created by building a prison?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

lostsurferinbc wrote:To you pro prison morons:

Please explain in an intelligent fashion, what long term jobs are to be created by building a prison?

That's a red herring, and not the reason for bringing in the prison.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

I see in this week's Lumby Valley Times - that someone is so upset about the possibility of a prison coming to Lumby that they are quitting the Lions Club.

The possibility is slimmer and slimmer and it would appear that OIB in Pentiction has a virtual lock on getting the prison on native land.
This will be a real loss to the Lumby tax base and the future of this small town.

Will those of you that are so against the prison being here explain how we are going to survive without a tax base??
Tourism will not bring in any money to speak of and retired people - as much as I love them - don't spend any money to create any jobs.
The way it looks to me in a few years we will not have any schools here because we do not have a tax base to support them.
It is a nice community and I hope to be retired here for a number of years - but I am also know that even a small hamlet like this will not survive without jobs and taxes.
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:I see in this week's Lumby Valley Times - that someone is so upset about the possibility of a prison coming to Lumby that they are quitting the Lions Club.

The possibility is slimmer and slimmer and it would appear that OIB in Pentiction has a virtual lock on getting the prison on native land.
This will be a real loss to the Lumby tax base and the future of this small town.

Will those of you that are so against the prison being here explain how we are going to survive without a tax base??
Tourism will not bring in any money to speak of and retired people - as much as I love them - don't spend any money to create any jobs.
The way it looks to me in a few years we will not have any schools here because we do not have a tax base to support them.
It is a nice community and I hope to be retired here for a number of years - but I am also know that even a small hamlet like this will not survive without jobs and taxes.

How long have you lived in Lumby and what do you know about the history? This happy, sleepy little village has endured longer than you have lived, WITHOUT a prison. Period.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

XT225 wrote:
Tony wrote:I have to ask this. I don' t live in Penticton, so I don't have a vote but I'm a curious type.

The prison will bring 300 decent paying jobs to Penticton. That is good economically - that's a fact. If the "No camp" doesn't want the prison, and it's okay to say no, as well as it's okay to say yes, what ideas do they have to bring 300 decent paying jobs to Penticton. The no camp keeps saying have a vision - tell us what your vision is. The only way to create that many decent jobs is to bring in industry - keeps getting shot down for some reason, or bring in something Federally controlled or Provincially controlled.

I'm guessing, and I'm no expert, that if and when a prisoner escapes they don't head to the nearest Tim Horton's to kick back and have a double double. They head the heck out of Dodge to clear the people looking for them. These aren't 4 year olds playing hide and seek for crying out loud. We aren't on an Island - they aren't stranded here.

I traveled to Kamloops many times before I realized there was a prison there. You don't see ex-cons hanging around downtown, nor do you ever see escapees slinking around the city.

My question is simple - if you don't want the prison, what's your vision for bringing jobs and solid economical help to Penticton?

Good comments, Tony. The NO side has brought few, if any, ideas for economic stimulus in the region; just the continual negatives against it. Any escapees would NOT stay in the immediate area. For instance, IF it were built in Summerland, Peachland, Oliver..the escapees would likely venture to Penticton...so maybe the NO side should rethink their plan. Better to have it right HERE and if they escape, they will head to these OTHER areas. See? There's always more than one way to look at things. However, with Warden Pearce running it, I'm sure that he will gain the same reputation as Commandant Wilhelm Klink in that there "will never be a successful escape" (LOL)...had to throw in a bit of humor there...as I do like Mikey and respect his position on economic development.

I want to thank all of the NO votes in Pentiction for their support of having the prison located in Lumby.

We will make use of the tax grants and jobs in our sleepy hollow. As noted above IF there is an escape they will not hang around where the prison is, but head somewhere else - Kelowna or Pentiction is a good guess if it is located in Lumby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above statements are from the Pentiction prison discussion, but also apply to Lumby.

Only about 25% of eligible Pentiction voters cast ballots and by a 2 to 1 margin have said NO to the prision in Pentiction. That makes Lumby a viable option for the Prision, unless the OIB goes for it on their land.

Hoser: In response to your questions - I have only lived here for just over a year.

Yes, Lumby has survived for longer than you and I have been alive, but surviving also includes change and growth in any community. Without change and growth the community will slip into decline and die.

Are all of the original jobs that were created Lumby in the beginning still here?
Has not anything changed here since Lumby was originally established?

As I said before in previous posts, change always happens and will always continue to happen, it does not matter where you are living.

In my opinion a prison is going to have less negative impact on what happens to this community than a dairy farm or another cornfield will have here.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

From my post in the Pentiction Forum.

See that forum for twobits full posting - very intresting and appears to give Lumby the front posistion in having the prision located here.

twobits wrote:
So it would appear on the surface that Lumby and Oliver would be the frontrunners. There may however be some dark horses. In a conversation with the Ministry that the Mayor had, a comment was made that "x" number of parcels were being studied for feasability. Afterwards it was realized that "x" was two more parcels than were submitted and known to the public. Brain fart from the Ministry or........?? Interesting stuff huh?

Did Dan Ashton give any indication or educated guess on when the ministry would be doing an announcement?

Personally I am looking forward to Lumby being the location.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The announcement of the prison in Lumby will be made this fall, during the election campaign. Eric Foster is one of the Liberals who could lose his seat and he needs all the good news he can generate.

The announcement of the removal of the Okanagan College land from the Ag Land Reserve will also be made during the campaign, along with about a million dollars for the new athletic fields at the College. More good news.

One of the top two floors at the hospital will get funding to convert it from empty space into actual hospital beds. The other floor is being held back. If the Liberals win the election, a private clinic will rent space there to perform knee and hip surgeries. The public will be on the hook for the patients' recovery time once the surgeries are done, but the private clinic will get all the cash for the surgery. It doesn't matter if overcrowding goes on for a few more months, Eric's well-being is more important than that of a few patients.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

bob vernon wrote:The announcement of the prison in Lumby will be made this fall, during the election campaign. Eric Foster is one of the Liberals who could lose his seat and he needs all the good news he can generate.

The announcement of the removal of the Okanagan College land from the Ag Land Reserve will also be made during the campaign, along with about a million dollars for the new athletic fields at the College. More good news.

One of the top two floors at the hospital will get funding to convert it from empty space into actual hospital beds. The other floor is being held back. If the Liberals win the election, a private clinic will rent space there to perform knee and hip surgeries. The public will be on the hook for the patients' recovery time once the surgeries are done, but the private clinic will get all the cash for the surgery. It doesn't matter if overcrowding goes on for a few more months, Eric's well-being is more important than that of a few patients.

Hi Bob: What brand of "herbal" tea leaves are you reading from to make your predictions on all of these items?

It all sounds good, but the Liberals have screwed themselves at this point and will not form the next goverment in BC.
Not sure who is going to get it or if it will be a coalition, but because of the HST and other mistakes in the last number of years they are out of here!

If Eric Foister is going to have any chance at all of retaining his seat he would be further ahead (IMO) to get announcements done as soon as possible in order to show people in the area that he has long term vision and not a short sighted views for the area.

Return to “Central Okanagan”