Prison for Lumby

Windfalls

Prison for Lumby

Post by Windfalls »

I am baffled as to why the mayor and council of Lumby support the construction of a prison in Lumby without any overwhelming support of the electorate. I surely hope there is a referendum on this issue before any decisions are made. After all, the citizens of Lumby are entiled to their say; we don't live in a dictatorship.
Somerled
Fledgling

Re: Prison for Lumby

Post by Somerled »

Windfalls wrote:I am baffled as to why the mayor and council of Lumby support the construction of a prison in Lumby without any overwhelming support of the electorate. I surely hope there is a referendum on this issue before any decisions are made. After all, the citizens of Lumby are entiled to their say; we don't live in a dictatorship.

I am the opposite. I am all for having a prison in Lumby. It will bring some real paying jobs to the economy. Tell me why you think having a prison in the area is such a bad idea?
Einstein said it right, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Windfalls wrote:I am baffled as to why the mayor and council of Lumby support the construction of a prison in Lumby without any overwhelming support of the electorate. I surely hope there is a referendum on this issue before any decisions are made. After all, the citizens of Lumby are entiled to their say; we don't live in a dictatorship.

I agree. I won't be happy until ALL the jobs are gone from Lumby and we just bulldoze and pave the rest of that town!
That's why I don't support any economic development. I really fear that Lumby could go back to the good old days of the 1970's when the jobs were plentiful (sawmills, glass plant, etc.)

I cringe at the thought.....
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I wonder how the people of Drumheller feel about their local prison. It's out side of town and out of sight. Anyone here with specific experience with Drumheller's local prison? Feedback on how it is, who it employs and if the town suffers reprecussions please.

Dinosaurs can't be their only employment economic engine afterall.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Somerled
Fledgling

Post by Somerled »

Fritzthecat wrote:

I agree. I won't be happy until ALL the jobs are gone from Lumby and we just bulldoze and pave the rest of that town!
That's why I don't support any economic development. I really fear that Lumby could go back to the good old days of the 1970's when the jobs were plentiful (sawmills, glass plant, etc.)

I cringe at the thought.....

:dyinglaughing:

Still some people in Lumby are living in the good ole days I guess. :)
Einstein said it right, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

No we are not(living in a dictatorship) however the reason U elect officials in the first place is to run the city effectivly as possible and make responsible rational decisions and not have every person with different opinions and agendas having a vote every time there are issues.The prison deal makes very good economic sence for the future well being of Lumby
Somerled
Fledgling

Post by Somerled »

Seems there are others that do not support economic development in Lumby. The things that make you scratch your head and wonder where some of these people get their ideas from.

http://www.priscillajudd.ca/thexpress/
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Somerled wrote:

I am the opposite. I am all for having a prison in Lumby. It will bring some real paying jobs to the economy. Tell me why you think having a prison in the area is such a bad idea?

I agree. It will not ONLY provide some well paying recession proof jobs to the area, it will also generate a healthy municipal grant (in lieu of taxation) back from the Province to the District of Lumby’s favor.
Back with a vengeance
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

For a prison, I like the old Brenda Mine site proposal better. Nobody lives around there and it already has power, water and highway access, etc. From there, the workers could commute to several nearby communities to live.
Why on earth should prisoners enjoy high-priced prime real estate in the OK Valley and annoy NIMBYs.
Attachments
Brenda Mine.jpg
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

Why on earth should prisoners enjoy high-priced prime real estate in the OK Valley and annoy NIMBYs?

Lumby is hardly high priced OK valley prime realestate.Its not like its downtown vernon or coldstream etc
Lumby has one of the largest auto wreckers in the valley right in the center of lumby.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Somerled wrote:

Exactly. Lumby isn't a bustling city with lots of jobs. The farming/forestry industry can only do so much. This will put another 50+ jobs into the town and enable long term financial security for the area.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I lived in a prison/jail town for a few years and found it very good for the community. Good well paying jobs. There were some of the better prisoners that worked out under guard, cleaning area parks, cutting firewood etc. I never heard of any problems. if someone did get out the first thing they did was get as far away from the area as possible so there was never any trouble that way. I think it would be a great thing for Lumby and a real boost to their economy.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

this makes perfect sense, they catch the growers and drive them to the other side of town to prison? lol
crysmom

Post by crysmom »

I think a prison is a great idea I really hope it comes through.

I've lived in Mission where there is a large prison we lived within walking distance from the prison and there were no issues in regards to safety or security or "looks"
cooldude
Fledgling

Post by cooldude »

There is no doubt that the community should be consulted. But on the other hand, the construction project and then the creation of employment for an area hit hard from the natural resource sector would benefit the community. It may be a case of "not in my back yard," but in these times, it may be a boost to the area.

Return to “Central Okanagan”