Backroad Dumping

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Backroad Dumping

Post by Rwede »

BigErn wrote:I agree that dumping is a huge problem...

However, that being said: I dump on backroads, and I will continue to do so. :nyah:

I never dump plastic, rubber, garbage, metal, recyclables, etc etc

The only stuff I dump is dirt, rocks, wood (no nails or treated), leaves, branches etc.

When I dump these things, they are placed in appropriate places: spread out if a dirt pile or in an obvious ditch that will wash it away by spring anyway, and scattered in with other natural piles of leaves/branches.

The last dump that included rocks and dirt, I drove up a well-used 4x4 trial and filled gigantic potholes along the road with the said dirt and rocks, and even stamped them down.

Responsible dumping shouldn't be fined. And I do my fair share of hauling plastic, metal, etc garbage on my way out. Some of the things were ridiculous. Tubs, mattresses, oil jugs.. yuck.

I'll be looking for you as I patrol the backroads, helping the COs catch pigs that dump their crap in the wilderness. Lumber is garbage, rocks and dirt that are not native to where they are dumped can carry invasive plants and species that destroy ecosystems. Ever wonder how knapweed invasions destroy winter range for wildlife? Smarten up.

You better watch out, because we will catch you. Or, better yet, take your crap to the landfill where it belongs.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
bcpaul
Fledgling

Post by bcpaul »

BigErn wrote:I agree that dumping is a huge problem...

However, that being said: I dump on backroads, and I will continue to do so. :nyah:

I never dump plastic, rubber, garbage, metal, recyclables, etc etc

The only stuff I dump is dirt, rocks, wood (no nails or treated), leaves, branches etc.

When I dump these things, they are placed in appropriate places: spread out if a dirt pile or in an obvious ditch that will wash it away by spring anyway, and scattered in with other natural piles of leaves/branches.

The last dump that included rocks and dirt, I drove up a well-used 4x4 trial and filled gigantic potholes along the road with the said dirt and rocks, and even stamped them down.

Responsible dumping shouldn't be fined. And I do my fair share of hauling plastic, metal, etc garbage on my way out. Some of the things were ridiculous. Tubs, mattresses, oil jugs.. yuck.

:ohmygod: responsible dumping... lumber, branches -- this is still GARBAGE and should be recycled.

If I caught you, you would be reported and fined. It's people like this that "justify" their actions just don't seem to get it.

I caught some young people last year dumping branches on local FSR "dumping ground". "it's just branches", they said. Taking it to the dump is free.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

This is a universal problem around all communities. It was interesting to see the CO quote "we are getting more complaints than ever". My theory for the increase is our own efforts at conserve and recycle. While this is most definately good policy, the increased regulation and scrutiny at our landfills is causing people who would normally dung out the basemant or garage, load the utility trailer and head to the dump, to instead avoid cumbersome rules and drive into the bush somewhere. Not saying it's right but I'm pretty sure it's a large part of the problem and recent increase. There should be a little more flexibility at our landfills for these types of loads and maybe even some employment opportunity for us to pay 10 bucks for an unsorted load and an employee well versed in what goes in what bin or pile to do it for us. I know the last time I did a "dump run" I found the sorting to be a bit overwhelming and cumersome having to move from one end of the dump to the other and sometimes not sure what catagory something belonged in. All while camera's on top of poles monitor you for infraction and threat of fine for the weight of the whole load. You do not know you screwed up until you return to the scale. This was the Penticton Landfill but assume they all operate under the same rules now.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

twobits wrote:This is a universal problem around all communities. It was interesting to see the CO quote "we are getting more complaints than ever". My theory for the increase is our own efforts at conserve and recycle. While this is most definately good policy, the increased regulation and scrutiny at our landfills is causing people who would normally dung out the basemant or garage, load the utility trailer and head to the dump, to instead avoid cumbersome rules and drive into the bush somewhere. Not saying it's right but I'm pretty sure it's a large part of the problem and recent increase. There should be a little more flexibility at our landfills for these types of loads and maybe even some employment opportunity for us to pay 10 bucks for an unsorted load and an employee well versed in what goes in what bin or pile to do it for us. I know the last time I did a "dump run" I found the sorting to be a bit overwhelming and cumersome having to move from one end of the dump to the other and sometimes not sure what catagory something belonged in. All while camera's on top of poles monitor you for infraction and threat of fine for the weight of the whole load. You do not know you screwed up until you return to the scale. This was the Penticton Landfill but assume they all operate under the same rules now.

Good post, I agree. I also think that the hours at transfer stations in the rural area (for me anyway) make it tough. I don't use my own tranfer station and travel to another dump in another area that is more convenient for me. I know I am not suppose to do that but I don't care. I have bears!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Chalk one up for the good guys. Found about ten bags of garbage dumped at the end of our rural road and easily found a mag subsription and prescription med box that identified the owners. Called John Law. Turns out mother gave 18 yo daughter money and use of the truck to take the stuff to the landfill but instead thought she had a better idea to pocket the $15 and dispose of the garbage at the same time. End result, 18 yo had to clean up all the garbage after the wildlife had strewn it everywhere and was levied a $500 fine!!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

twobits wrote:Chalk one up for the good guys. Found about ten bags of garbage dumped at the end of our rural road and easily found a mag subsription and prescription med box that identified the owners. Called John Law. Turns out mother gave 18 yo daughter money and use of the truck to take the stuff to the landfill but instead thought she had a better idea to pocket the $15 and dispose of the garbage at the same time. End result, 18 yo had to clean up all the garbage after the wildlife had strewn it everywhere and was levied a $500 fine!!

Nice
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

skydawg wrote:
twobits wrote:Chalk one up for the good guys. Found about ten bags of garbage dumped at the end of our rural road and easily found a mag subsription and prescription med box that identified the owners. Called John Law. Turns out mother gave 18 yo daughter money and use of the truck to take the stuff to the landfill but instead thought she had a better idea to pocket the $15 and dispose of the garbage at the same time. End result, 18 yo had to clean up all the garbage after the wildlife had strewn it everywhere and was levied a $500 fine!!

Nice

who says there,s no Justice. Very good to read results like yours.Good going!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

intheknow wrote:
skydawg wrote:

Nice

who says there,s no Justice. Very good to read results like yours.Good going!

Sweet! I've been able to bring a couple of $500 resolutions in similar cases.

No one ever accused garbage pigs of being much smarter than your average brick.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

removed - Jennylives
pattergrub
Fledgling

Post by pattergrub »

backroad dumping is disgusting!! and it is very common everywhere. I live in the Glenrosa area and travel up to crystal mountain every day to exercise my dogs. The garbage out there is absolutely disgusting!!! Everything from an old pepsi cooler to truck toppers, to couches and appliances. What happened to "Beautiful British Columbia", I challenge anyone to find a trail that has not been affected by this. I agree the sorting process at the dumps is ridiculous!! This likely has a lot to do with contributing to the problem. People are just lazy and cheap!The question is what can be done to stop it?? If an individual were to haul some garbage out of the hills would the city dump then charge that good citizen for dropping that junk off?? I have no problems committing some time and effort but not if it means its going to cost me hard earned money out of my pocket!!
satisfaction is the death of desire!!
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

The same problem is being talked about in the West Kelowna section, they seem to have come up with a great solution... maybe the same can be accomplished in Vernon.
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
pattergrub
Fledgling

Post by pattergrub »

yeah i had not realized this was a vernon forum until after i commented. just wanted to make sure i wasnt starting a repeat thread. all it takes is a few people and an afternoon to make a HUGE difference in the way our trails look to others but myself i cant hanlde the garbage and will be doing something about it for my own enjoyment!
satisfaction is the death of desire!!
ClarenceandSylvia

Post by ClarenceandSylvia »

V-Rated wrote:The same problem is being talked about in the West Kelowna section, they seem to have come up with a great solution... maybe the same can be accomplished in Vernon.

How about eliminating dumping fees at the landfill? The rise in illegal dumping is directly proportional to the increase in tipping fees. After all, somebody has to pay to build that 5 million dollar Taj Mahal they are building at the Kelowna dump. Look at the guy in Kelowna who didn't want to pay tipping fees for demolishing his house to build his 3 million dollar mansion - instead he chose to cave it into the basement and pour a little gasoline - cost him a $345 fine, but pocket change compared to the tipping fees he would have paid. Simple - the more municipalities try and make a business out of landfills, the more illegal dumping there will be.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

I don't live in Vernon now, but grew up there. I live in the Cariboo and we have transfer stations, where you can take pretty much anything, and dump it for free.

Wood trash goes to a separate area of our transfer station lot.. The transfer station we use is just off the side of a highly used road connecting 2 towns and many fishing lakes and resorts. There are also some recycling bins, highly used and very clean. There is a sign asking us to take our larger items like couches to a place in Williams Lake, near the main transfer station in town, where we can leave our broken couches and upholstered items for free. Also, more and bigger recycling bins there for everything from cardboard to glass. It is clean all around.

Across the lot at the big transfer station in Wl is a Share Shed. There we can leave working appliances, clean and reusable couches, chairs, small appliances, books, etc.- free to leave and take away. Another place where we drop off our old tv's, computers, etc. for free.

Our non-working appliance we drop off at the scrap metal dealer who is right beside the main Williams Lake transfer station.
Again, for free.

The only time I hear a person has to pay to dump garbage in WL is if you take a truck piled high to the main transfer station where they do weigh your truck before and after. But the satellite transfer stations, like the one we use, are free. You can take a load every day if you need to. All they ask is, if you have wood, put it over in the wood section. And please don't dump recyclables, please put them clean in the proper bins. We do, and the whole lot is clean.

'Free' seems to work well up here. Folks feel we pay for the transfer stations through our property taxes, so why should we pay again to go ourselves and dump it down a hole? And we seem to be very diligent up here about recycling. At the bins we find everyone from grandmas to cowboys, cheerfully putting things in the proper places.

I won't say you won't find some trash alongside our highways and byways up here, but nothing like I see when I go back to Vernon. Here you actually see people pull over to pick up the blown rubber from transport tires, or pieces of wood, from the highway, put it in the back of their truck, and take it away before a road service truck comes along. Or if a garbage bag has blown off someone's truck, someone else will pick it up and take it to the transfer station. Canadian Tire in WL has days every so often when you can bring in your old tires for free, but some places up here will take old tires and recycle them. Jugs of old oil too. For free.

When I see the mess around Vernon it makes me sad. I am disgusted to see bags of garbage, broken and spilling, on the beautiful country roads. It would cost alot of money to put up cameras and try to catch these losers. I wonder if maybe we have a good idea up here, where we can pretty much dump for free?
Grizzly550
Fledgling

Post by Grizzly550 »

Be careful about digging through garbage looking for personal information. I reported a pile of garbage up the mountain, and found personal mail, etc. Seemed like someone was stupid. The CO who got back to me after the investigation said he had contacted the "dumper". Turns out she was about 9000 years old, and had called an ad in the newspaper of men with a truck to take away her garbage. They charged her for the pick up load, including dump fees, then just dumped in the bush. Apparently the COs run into that quite often. Check that the guy you hire is actually taking your junk to the dump.

Return to “Central Okanagan”