Backroad Dumping

MattJ
Fledgling

Re: Backroad Dumping

Post by MattJ »

Grizzly550 wrote:Be careful about digging through garbage looking for personal information. I reported a pile of garbage up the mountain, and found personal mail, etc. Seemed like someone was stupid. The CO who got back to me after the investigation said he had contacted the "dumper". Turns out she was about 9000 years old, and had called an ad in the newspaper of men with a truck to take away her garbage. They charged her for the pick up load, including dump fees, then just dumped in the bush. Apparently the COs run into that quite often. Check that the guy you hire is actually taking your junk to the dump.

why does that mean I should be careful digging through garbage looking for personal information? I would be more concerned who I hired to remove my trash. And always ALWAYS shred any personal information, even if you take it to the dump yourself.

Easy way to make sure your stuff goes to the dump; have the person who takes it to the dump return to you with the receipt for payment.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Backroad Dumping

Post by bob vernon »

Dirt that is spread out to be washed away in the spring will find its way into a creek. Fish in the creek spawn in GRAVEL, not dirt, and dirt will prevent water, and oxygen dissolved in the water, from reaching the eggs. Then they die. There are fines for damaging a fish bearing stream, bigger than those for dumping. If you get caught, you might also have to forfeit the truck as well as the fine. When logging companies cross a fish bearing stream, they have to use only clean gravel to fill around the culvert pipes. Why should you get to dump dirt?

Return to “Central Okanagan”