Vernon, what a disappointment

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Vernon, what a disappointment

Post by bob vernon »

I've been here 30 years. Before that I lived on the prairies, even did a couple of years in Ontario. Vernon is about as good as it gets in Canada. Every city has its good and bad neighbourhoods and Vernon's isn't very big. Kelowna is way worse. They wanted bigger and bigger and they got what they wanted. A bigger and bigger drug and crime problem to go along with the money they all made in real estate. Even Lumby has its problems, just scaled down.

As far as telling the homeless to move on: they already do. From town to town looking for a better life. The faces and names in Polson Park change, but the homeless issue remains. This year's homeless move on to somewhere else and somebody else moves in. Until it is addressed, nothing will change. We elect governments in this country that cut social services that might solve the problem and we demand tax cuts that give more and more to the already wealthy. And we profess to have Christian values. Our society doesn't. We have the opposite.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

bob vernon wrote:I've been here 30 years. Before that I lived on the prairies, even did a couple of years in Ontario. Vernon is about as good as it gets in Canada. Every city has its good and bad neighbourhoods and Vernon's isn't very big. Kelowna is way worse. They wanted bigger and bigger and they got what they wanted. A bigger and bigger drug and crime problem to go along with the money they all made in real estate. Even Lumby has its problems, just scaled down.

As far as telling the homeless to move on: they already do. From town to town looking for a better life. The faces and names in Polson Park change, but the homeless issue remains. This year's homeless move on to somewhere else and somebody else moves in. Until it is addressed, nothing will change. We elect governments in this country that cut social services that might solve the problem and we demand tax cuts that give more and more to the already wealthy. And we profess to have Christian values. Our society doesn't. We have the opposite.

I agree on the first part but social services do not always help these homeless people.A ton of them actually choose this way of life as its a free ride and they are lazy and some a little limited in the brain department
You say we demand tax cuts that give more and more to the wealthy?? Tax cuts the last time I looked at them benifit the working class as much or more than the wealthy. Who do U mean by we? Why do people like you always want people whom were able to step up to the plate and do well for themselves have to look after the people whom were too lazy to do the same.I dont profess to have christian values as i dont.and I dont like any person whom see themselves as better than I am because they are a good christian
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

ticat900 wrote:I agree on the first part but social services do not always help these homeless people.A ton of them actually choose this way of life as its a free ride and they are lazy and some a little limited in the brain department
You say we demand tax cuts that give more and more to the wealthy?? Tax cuts the last time I looked at them benifit the working class as much or more than the wealthy. Who do U mean by we? Why do people like you always want people whom were able to step up to the plate and do well for themselves have to look after the people whom were too lazy to do the same.I dont profess to have christian values as i dont.and I dont like any person whom see themselves as better than I am because they are a good christian

I would strongly suspect that if you asked any homeless person if they are enjoying the "free ride" they would likely say it is more a life of consignment or just too tired to jump through all the hoops necessary. It is a catch 22 to rise above poverty when addictions and/or mental illness are issues. Try pulling yourself out of this when the only help available is a $620 per month welfare cheque which you can't receive without an address, but you need the cheq to get the address.The system is not set up to help people rise above these kinds of circumstances.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

I would strongly suspect that if you asked any homeless person if they are enjoying the "free ride" they would likely say it is more a life of consignment or just too tired to jump through all the hoops necessary. It is a catch 22 to rise above poverty when addictions and/or mental illness are issues. Try pulling yourself out of this when the only help available is a $620 per month welfare cheque which you can't receive without an address, but you need the cheq to get the address.The system is not set up to help people rise above these kinds of circumstances.[/quote]
[quote][/quote]
you just can not help people whom are unwilling to help themselves however mental illness is a large part of the problem for sure
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

ticat900 wrote:you just can not help people whom are unwilling to help themselves however mental illness is a large part of the problem for sure

Count your lucky stars you are not in that situation. I have known and worked with many others who weren't as fortunate in life. People like you who think poverty, addiction, etc is a CHOICE are the ones who keep perpetuating it.

I don't care what anybody thinks, from what I've witnessed personally and professionally, luck of the draw or simply being in the right place at the right time has alot to do with it. These people that ticat900 and others look down upon are all PEOPLE, human beings with a soul feelings and a story. Most just want to have somebody listen to their story. And when you do LISTEN you understand.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Vernon 14% unemployment rate as announced on Global News April 5th at 11:00pm.

Go Vernon. :127:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Fritzthecat wrote:Vernon 14% unemployment rate as announced on Global News April 5th at 11:00pm.

Go Vernon. :127:

frits as usual your fear mongering
READ:
Diversified Economy
Vernon boasts an extremely diversified economy with a strong mix of industrial, professional, tourism and agricultural related businesses. The strength of the economy has been highlighted during global economic downturns as the community continues to boast the lowest unemployment rate within British Columbia. The City of Vernon will continue to focus on emerging sectors such as advanced technology, aviation and tourism infrastructure. Offering one of the most desirable places to live in North America and a supportive business environment, Vernon will continue to draw highly skilled professionals to the region.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

ticat900 wrote:frits as usual your fear mongering
READ:
Diversified Economy
Vernon boasts an extremely diversified economy with a strong mix of industrial, professional, tourism and agricultural related businesses. The strength of the economy has been highlighted during global economic downturns as the community continues to boast the lowest unemployment rate within British Columbia. The City of Vernon will continue to focus on emerging sectors such as advanced technology, aviation and tourism infrastructure. Offering one of the most desirable places to live in North America and a supportive business environment, Vernon will continue to draw highly skilled professionals to the region.

Sorry, it was actually 15.4%, here's the link to the info. I provide links to my stats unlike others. Please click, read and comment, your feedback is important!
http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/Files/56ca ... on1203.pdf
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

the same article that I posted about low unemployment also describes how nice Vernon is

Diversified Economy

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

ticat900 wrote:the same article that I posted about low unemployment also describes how nice Vernon is

Diversified Economy

That is subject opinion.
I offered objective facts with supporting back up.
Also, this: Diversified Economy?
What? Fast food, gas stations and seasonal jobs?
:127:
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

I will repeat:

ticat900 wrote:
the same article that I posted about low unemployment also describes how nice Vernon is
Certain people of our community can,t seem to be able to grasp

Diversified Economy

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

This difference between "subjective" and "objective"

Subjective:
adjective

1)existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought ( opposed to objective).

2)pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.

3)placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

4)relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind as distinguished from general or universal experience.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subjective

Objective:

1)not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

2)intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.

3)being the object of perception or thought; belonging to the object of thought rather than to the thinking subject ( opposed to subjective).

4)of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to something that is an object or a part of an object; existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/objective?s=t
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I'm sorry fritz but anything you say in this thread is VERY subjective. To be objective would leave you with having to admit there are positive elements to living here, and so far I have not seen any yet.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

coffeeFreak wrote:I'm sorry fritz but anything you say in this thread is VERY subjective. To be objective would leave you with having to admit there are positive elements to living here, and so far I have not seen any yet.

Well I didn't "SAY" the stats I posted. Nothing subjective about facts from the government.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

ticat900 wrote:I will repeat:

ticat900 wrote:
Certain people of our community can,t seem to be able to grasp

Diversified Economy

Wonderful! Now I know why we have such a super-hot real estate market in this town, not to mention all those high-paying jobs in the local help wanted ads.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin

Return to “Central Okanagan”