Are there any good doctors in Vernon?

CLWilk

Are there any good doctors in Vernon?

Post by CLWilk »

We had just moved here due to a transfer of work. We also have not found a place to live suitable to our need's as of yet. During our "move" we have possessions SCATTERED and had misplaced our meds. I first went to a "walk-in" waited 2 hours, for a simple re-fill that I had been taking for 20 years. I'm the healthy one...

My spouse has many ailments. A neurological condition that requires med's for the night. A stomach condition due to lack of organs, and the stresses of our move. Etc.Etc. Those are the major issues. The one's that can not be left un-medicated. Anyway, long story short. Went to the Dr. Same walk-in I went to. The Dr. judged right away due to the fact we have no fixed address and sent my spouse off with a cup to poop in. Did NOT look into prior charts or ask the Dr. where we came from. These meds are a necessity. Can anyone out there give us a referral? maybe even a Dr. that can even CURE my spouses condition. Especially the neurological one.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Are there any good Dr.'s in Vernon?

Post by Merry »

When we moved here we had a similar problem. We began by using the walkin clinic near Earls, and found that if you go close to 5 it's not as busy so you don't have long to wait. Also, the receptionist has a list of doctors in the area who are taking new patients. But that information can also be found on the Internet.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Do you want a doctor or somebody to push pills?
I've had on ongoing concern for two years and the best I've been offered has been every kind of brain numbing pill imaginable. It wasn't until I fired a few people and demanded tests that I started to get somewhere.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
CLWilk

Post by CLWilk »

A good Dr. preferred but a pill pusher for starters. There are so many medical problems that I feel that there has to be a link. However for the time being, certain pills (over years of trials) aid, somewhat to the symptoms. These have even been refused and there are major complications. All a Dr. has to do is maybe continue what prior Dr. has done for NOW. A solution to all would be GREAT!! I have even studied to try to find the solution. Think I found it however was told right off the bat..nope. not it! I believe it would take 1 good Dr. to actually look through years of charts and figure this our..Like a Dr. House.lol. Not one has actually done so. They are all pill pushers or jump to conclusions to ONE of the many symptoms. For this, I believe there is ONE solution to all however till then, symptoms need to be dealt with.
There was a case of spinal meningitis (bacterial) when my spouse was 4. Coma and almost died. From what I studied (Harvard studies) The symptoms of survivors are so much the same. It would take 1 Dr. to gather 35 years of charts..look at all "pills" pushed and IM SURE a solution could come from that. That Dr. would be wonderful!!! Till then, symptom solver for now so there can be nights of sleep without doing the "chicken" all night. There is not a restful night in YEARS but worse now without meds.
CLWilk

Post by CLWilk »

Please excuse the errors. It's morning and I too suffer rough nights from my spouse suffering. THX!
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Have you phoned your previous gp and requested that prescriptions be faxed to a local pharmacy? Obviously your former GP knows how desperately certain medications are needed. Also ask if your GP has any colleagues s/he'd recommend in the Vernon area, if there is your records will likely be passed along and you won't have to go on the hunt for a doctor.

Welcome to the area and good luck!
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
toughnut
Board Meister

Re: Are there any good doctors in Vernon?

Post by toughnut »

strwbrrydvl wrote:Have you phoned your previous gp and requested that prescriptions be faxed to a local pharmacy? Obviously your former GP knows how desperately certain medications are needed. Also ask if your GP has any colleagues s/he'd recommend in the Vernon area, if there is your records will likely be passed along and you won't have to go on the hunt for a doctor.

Welcome to the area and good luck!

If everything was on the up and up A doctor would look at the present prescriptions and previous medical records etc.somethings very fishy here to say the least
CLWilk

Post by CLWilk »

If everything was on the up and up A doctor would look at the present prescriptions and previous medical records etc.somethings very fishy here to say the least[/quote]

I agree, which is why I am asking. This Dr. that was seen at the Super Store walk in did no such thing! Not even "Come back in a few hours or tomorrow so I can look into your charts and meds".
Nothing!.
Just assumed that my spouse was a pill junkie or something (only one of the meds were a narcotic type), a prescription for a pill that has been tried before which doesn't work..flat out said "no" to the pantalock which was being used and works. It's not a narcotic! And a cup to poop in.
My spouse has no gull bladder. That's obviously charted. Actually, the operation took place in Vernon and they "nicked" the colon or something. Poison leaked into the blood stream and my spouse went septic and almost died a few days after the operation. The point, that is all in the charts. The fact of no gull bladder causes stomach issues. Many med's over the years have been tried. Some worked temporarily, others not at all. Pantolock does work as of now. Stops the gas and the acid reflux and aids to the ulcer. However, this Dr just said "no" to a re-prescribe of a medication that has been taken for a bit.
The other med needed is a narcotic (I think). It aids to the body jolts that happen throughout the night. It's like RLS but the whole one side. Dr.s have tried parkinsons meds and many other things (there are also sleep issues that occur..doesn't sleep!) They tried mixing these meds with sleeping pills however the sleep pills make groggy in the day. So, this one that was prescribed 6 months ago, works for the body jolts and the sleep.
Needless to say, life has been hell since we got here and lost our meds. Will continue to be till Friday, when we go to Kelowna and to a walk-in there to re -prescribe. Those Dr.s DO look at the charts and do not judge.
All it would have taken was a phone call or a look at a chart or the pharmacy. Nota..Just a "no" we think because we have no fixed address.
So, please, a good Dr. that we can have all of the charts sent to and carry on here without judgment without looking into things.

Otherwise, thank you for the welcome. We like everything else about Vernon! Wonderful people!
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

CLWilk wrote:If everything was on the up and up A doctor would look at the present prescriptions and previous medical records etc.somethings very fishy here to say the least

I agree, which is why I am asking. This Dr. that was seen at the Super Store walk in did no such thing! Not even "Come back in a few hours or tomorrow so I can look into your charts and meds".
Nothing!.
Just assumed that my spouse was a pill junkie or something (only one of the meds were a narcotic type), a prescription for a pill that has been tried before which doesn't work..flat out said "no" to the pantalock which was being used and works. It's not a narcotic! And a cup to poop in.
My spouse has no gull bladder. That's obviously charted. Actually, the operation took place in Vernon and they "nicked" the colon or something. Poison leaked into the blood stream and my spouse went septic and almost died a few days after the operation. The point, that is all in the charts. The fact of no gull bladder causes stomach issues. Many med's over the years have been tried. Some worked temporarily, others not at all. Pantolock does work as of now. Stops the gas and the acid reflux and aids to the ulcer. However, this Dr just said "no" to a re-prescribe of a medication that has been taken for a bit.
The other med needed is a narcotic (I think). It aids to the body jolts that happen throughout the night. It's like RLS but the whole one side. Dr.s have tried parkinsons meds and many other things (there are also sleep issues that occur..doesn't sleep!) They tried mixing these meds with sleeping pills however the sleep pills make groggy in the day. So, this one that was prescribed 6 months ago, works for the body jolts and the sleep.
Needless to say, life has been hell since we got here and lost our meds. Will continue to be till Friday, when we go to Kelowna and to a walk-in there to re -prescribe. Those Dr.s DO look at the charts and do not judge.
All it would have taken was a phone call or a look at a chart or the pharmacy. Nota..Just a "no" we think because we have no fixed address.
So, please, a good Dr. that we can have all of the charts sent to and carry on here without judgment without looking into things.

Otherwise, thank you for the welcome. We like everything else about Vernon! Wonderful people![/quote]

Walk-in Doctors are there to treat immediate concerns; they don't have the time to search out every patient's history. That is the purpose of a family doctor, which btw, most of the Drs at the clinic have too.

Not quite sure why you haven't yet called the hospital and/or the clinics and asked for the names of doctors who are taking new patients? Because that is the only way you are going to get your previous history transferred and get some kind of continuity in care.
JEEPgirl

Post by JEEPgirl »

I heard that Dr. Leroux now practices in Vernon. He was not only my GP back in Saskatchewan but I also worked with him at the hospital. He was exceptional and I would highly recommend him if he is seeing new patients. If I didn't live on the westside I'd be going back to him for sure!
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Dr. Steward has retired, and Dr. Deetclefs from Williams Lake has taken over his practice. Dr. D. was my husband's gp for several years, and was a very good doctor for him. I've heard good things about Dr. Deetclefs and nothing bad.

Return to “Central Okanagan”