Skrillex Oct. 22

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Re: Skrillex Oct. 22

Post by gordon_as »

ToddT wrote:
toughnut wrote:just who are pray tell ? Skrillex

lol, they are probably a slightly different band than you are used to. Just one guy actually. Sometimes people are surprised to find younger people on these forums haha. Try http://www.skrillex.com/ and maybe it will broaden your musical horizons. Or maybe not. Thinking probably not. :)

Anyways, thanks all for the input. It appears he's cancelled the Vernon date for an extra show in Vancouver.

I get in regular arguements with my kid about this type of entertainment. Calling it a band is giving too much credit.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

gordon_as wrote:
ToddT wrote:
toughnut wrote:just who are pray tell ? Skrillex

lol, they are probably a slightly different band than you are used to. Just one guy actually. Sometimes people are surprised to find younger people on these forums haha. Try http://www.skrillex.com/ and maybe it will broaden your musical horizons. Or maybe not. Thinking probably not. :)

Anyways, thanks all for the input. It appears he's cancelled the Vernon date for an extra show in Vancouver.

I get in regular arguements with my kid about this type of entertainment. Calling it a band is giving too much credit.

He's not a band. More of a music artist called a DJ. Too bad you argue with your kid in something that they like.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Not so much of an argument , more like him trying to convince me that " so and so " is an awesome dj and does some radical mixes. My side of the story is that if the "music" is pre-recorded , or sampled (stolen) from actual musicians , than is doesn't count as talent. Unless there are actual people on stage , making actual music with actual instruments , I don't want to see it and can't understand people paying for it. Someday I might take him to a real concert , something between the Eagles and Aerosmith so he has something to compare " funk dj mixalot " to.
Granted my dad probably wanted to educate me with The Glen Miller Band while I was listening to Pink Floyd , but both of them actualy knew how to read music.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

gordon_as wrote:Not so much of an argument , more like him trying to convince me that " so and so " is an awesome dj and does some radical mixes. My side of the story is that if the "music" is pre-recorded , or sampled (stolen) from actual musicians , than is doesn't count as talent. Unless there are actual people on stage , making actual music with actual instruments , I don't want to see it and can't understand people paying for it. Someday I might take him to a real concert , something between the Eagles and Aerosmith so he has something to compare " funk dj mixalot " to.
Granted my dad probably wanted to educate me with The Glen Miller Band while I was listening to Pink Floyd , but both of them actualy knew how to read music.

music is music, It comes in all types of genres. Todays dj's can take a crappy eagles, or aerosmith song and transform it into a new smash hit remix.

I suggest getting out of your box, think with an open mind, and try listening to something new.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

No thanks : we listened to it till 6 am while camping up at scotch creek last year. (thanks to a house rave about a mile away) Enough to last a lifetime thank you very much. Talent is talent , music is music , endless repetative dubstep noise is just noise. If you need to take ecstacy to enjoy something , it probably wasn't very good to begin with.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

gordon_as wrote:No thanks : we listened to it till 6 am while camping up at scotch creek last year. (thanks to a house rave about a mile away) Enough to last a lifetime thank you very much. Talent is talent , music is music , endless repetative dubstep noise is just noise. If you need to take ecstacy to enjoy something , it probably wasn't very good to begin with.

You don't have to take ecstasy to enjoy dubstep. Maybe if you live in a box and are close minded.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Well technically I do live in what is known as a BC Box , and I do try to close my mind and ears to annoying sounds so I guess you are 100 % correct , just as you thought. ( except of course for the whole "close minded" / "closed minded" thing )
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

what's important to remember is that we are all entitled to like what we want to like. For the record, Skrillex writes all his own loops and makes his own samples. It is not easy to produce what he produces, whether you like it or not.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

I saw him in Kelowna a few months back and that date wasn't advertized on his site either.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

well I'm in Penticton so if you ever hear of it again PM me!
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

gordon_as wrote:Not so much of an argument , more like him trying to convince me that " so and so " is an awesome dj and does some radical mixes. My side of the story is that if the "music" is pre-recorded , or sampled (stolen) from actual musicians , than is doesn't count as talent. Unless there are actual people on stage , making actual music with actual instruments , I don't want to see it and can't understand people paying for it. Someday I might take him to a real concert , something between the Eagles and Aerosmith so he has something to compare " funk dj mixalot " to.

...kind of like arguing who is more talented, Luciano Pavarotti or Eminem....depends on whom you ask

...it's interesting to me that you enjoy that genre of music, son; I prefer opera
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I understand where you are coming from , and somewhat agree , however............. you did use the term music. Both of your examples are of musicians , their voice being the instrument. Pavaroti........ not my type of music , so I don't listen to it but I would never condemn someone who does enjoy listening to it. Eminem........ again not my favorite artist but I can and do listen to his music , and so does my son. Both of the examples you have given are very talented people. IMO a DJ who remixes other peoples music pales by comparison.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

lol who says anybody is remixing anybody else's music?!?!?! Guy writes his own, does remixes on the side!
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

could be that I have shortchanged him. I'm Looking for a vid that shows him performing.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I just watched "First of the year" on youtube. I Like the Video , but not the "music" . Congrats to whoever conceptualized the video. If it was Mr. Skrillex , perhaps he has a future in cinematography.

Also watched "Cinema/Scary monsters and Nice Sprites" Live in San Diego Petco Park 9/22/11 ......... Looks like a guy standing behind a mixer board playing pre-recorded sounds.

The robot projected behind him and following his movements is admitedly cool.

Return to “Central Okanagan”