Puzzled that people do not listen to warnings

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Puzzled that people do not listen to warnings

Post by Rwede »

We're getting closer to being able to defend ourselves and our loved ones, thanks to Mr Harper.

Citizen's Arrest: Conservative Government Reintroduces Bill

November 24, 2011

OTTAWA - The Conservative government has reintroduced a bill that would define self-defence and citizen's arrest.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson says crime victims should not be revictimized by the criminal justice system.

Current legislation heavily restricts citizen's arrest, allowing it only if perpetrators are caught in the midst of a criminal offence on or involving the arrester's property.

The proposed legislation would authorize an owner or authorized person, like a store employee, to arrest a suspected criminal within a "reasonable amount of time" after committing an offence.

Under the proposed law, the authority to make a citizen's arrest would only apply if a police officer is not available to do the job.

The bill would also reform "self-defence" and "defence-of-property" provisions in the Criminal Code.

Police, prosecutors and the courts have described those existing provisions as confusing and overly complex.

The new legislation aims to make it easier to determine whether people who claim to have defended themselves, others or their property should be charged with or convicted of a crime.

"The legislation in no way compromises the principle that police are the first line of protection against crime," said Robert Goguen, Nicholson's parliamentary secretary.

"Police will continue to have the responsibility to preserve and maintain public peace as Canada's first and foremost criminal law enforcement body. The legislation simply recognizes that the police cannot be everywhere at once and that Canadians must be able to protect themselves and their property in urgent situations."

The bill follows the controversial Safe Streets and Communities Act, which will impose mandatory minimum sentences, curb house arrest, and boost some penalties for drug crimes and sexual predators.

Several provinces have complained the new legislation will cost them millions as jail and prison populations inevitably rise.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
DWallis

Post by DWallis »

That is very exciting news. I hope it passes.
MelanieE

Post by MelanieE »

Funny You post this, as I too noticed that. I guess it is the case that we have to all go about our normal lives, however of course there is still concern for safety. I think its nice that you are concerned about others and being aware yourself. Even in situations where we have to be by ourselves definetly there are precautions those should take. All the power to those that can go out by themselves without fear, to that there are that many and more of us who cant. I am included in those who cant lol way to chicken! All though I do respect the one persons thoughts who can hold their head high with no fears and feels stronger than a predator. That is a great thing! I think?!

The NUMBER ONE most ultimate is cell phone use and headphones...PRETTY sure that the LOL text can wait until coffee break or recess or whatever. Dont get me wrong I Love my smart phone, I love the apps, the games, the internet, my music, facebook, texting and talking but one other thing I have observed and maybe you can watch too now! Take some time out where ever you are and observe just how many people are doing all or one of the above around you and not even noticing whats happening around them!!! Its sooooo crazy! I have some good examples I have seen of this when someone is right beside another person texting and doing something to get their attention and that person does not even respond and this person was TRYING..imagine just having to sneak upon! Even though I love it all, my phone and music, I learned at a young age to be aware of my surroundings and avoid headphones and cell phones when in a potential vulnerable situation. Not that I am saying anything regarding the case you speak of because I dont believe that is why some creep randomly attacked a young woman and I do have strong feelings he will be caught, its just a matter of time.

I do think that if the police and media want the message out there to be educating people about being aware of our surroundings that this is a good start and I do have to say this does include while driving people!! :) :)
Katfish1
Fledgling

Post by Katfish1 »

MelanieE wrote:Funny You post this, as I too noticed that. I guess it is the case that we have to all go about our normal lives, however of course there is still concern for safety. I think its nice that you are concerned about others and being aware yourself. Even in situations where we have to be by ourselves definetly there are precautions those should take. All the power to those that can go out by themselves without fear, to that there are that many and more of us who cant. I am included in those who cant lol way to chicken! All though I do respect the one persons thoughts who can hold their head high with no fears and feels stronger than a predator. That is a great thing! I think?!

The NUMBER ONE most ultimate is cell phone use and headphones...PRETTY sure that the LOL text can wait until coffee break or recess or whatever. Dont get me wrong I Love my smart phone, I love the apps, the games, the internet, my music, facebook, texting and talking but one other thing I have observed and maybe you can watch too now! Take some time out where ever you are and observe just how many people are doing all or one of the above around you and not even noticing whats happening around them!!! Its sooooo crazy! I have some good examples I have seen of this when someone is right beside another person texting and doing something to get their attention and that person does not even respond and this person was TRYING..imagine just having to sneak upon! Even though I love it all, my phone and music, I learned at a young age to be aware of my surroundings and avoid headphones and cell phones when in a potential vulnerable situation. Not that I am saying anything regarding the case you speak of because I dont believe that is why some creep randomly attacked a young woman and I do have strong feelings he will be caught, its just a matter of time.

I do think that if the police and media want the message out there to be educating people about being aware of our surroundings that this is a good start and I do have to say this does include while driving people!! :) :)

:rate10:
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.ॐ
John Lennon
tiaco123

Post by tiaco123 »

I agree people have to be aware, and look out for each other. The fact remains that this person was not caught the first time, now a second time, and still not caught! As frustrating as it is, peoples' lives have to go on. No one knows when or where this horrible person will show up, and hit again! This situation is so damn frustrating!!!!! But my question remains, what is it going to take for this to stop, yet another incident or loss of a loved one? My heart goes out to Taylor's family, and also the lady who was assaulted in Kelowna, who must be going through hell at this time!!! Remember this identified suspect, is still unidentified.I have not seen any new leads being posted by the RCMP, or anything to show that there is anything positive to go on.

Return to “Central Okanagan”