Living in Vernon BC

Grizzly550
Fledgling

Re: Living in Vernon BC

Post by Grizzly550 »

Has anyone been up Hartnell since last spring? There was a massive gouge out of the road about halfway up - looked like it was made by heavy machinery, but i don't know. Has it leveled out or gotten bigger?
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Grizzly550 wrote:Has anyone been up Hartnell since last spring? There was a massive gouge out of the road about halfway up - looked like it was made by heavy machinery, but i don't know. Has it leveled out or gotten bigger?

so who would care and why?? just asking
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Grizzly550 wrote:Has anyone been up Hartnell since last spring? There was a massive gouge out of the road about halfway up - looked like it was made by heavy machinery, but i don't know. Has it leveled out or gotten bigger?

Don't they do that to decommission forestry roads?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Grizzly550
Fledgling

Post by Grizzly550 »

I care because I like going up the mountain that way. It's a nice quick trail, it's a good trail if you have kids with you, etc. We don't do it very often because the parking there is limited.
Definately not a forestry deactivation, and it didn't seem like run off, so we thought maybe man made. Just not sure why.
Just asking and talking about the mountains! I'm tired of sitting here looking at them :)
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Grizzly550 wrote:I care because I like going up the mountain that way. It's a nice quick trail, it's a good trail if you have kids with you, etc. We don't do it very often because the parking there is limited.
Definately not a forestry deactivation, and it didn't seem like run off, so we thought maybe man made. Just not sure why.
Just asking and talking about the mountains! I'm tired of sitting here looking at them :)

well either the gouge was a legal deactivation or a illegle one.Call MOF and ask them?
Grizzly550
Fledgling

Post by Grizzly550 »

Sometimes I wonder if it is possible to post an innocent inquiry without feeling a bit confronted :)
I'm just curious about a road and if it was intentionally or unintentionally deactivated by nature or human and if it still in a useable state. It would save a family on quads from having to try to maneuver around a potentially dangerous obsticle. Is Hartnell an FSR? It's not a maintained road if it is, so MOF probably doesn't care.
It's probably best if I take the question elsewhere. I'm sure I'll find out next time I talk to the ATV club. Just seemed that a few people were reading this thread showed some knowledge of the area, so I thought I'd ask.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

I care. I used to live in the BX and drove around up there with my friends many years ago. I looked at those mountains east of Vernon for 28 years. I see no harm in asking a few questions on here about how the roads are up there now, and about the mystery light up on the ridge. Grizzly was kind enough to take time to drive out and look at the light, roads in that area, and post replies for me. I am very appreciative and thankful for that. Thank you, Grizzly.
Grizzly550
Fledgling

Post by Grizzly550 »

Thanks superbee :sunshine:
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

You are very welcome, Grizzly, I really appreciate you driving out that night looking for the mystery light, and also your observations about the roads up around Dixon Dam. I am very interested if you do get up around Harnell, and also if you get any info from the quad riders. When we kids used to drive around up there there were just a few roads. It is so different now. Alot of us moved away from Vernon, but our hearts are still there. It was a wonderful place to grow up. :sunshine:
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

you guys keep yapping about Hartnell road?It is a main Vernon road.It is not some old forestry road.

Return to “Central Okanagan”