Vernon pool

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Vernon pool

Post by bob vernon »

Kind of surprised at the lack of coverage in the media about the Vernon swimming pool. The Morning Star ran a story, but the other (Kelowna based) media seem to have ignored it. This is a huge story. It will be expensive to repair or replace this building, and it will bring the governance of the North Okanagan into debate once again. I can imagine that the other members of NORD will run for cover and attempt to let Vernon fund the repairs or replacement. And then allow their citizens to have use of these facilities without paying any taxes for their construction. It's happened before.

It looks like repairs could be in the vicinity of $2 million. Rebuilding the pool in its current location might be ruled out by new laws governing building that close to the creek. Rebuilding will be way more than $2 million. Several times more. And a large enough land area must be found. Becker Park? The Civic arena site (Civic can't last much longer). A large car dealership is rumoured to be closing soon and that land might come up as well.
imahoser
Fledgling

Re: Vernon pool

Post by imahoser »

Build a new one, and make it damn good while you're at it!! Vernon needs more family friendly rec, especially in winter.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

imahoser wrote:Build a new one, and make it damn good while you're at it!! Vernon needs more family friendly rec, especially in winter.

Yes yes spend money.Our taxes are not near high enough yet(not) The pool falls under RD parks and recs jursisdiction so the tax load will be spread out to all areas of Vernon ,coldstream etc just as the performing arts and Multiplex loans are now
They just spent a crapload of money last year redoing the pool how could it all of a sudden need replacing?
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

What do you care.. you are rich aren't you? You probably have tax breaks coming out your..

Vernon is in dire need of decent family recreation. AFFORDABLE recreation.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

imahoser wrote:What do you care.. you are rich aren't you? You probably have tax breaks coming out your..

Vernon is in dire need of decent family recreation. AFFORDABLE recreation.

you dont get tax breaks on property taxes.INFACT business property tax are higher than residential.The trouble is the tax payers pay and the renters use so really it should be based on user pays.
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

What I know is that every time my children have used the pools at the rec center, they get immediately ill with fevers and diahrea. Something is wrong there.. whether it be improper chlorination, or inhaling mold spores, or what have you. And the article in the MS confirmed my thoughts on rotting walls and roof. Why waste money on repairing it when the building is already very dated and all kinds of other problems WILL arise. How about they put the new library in there, and build a new rec center where the old library is.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

imahoser wrote:What I know is that every time my children have used the pools at the rec center, they get immediately ill with fevers and diahrea. Something is wrong there.. whether it be improper chlorination, or inhaling mold spores, or what have you. And the article in the MS confirmed my thoughts on rotting walls and roof. Why waste money on repairing it when the building is already very dated and all kinds of other problems WILL arise. How about they put the new library in there, and build a new rec center where the old library is.

I say repair the one we got and start charging higher user fees especially if your a renter.Iam tired of renters getting a free ride in this township.You said"If my children have used the pools at the rec center, they get immediately ill with fevers and diahrea??"
How come the other kids are not sick and if this was true the whole UNIT would have been shut down
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

I do know of other kids that get sick also, but hard to tell what the problem is. May just be from atmosphere/temperature change.

Im sorry, but if you rent your buildings, you are going to have to increase your fees to cover your property taxes. Your argument doesn't fly. Renters do not get a free ride. In the end they have no money and no equity. But the landlord has his nice piece of property paid off. :dyinglaughing:
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

imahoser wrote:I do know of other kids that get sick also, but hard to tell what the problem is. May just be from atmosphere/temperature change.

Im sorry, but if you rent your buildings, you are going to have to increase your fees to cover your property taxes. Your argument doesn't fly. Renters do not get a free ride. In the end they have no money and no equity. But the landlord has his nice piece of property paid off. :dyinglaughing:

Now there lies the problem,Increase fee,s to people whom can not afford a rent increase just so the guy whom cannot afford the rent can have a free swimming pool
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

Well what are you complaining about exactly then?
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

Current rent already covers mortgage, maintenance, taxes and a sweet little profit for the property owner. So how do you figure renters are getting a free ride??
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

Maybe Vernon could make a decent effort at keeping people at home instead of shopping and having fun elsewhere. H2o in Kelowna for example. I can't count how many families I know that go there on a regular basis. Who wants to pay for a rotten old pool when they can go for a quick drive and enjoy fresh clean and modern fun in ktown.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

What the heck does it matter whether you are a renter , or a home owner. The property taxes still get paid. Rental properties pay more tax than home owner occupied properties. As far as I am concerned , renters pay more than their share , and lots of that money stays in Vernon instead of going directly to a bank in Ontario. I take my child to the Vernon Pool about once a week , and we don't get sick. We used to go to H20 often , however the price is high , the water is colder every time we go , and the gas isn't free either.
I personally think that considering the size of Vernon , our pool is quite good. I would gladly pay an extra 50 cents per visit if they would spend it on gas to bring the temp of the leisure pool up about 2 degrees C. Repair the problem ( I am sure it can be done for less than $ 2 M ) and fire the city employee that decided turning off the dehumidifier instead of fixing it was a good idea. If a new one has to be built eventually , somewhere out around the airport would work for me.
By the way , I am not a renter.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

What exactly is wrong with the Vernon pool? I thought the Vernon pool was all redone not long ago? Wouldn't the current creekside location be grandfathered in? It is close beside the creek, but has the building hurt the creek at all in the 50 or so years it has been there?

Imahoser, by any chance do your kids take in any of the pool water into their mouths, or swallow any? I'm sure you've thought of that. I wonder also if there is the virus on surfaces at the rec centre, the one that they get at old age homes and on cruise ships, that causes terrible diarrhea? I'd be upset too if my kids got diarrhea every time they went to the pool.

Rec centre pools seem to be problem places. At our pool here, it is the wart virus that lives on the pool and change room floors that has driven kids and adults crazy for years. I even offered to bring them a jug of Javex to spray around, as they just seem to hose the floors off :(

A question. I have noticed the Coldstream Hotel and other buildings in that block are gone. What is planned for that block?
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

my teenage son hasnt been to the pool since he got "folliculitis". the hot tub kind.

Return to “Central Okanagan”