Shaw HD problems ?

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Shaw HD problems ?

Post by gordon_as »

Switched from digital to HD+ about a week ago. Have been on the phone due to service interruptions 3 different times now. (which usually burns up about an hour of my time each time) Shaw assures me that most people have problem free service.
Are they lying to me ? Are you a Shaw HD customer who has problem free service ? or Are you having lots of problems too ?
toughnut
Board Meister

Re: Shaw HD problems ?

Post by toughnut »

gordon_as wrote:Switched from digital to HD+ about a week ago. Have been on the phone due to service interruptions 3 different times now. (which usually burns up about an hour of my time each time) Shaw assures me that most people have problem free service.
Are they lying to me ? Are you a Shaw HD customer who has problem free service ? or Are you having lots of problems too ?

Hate to say this as I hate shawTV as they are ripoff artists but have had my HD for almost 2 years and never ever had a problem?
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Well , that's encouraging. I'm hoping my cable box might just be a dud , and a different one will work better.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

gordon_as wrote:Well , that's encouraging. I'm hoping my cable box might just be a dud , and a different one will work better.

Sounds like a bad box . We had some very brief glitches for a few days here but nothing that would warrant a phone call .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

I just pulled the plug on shaw everything. Saving more than $20 a month for more, with Optik.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

imahoser wrote:I just pulled the plug on shaw everything. Saving more than $20 a month for more, with Optik.

hate to crap on your dreams but optik is not near as good as shaw in the end and when your free inrtroductory ride ends the rates are just as Bad Shaw
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

Thats ok, got nothing to lose. Ill just keep switching back and forth. :spinball:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Without going in to all the problems my family/friends have with the signal quality from Shaw ... just have a look around in these forums and count how many similar threads about Shaw there are compared to Bell or Telus ... just sayin' :spinball:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

If you continue to have problems with cable after they change the box, it might be your outdoor cables to the house. I had ongoing problems, but finally they discovered my outdated cables had to be changed. They were at least 15 years old, so not up to par in dealing with the technological changes. I got a month of free cable/internet/phone and have had not problems since.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

toughnut wrote:
imahoser wrote:I just pulled the plug on shaw everything. Saving more than $20 a month for more, with Optik.

hate to crap on your dreams but optik is not near as good as shaw in the end and when your free inrtroductory ride ends the rates are just as Bad Shaw

That's the kicker. They suck you in with "low rates" but sign you to a 3 year term
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

no contract for this gal, thanks. Im not stupid.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Well , after a 5th time waiting for a call back and tech support , and today's visits from tech's ( 2nd and 3rd time ) , they seem to have it sorted out. They gave me a new box , and then determined that the signal on my street was wonkey , so ended up in the bucket truck for a while. I gotta say that even though it has been a pain , shaw has gone the extra mile to make it work. The worst of it is that it is frustrating dealing with the auto answering system and then waiting for a call back. And then waiting 2 or 3 days for a tech. I just have to accept that's the way things work these days and that it would probably happen the same way with any other provider too. The local guys (tech's) are doing a good job , but maybe shaw should have more people answering phones.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

I wanted to watch the Calgary - Ottawa game last night , it was on Sportsnet WEST , hmmmm as I thought I had all sports related channels . Oh well it says on screen I can buy this channel a la cart for 2.95 ! Sweet , call up and get hooked up , hmmm it dont work , 2nd call , they say its fixed now , hmmmm still blank , 3rd call , I get apologies and claim it will come on in minutes. Ok cool , thanks ! 4th call , right to supervisor who within 20 seconds realizes that this game is blacked out in my area. I think they need better trained 'technicians' . :dyinglaughing:
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

xjeepguy wrote:I wanted to watch the Calgary - Ottawa game last night , it was on Sportsnet WEST , hmmmm as I thought I had all sports related channels . Oh well it says on screen I can buy this channel a la cart for 2.95 ! Sweet , call up and get hooked up , hmmm it dont work , 2nd call , they say its fixed now , hmmmm still blank , 3rd call , I get apologies and claim it will come on in minutes. Ok cool , thanks ! 4th call , right to supervisor who within 20 seconds realizes that this game is blacked out in my area. I think they need better trained 'technicians' . :dyinglaughing:

Yup - won't see many Flames or Oilers games here. After many 'non-answers' from Shaw I researched myself and found this:

Sportsnet NHL Blackout Explanations
Due to regional broadcast regulations set forth by the NHL, Sportsnet game telecasts must be blacked out in certain areas of Canada. The broadcast boundaries for Sportsnet's regional NHL games have been set by the NHL since the network's inception in 1998 and Sportsnet is contractually obligated to follow them.

To help our viewers better understand how they are impacted by blackouts, here is an outline of where specific team telecasts are available:

Vancouver Canucks:
Any Vancouver Canuck games on Sportsnet Pacific or the Sportsnet ONE companion channel Sportsnet Vancouver Hockey can only be seen in British Columbia and the Yukon.

Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers:
Any Calgary Flames or Edmonton Oilers games on Sportsnet West or the Sportsnet ONE companion channels Sportsnet Flames and Sportsnet Oilers can only be seen in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Sucks to be a Flames fan living in BC!
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Thanks for the explanation . Not sure what the reasoning is for blacking out a Flames game in BC . Silly !

Return to “Central Okanagan”