Volunteer firefighter killed in blaze in Enderby, B.C.

Bubalouie
Guru

Re: Volunteer firefighter killed in blaze in Enderby, B.C.

Post by Bubalouie »

thanks Mama, I like that...an aside, I heard on the radio this morning that a firefighter is the 3rd stressfull job out there.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

RHRR wrote:I can only speak for the department of which I was a member, but we all paid social dues and it was from there we paid for things such as parades, scholarships, benevolence etc.

mayor quimby wrote:I was there yesterday as a firefighter in uniform, I am from a small volunteer department not that unlike Enderby's. We sent 14 firefighters and more would have gone except they had work that they just couldn't get out of and we couldn't take everybody because someone had to stay behind just in case there was a call at home. Each person that went took a day off work at their expense and went because they felt the need to go support this community and family. I do believe that some larger departments would have a line item in their budgets for things like this of it would perhaps be a union thing (and believe me I have no idea how unions fund things like this) but for the smaller departments these things are usually payed for out of pocket or the social commitee might chip in a little for travelling costs.

Thats kind of what I figured how it worked and was funded. Thanks for the answers :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

It is so sad, the tragedies that have happened around the area in the past couple of weeks. I am fairly new to the area, but I do love how everyone, generally, comes together in such times of sorrow. The Dad and the two little boys; the young fireman at the threshold of his life, doing what he loved. Our hearts and our love go out to the families and friends of these lost loved ones. Time alone will heal the heartache; family and friends will help ease the pain with hugs and tears and smiles and words of encouragement; and God will help you in ways you never dreamed.
Big hugs to all involved. My heart hurts for you.
As far as attacking Castanet?? I don't think that is fair or right. Castanet does a great job of keeping us posted and up-to-date with all the goings on in and around the area.
What we all need to do is support the families of the ones lost, and do our best to comfort them.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
tjc

Post by tjc »

Bubalouie wrote:thanks Mama, I like that...an aside, I heard on the radio this morning that a firefighter is the 3rd stressfull job out there.

Firefighting the Second-Most Stressful Job in the Nation, White Paper Reports (with Related Video)
Jan 5, 2012 11:38 AM

By Mary Rose Roberts ([email protected])

A new job-stress report by CareerCast.com found that firefighters have the second most-stressful job in the country, exceeded only by those enrolled in the military.

The job-stress white paper states that 36% of all workers admit they feel tense or stressed out during their workdays, with 20% reporting that their average daily level of stress is an 8, 9 or 10 on a 10-point scale. Tony Lee, publisher of CareerCast.com — a free job website — said researchers at the University of Wisconsin–Madison regularly research and update statistics for the report. Researchers use 11 different stress factors to compile data, which includes whether the job has high physical demands, what environmental issues are present, the amount of hazards, risk to life, hiring outlook and more.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

Bubalouie wrote:thanks Mama, I like that...an aside, I heard on the radio this morning that a firefighter is the 3rd stressfull job out there.

I

Return to “Central Okanagan”