Volunteer firefighter killed in blaze in Enderby, B.C.

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Volunteer firefighter killed in blaze in Enderby, B.C.

Post by oneh2obabe »

1 dead, 1 injured as explosion rips through shed
CBC News
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 7:05 AM PT
Last Updated: Dec 29, 2011 7:46 AM PT

A volunteer firefighter was killed and another was injured after fire and an explosion tore through a log construction business in the north Okanagan region of B.C., RCMP have confirmed.

The fire broke out about 4 a.m. PT Thursday at Sperlich Log Construction, in Enderby, about 35 kilometres north of Vernon.

Within an hour, about two dozen volunteer firefighters from the community thought they had the blaze under control, but then an explosion ripped through a shed, killing one firefighter and injuring another.

The firefighter's name has not yet been released, but RCMP spokesman Gord Molendyk said the news of the death will hit the small community hard.

"It will rock the whole community. First of all Enderby is a small, tight-knit community. When you lose an individual who is volunteering his time for the community it will rock that community," he said.

Local media reported a large timber-frame building was engulfed by the fire. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... ghter.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alishaklassen

Re: Volunteer firefighter killed in blaze in Enderby, B.C.

Post by alishaklassen »

Mt heart goes out to the people of Enderby and the family of this fallen fire fighter. I cannot imagine the heartbreak. I wish for everyone all the support they will need. This is a tragedy for so many.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Very sad :(
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

So many local tragedies lately.. super sad :(
alisvolatpropriis
Fledgling

Post by alisvolatpropriis »

My thoughts and prayers go out to this young mans family and friends. This is such a tragedy. I am so so sorry for your loss. :smt085
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Big Bacardi »

I did not know the man personally, however i do know people who knew him.

very sad, very tragic.

from all accounts, he was the salt of the earth kinda guy.

tragic....

RIP
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Anyone else find it incredibly tasteless that Castanet keeps piling onto this story? The story was tragic enough they don't need to throw the "he was recently wed" on there. What business of ours is it that he was recently married they are just trying to milk it of every view they can.

I can only imagine that poor woman wants to be left alone to grieve not have her picture slathered all over the internet...disgusting.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Oxl3y wrote:Anyone else find it incredibly tasteless that Castanet keeps piling onto this story? The story was tragic enough they don't need to throw the "he was recently wed" on there. What business of ours is it that he was recently married they are just trying to milk it of every view they can.

I can only imagine that poor woman wants to be left alone to grieve not have her picture slathered all over the internet...disgusting.

Maybe she gave them that picture?

It is sad, though. Very. He sounds like a good guy.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
JJP
Fledgling

Post by JJP »

God Forbid if anything had ever happen to my husband when he was in the Military. But I would want people to know and recognize the sacrifice he had made for his Country and for his Community. Sure I would want to grieve but I would want people to know what a hero he was as well. My heart goes out to his newly wife and their family.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

JJP wrote:God Forbid if anything had ever happen to my husband when he was in the Military. But I would want people to know and recognize the sacrifice he had made for his Country and for his Community. Sure I would want to grieve but I would want people to know what a hero he was as well. My heart goes out to his newly wife and their family.

Look I'm not taking anything away from the guy...he bravely served his community and his story definitely deserves to be told but I've watched the headlines change as the story developed and I believe they took it too far.

Man dies in enderby fire
Volunteer firefighter dies in explosion
Recently wed man dies in explosion (none of our business and they are just hyper sensationalizing a story that didn't need any help)

My thoughts are of course with the family of this brave man I just think Castanet is showing absolutely no class.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Nice touch Don Cherry honours this fallen Firefighter on HNIC.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Oxl3y wrote:Look I'm not taking anything away from the guy...he bravely served his community and his story definitely deserves to be told but I've watched the headlines change as the story developed and I believe they took it too far.

Man dies in enderby fire
Volunteer firefighter dies in explosion
Recently wed man dies in explosion (none of our business and they are just hyper sensationalizing a story that didn't need any help)

My thoughts are of course with the family of this brave man I just think Castanet is showing absolutely no class.

As more information comes in or is made available to them, they are just updating the story. There's nothing disrespectful about that - it's just keeping things current.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
davidsmom

Post by davidsmom »

I am looking for the link that has Don Cherry speaking about the fire. The volunteer killed in that fire was my cousin and I understand that they couldn't even get his age right or his mother's name and I would like to check out the video. Can someone please send it to me.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

I just watched the funeral procession. What a wonderful tribute to a fallen comrade. The procession walking was over a km long followed by at least 2 km of fire trucks and emergency vehicles from communities as far away a Comox on Vancouver Island that I could see.

Just one question, what has happened to his injured comrade? No name or reports of how well he is doing. I hate to think he is forgotten in the tragedy of the lost firefighter.

Considering this is volunteer fire department, the injured firefighter could perhaps use some support also?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

watchkat wrote:I just watched the funeral procession. What a wonderful tribute to a fallen comrade. The procession walking was over a km long followed by at least 2 km of fire trucks and emergency vehicles from communities as far away a Comox on Vancouver Island that I could see.

Just one question, what has happened to his injured comrade? No name or reports of how well he is doing. I hate to think he is forgotten in the tragedy of the lost firefighter.

Considering this is volunteer fire department, the injured firefighter could perhaps use some support also?

I have wondered about this as well. No one seems to know who it was.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Central Okanagan”