Volunteer firefighter killed in blaze in Enderby, B.C.

RHRR

Re: Volunteer firefighter killed in blaze in Enderby, B.C.

Post by RHRR »

Thank you to Castanet for the live stream of the very impressive and touching support from what appeared to be well over 500 firefighters, paramedics, RCMP, Search and Rescue and seemed like 40+ emergency apparartus. My heart goes out to the Botkin family, friends and his brothers at the Enderby Fire Department. That was a very sad day indeed!

I am sure when his children are older the display of honor and respect shown today will show them what a hero their Daddy was!
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

davidsmom wrote:I am looking for the link that has Don Cherry speaking about the fire. The volunteer killed in that fire was my cousin and I understand that they couldn't even get his age right or his mother's name and I would like to check out the video. Can someone please send it to me.

Hi Davidsmom. I had it, if you still want it I will find it and forward it to you.

gardengirl wrote:
watchkat wrote:Just one question, what has happened to his injured comrade? No name or reports of how well he is doing. I hate to think he is forgotten in the tragedy of the lost firefighter.

Considering this is volunteer fire department, the injured firefighter could perhaps use some support also?

I have wondered about this as well. No one seems to know who it was.

Dont worry, he wont be lost in the shuffle. These guys are VERY tight, and so is this town. They are all suffering deep wounds, but will take care of each other. This is a very loved department.
RIP Dan, and hugs to the rest of you boys.
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

Its a tragedy when something like this happens but why does society make such a specticle out of it? To me the two little boys and their father that died in the sicamous fire is far more tragic than this will ever be.I bet you dont see 1000 people attend that funeral
Iam sorry but I dont see this firemans death any different than the next needless accidental death of any person.
I see people at this funeral more emotional than if there own brother or father died?Its rediculous IMHO
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

be taken.
Last edited by canuck500 on Jan 5th, 2012, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RHRR

Post by RHRR »

toughnut wrote:Its a tragedy when something like this happens but why does society make such a specticle out of it? To me the two little boys and their father that died in the sicamous fire is far more tragic than this will ever be.I bet you dont see 1000 people attend that funeral
Iam sorry but I dont see this firemans death any different than the next needless accidental death of any person.
I see people at this funeral more emotional than if there own brother or father died?Its rediculous IMHO

Anytime there is a death it is tragic and yes the young father and his children in that trailer fire is devastating. The "specticle" as you called it is because this "fireman" Capt. Daniel Botkin volunteered to risk his life to protect and save the lives of everyone around him. He is the one that ran into a burning building while others ran out! He was the one that put his life at risk on the highway from inconsiderate drivers and looky-lou's that don't watch where they are going because they are trying to get a morbid look at someone else's tragedy as a result of a Moter Vehicle Incident. The 1000 + people that attended to pay their RESPECT to Dan and other emergency personnel that have lost their life protecting ours understand the sacrifice they and their families make daily to keep us safe. As to your comment about being more emotional than if their own had died.......How do you know how emotional any one person is or will be. We all deal with grief in different ways and degrees and it certainly isn't up to you to decide how they should react. I sure hope when the day comes that you require the assistance of a Firefighter and/or a Paramedic this post plays over in your head and you realize, be it a personal opinion or not, just how "ridiculous" you came across. You should be ashamed, that is IMHO!!!!!
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

canuck500 wrote:Rather disgusting that Kelly Hayes used a video shot from inside the arena when the family had requested no photography or pictures be taken.

really none of my concern but when you have such a public spectacle being played out does not one assume pictures will be taken?
and beacuse its being made into such a public spectacle by the media and public in general does the family actually have the right to total privacy?I think not.
Just saying
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

toughnut wrote:beacuse its being made into such a public spectacle by the media and public in general does the family actually have the right to total privacy?

Legal right? No.

However, there are some reporters/editors out there who take a family's wishes into consideration when making decision on what to do.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

toughnut wrote:
canuck500 wrote:Rather disgusting that Kelly Hayes used a video shot from inside the arena when the family had requested no photography or pictures be taken.

really none of my concern but when you have such a public spectacle being played out does not one assume pictures will be taken?
and beacuse its being made into such a public spectacle by the media and public in general does the family actually have the right to total privacy?I think not.
Just saying

The family requested no media at the service. It is about RESPECT. Kelly Hayes obviously does not understand that.
Not classy, not classy at all.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

Here is at least one notice of the family's wishes
http://www.fcabc.bc.ca/
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Boots Riley

Post by Boots Riley »

toughnut wrote:Its a tragedy when something like this happens but why does society make such a specticle out of it? To me the two little boys and their father that died in the sicamous fire is far more tragic than this will ever be.I bet you dont see 1000 people attend that funeral

If you had one more eye you'd be a cyclops, which explains missing the premise.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'm going to try and ask this question as carefully as possible, I'm not trying to start any big discussion on it, and if it does, I do apologize in advance, its not my intent to do so but I'm just curious about it ...

In regards to all the emergency personnel coming in from other communities for the funeral, some with equipment. Who finances such a trip? Do they have a special fund for such events, do they pay for it out of their own pocket or does it come out of the budget?

Again, I'm not trying to start anything by asking this, I think its great that other members show such great respect, but I am curious.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
RHRR

Post by RHRR »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'm going to try and ask this question as carefully as possible, I'm not trying to start any big discussion on it, and if it does, I do apologize in advance, its not my intent to do so but I'm just curious about it ...

In regards to all the emergency personnel coming in from other communities for the funeral, some with equipment. Who finances such a trip? Do they have a special fund for such events, do they pay for it out of their own pocket or does it come out of the budget?

Again, I'm not trying to start anything by asking this, I think its great that other members show such great respect, but I am curious.

I can only speak for the department of which I was a member, but we all paid social dues and it was from there we paid for things such as parades, scholarships, benevolence etc.
mayor quimby

Post by mayor quimby »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'm going to try and ask this question as carefully as possible, I'm not trying to start any big discussion on it, and if it does, I do apologize in advance, its not my intent to do so but I'm just curious about it ...

I was there yesterday as a firefighter in uniform, I am from a small volunteer department not that unlike Enderby's. We sent 14 firefighters and more would have gone except they had work that they just couldn't get out of and we couldn't take everybody because someone had to stay behind just in case there was a call at home. Each person that went took a day off work at their expense and went because they felt the need to go support this community and family. I do believe that some larger departments would have a line item in their budgets for things like this of it would perhaps be a union thing (and believe me I have no idea how unions fund things like this) but for the smaller departments these things are usually payed for out of pocket or the social commitee might chip in a little for travelling costs.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

Wondering why we honor them? This is why!
“They went in there because they were called,
Though flames had filled the sky;
They knew the odds, they knew the risk, But they knew they had to try.”
“They went in there because no one else, Has courage to do the same;
They pray to God to guide them through, That searing, sacrificial flame.”
“They went in there, that’s what we expect,
They go with bravery and pride, ‘We’ll hold you safe’ they promise us, We will not stand outside.”
“They went in there because for years, That’s what they train to do;
And if the doors of hell have shut you in, They’ll come inside for you!”
“They went in there and they will again, And the only thing they ask, Is to pray for those who did not come out, And to respect their awesome task.”
Jim McGregor Fire Chief Ret.
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.

Return to “Central Okanagan”