Anderson Way Traffic Light Timing Change... Finally!

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Anderson Way Traffic Light Timing Change... Finally!

Post by Dizzy1 »

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but after about a good 3 years, the timing at the traffic light on 27th Street and Anderson has finally been changed. Now cars crossing 27th Street going towards Walmart finally have a light that lets more than 4 cars at a time through .... about flippin' time! The sheer stupidity of traffic "engineers" that let only 4 cars through and let the traffic line up to The Home Depot was mind boggling to say the least.

Now if only these braniacs will close up 31st Street and 48th Ave to people trying to make a left turn onto 31st from 48th instead of using the traffic light at 29th Street 50 feet away.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dg3
Board Meister

Re: Anderson Way Traffic Light Timing Change ... Finally!

Post by dg3 »

the traffic planners for vernon need to be fired.
a 5 year old could do a better job.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

What about the Hwy 97 (32st) and 43ave intersection? This is a highway, you know, as in lots of traffic. It can take two or three lights from the about the Vernon Square exit to finally get through the intersection; such a ridiculous lack of hwy traffic flow.
Grizzly550
Fledgling

Post by Grizzly550 »

The Anderson way lighting change is excellent news! I've always been confused at why the left turn light off of 48th onto Anderson was the most lengthy in town, while trying to exit the other end was one of the shortest!

slightly off topic from Anderson Way/ 27th street:
While traffic in Vernon irritates me to no end, I think those who place the blame on "Vernon traffic planners" need to keep in mind the sometimes difficult coordination situation our city faces. 32th street is HWY 97. The maintenance and upkeep of this route is the responsibility of the province, not the city. I am unsure of how this lends itself to traffic lights, but I would assume any changes to the provinces traffic light timing is a lengthy process, and low on the provinces priorities when it comes to approving changes.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

coffeeFreak wrote:What about the Hwy 97 (32st) and 43ave intersection? This is a highway, you know, as in lots of traffic. It can take two or three lights from the about the Vernon Square exit to finally get through the intersection; such a ridiculous lack of hwy traffic flow.

I just wish they would finally fix/re-pave that intersection, especially the corner by the Safeway gas bar ... sheesh I've been on forestry roads with less bumps and holes :spinball:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

Dizzy1 wrote:I don't know if anyone has noticed, but after about a good 3 years, the timing at the traffic light on 27th Street and Anderson has finally been changed. Now cars crossing 27th Street going towards Walmart finally have a light that lets more than 4 cars at a time through .... about flippin' time! The sheer stupidity of traffic "engineers" that let only 4 cars through and let the traffic line up to The Home Depot was mind boggling to say the least.

Now if only these braniacs will close up 31st Street and 48th Ave to people trying to make a left turn onto 31st from 48th instead of using the traffic light at 29th Street 50 feet away.

The longer lite will surely help but in reality not constructing a much longer right+left turn lane in this area reallys adds a lot to do with the long line ups.50% of the traffic in the line up want to turn right or left but can not as the straight through and right+Left turn are all in one except for the last 3-4 car length,s
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

If they would just put in a freaking right turn lane coming off the highway, right on 43rd by the safeway gas bar, it would solve a lot of problems right there. But nooooooo, they gotta make roads narrower and 15ft wide sidewalks somewhere completely irrelevant to traffic flow. Geez
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

imahoser wrote:If they would just put in a freaking right turn lane coming off the highway, right on 43rd by the safeway gas bar, it would solve a lot of problems right there. But nooooooo, they gotta make roads narrower and 15ft wide sidewalks somewhere completely irrelevant to traffic flow. Geez

It's good to know I'm not the only one that feels that way, and it's not just there. This town is nothing but one traffic bottleneck after another. All the the so-called traffic planners in this town have done is cramp the flow of traffic even more with the ridiculous intersection 'blisters' that are cropping up everywhere. In it's infinite wisdom the city of Vernon installed another one recently on the corner of PV and BX roads, just around the corner from where I live. The curb itself isn't painted and sticks so far out into the road that people run into it without seeing it. On top of that, the new pedestrian-controlled traffic light was installed on the south side of the intersection, much closer to the blind curve on that side of PV than it was before. I've seen vehicles coming around that curve at well over 60 kph even with the yellow warning light flashing. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! :purefury:
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Verminator, is that thing sticking out from the side of BX Road? Coming down BX Road towards the Hunter's Store intersection?Sometimes when we come to Vernon we do use BX Road, and I don't want to hit this protrusion. And did they move the pedestrian crossing from infront of Hunter's? If it is closer to the cemetery now, that is really dumb,IMO. Fast drivers and a blind curve.....
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

superbee wrote:Verminator, is that thing sticking out from the side of BX Road? Coming down BX Road towards the Hunter's Store intersection?Sometimes when we come to Vernon we do use BX Road, and I don't want to hit this protrusion. And did they move the pedestrian crossing from infront of Hunter's? If it is closer to the cemetery now, that is really dumb,IMO. Fast drivers and a blind curve.....

That's the one. The old pedestrian-controlled traffic light was on the north side of the intersection directly across from Hunter's Store. It was moved to the other (south) side for reasons I can't fathom, significantly increasing the exposure of pedestrians to the speeding morons coming around that blind curve. It's easier and safer to cross PV opposite Hunter's even without the light, at least there you have a chance of seeing these idiots before they run you down.

If the city of Vernon actually knew what it was doing or at least had some common sense, it would've spent that money on installing sidewalks along PV Road instead of wasting it on this idiotic idea. Over the years PV has become a very heavily used feeder road with lots of traffic and lots of pedestians who are forced to walk on the road. This is an urgent problem, and has been for a long, long time. As usual, it'll take another death just like the 2 that occurred on 20th St before the inmates in charge of the asylum get off their fat butts and do something about it.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

How bizarre to move that pedestrian crossing. PV Road certainly has alot of traffic now, and there are alot of speed morons. We often use PV Road to exit Vernon. We go past Butcher Boys and turn left at Squires Four and George Lee's to join the highway north, to miss all the traffic along 27th Street. Thank you for the warning.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

If PV Road really needs an improvement, its a left turn lane from going northbound on PV and turning left on to 48th Ave ... many times, if there is one car turning left there, they'll be the only ones that make it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

And the light at Anderson Way and 27th Street is back down to 3-4 cars max, meanwhile traffic is backed up to Home Depot again. Its really time that this nonsense of the Province controlling traffic flow by some glorified accountant that sits in Victoria just because its a Provincial highway is done with and left up to the City that has to deal with the traffic.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Dizzy1 wrote:And the light at Anderson Way and 27th Street is back down to 3-4 cars max, meanwhile traffic is backed up to Home Depot again. Its really time that this nonsense of the Province controlling traffic flow by some glorified accountant that sits in Victoria just because its a Provincial highway is done with and left up to the City that has to deal with the traffic.

I doubt its a accountant that sets the traffic timers on 27 street.why do u say that.Also to remember 27 street is actually the part of Hy97 N.The biggest problem I see there is the poor highway design involving the rail tracks.its too short of a distance and it only takes 3-4 vehicles going straight to block the huge amount of traffic that wants to turn right.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

27th street is no longer a highway, and should be closed to large trucks,

Return to “Central Okanagan”