Roundabouts

iansimpson

Roundabouts

Post by iansimpson »

Okay folks Im getting pretty tired of the fact that no one over the age of 30 knows the proper way to use a roundabout. signal left to stay in, signal right to go out. pretty simple, lets see if we can do that, they put signals on your vehicle for a reason. if everyone signals their intent roundabouts flow quite a bit better. I hope that clears the mud a littl
coldfinger

Re: Roundabouts

Post by coldfinger »

No. Check the rules (http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/roundabouts/index.html). Just signal when you exit.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

iansimpson wrote:Okay folks Im getting pretty tired of the fact that no one over the age of 30 knows the proper way to use a roundabout. signal left to stay in, signal right to go out. pretty simple, lets see if we can do that, they put signals on your vehicle for a reason. if everyone signals their intent roundabouts flow quite a bit better. I hope that clears the mud a littl

What really wacks me out is how people think they can just follow through without yeilding and at 50K+ instead of 30K
I have seen a couple Taxi drivers whom certainly need a lesson in the yeild department on 32 ave+PV road RA.
But yes the signal deal is certainly perplexing .
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

coldfinger wrote:No. Check the rules (http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/roundabouts/index.html). Just signal when you exit.

yes it does say that and the persons whom wrote the rules are wrong.If a person is on your right looking to enter the RA and wish to continue as U do have the rightaway u should signal left out of shear curtesey
iansimpson

Post by iansimpson »

its not like its that hard to flip your signal on to stay in a roundabout and it makes everyones day nicer, and could cut down on potential accidents. i do see some taxis and other drivers going through without even touching the brakes and i can guarantee they are gonna have an accident one of these days, not to mention stressing their tires more than necessary
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

iansimpson wrote:Okay folks Im getting pretty tired of the fact that no one over the age of 30 knows the proper way to use a roundabout. signal left to stay in, signal right to go out. pretty simple, lets see if we can do that, they put signals on your vehicle for a reason. if everyone signals their intent roundabouts flow quite a bit better. I hope that clears the mud a littl

Oh please, not signalling hardly has anything to do with age these days...trucks, buses, young, old, and middle aged, it appears signalling anywhere is becoming a lost art.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

iansimpson wrote:Okay folks Im getting pretty tired of the fact that no one over the age of 30 knows the proper way to use a roundabout. signal left to stay in,

u must be that motorcycle cop who does not know bc roundybout statutes. no left signal is required while in one.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

u must be that motorcycle cop who does not know bc roundybout statutes. no left signal is required while in one.[/quote]

yes DG3 we are all fully aware of that, all we are saying is one should do out of commen courtesy and the fact that thats really what the law should read.Left turn offf iff going full circle
BUT like i said the bad A$$ people are the ones who dont yeild and when U toot at them they are mad as hell at u
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

iansimpson wrote:its not like its that hard to flip your signal on to stay in a roundabout and it makes everyones day nicer, and could cut down on potential accidents. i do see some taxis and other drivers going through without even touching the brakes and i can guarantee they are gonna have an accident one of these days, not to mention stressing their tires more than necessary

We've been down this path already a number of times. Your first post was incorrect as the law only states leaving the roundabout requires use of signal indicators.

Consequently you have no grounds to get annoyed with people for not signalling their intention to stay in if there's no law obligating them to do so. I suggest you do like everyone else and assume anyone who isn't indicating an exit, is staying in the circle/roundabout.

Some of the circles around my area are so small that signalling to stay in it simply makes no sense as it only flashes about once before you're leaving, plus I've noted it confuses the others for some reason, based on the look on their faces.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ticat900 wrote:I have seen a couple Taxi drivers whom certainly need a lesson in the yeild department on 32 ave+PV road RA.

I don't really want to go off topic here, but there are a couple of taxi drivers in this town that need a few lessons in more than just roundabouts ... not gonna mention which car make and model one particular cabbie drives but observations of his habits over the last few weeks conclude that he needs to loose his license pretty quick before we have another major cab accident.

Back to roundabouts though, they are so simple to use but people just don't get it around here, my biggest problem with them, usually involving seniors, is that they come to a complete stop in the middle of them to let other people in .... ummm no, its the other way around. Then you have the same age bracket of drivers that will sit there and wait until the roundabout is completely empty before they enter ... as an example, going eastbound on 30th, they'll sit there until a driver who is just about to enter from the opposite direction (30th westbound) and remain stopped until that vehicle exits even though there is absolutly no collision potential. Then you have the younger crowds who don't even look to see if the roundabout is clear, they just come up to it, look the other way and go. Then you have those rednecks in the jacked up pick-me-up trucks who either think its cool or are just too lazy to use the roadway and cruise right on over the curbs in the middle ... yeah, you guys are cool :127:

As for signalling, from my years driving overseas where roundabouts are normal and more abundant than you can even imagine, its recommeded you only signal when exiting the roundabout, in particular smaller roundabouts and studies have found when there is a high volume of cars going in and out, and everyone is signalling left/right it becomes to confusing for drivers entering ... the golden rule of thumb there is, if there is enough space to enter the roundabout, you enter.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

I dont see anything confusing about a R or L signal? R your exiting L your continuing however seeing as we have inadaquit law in this department Iam not going to worry about the Left signal use here.I use it and always have used it and will continue to use it.As far as BAD driver using RA, If I was not a defensive driver one could have accident almost every time you go through it.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

The signalling argument is moot because most of the 'drivers' around here - and I use that term in the loosest possible way - don't bother with their signals at all, not just in the roundabouts. The first thing we need to do is teach them what that funny little stick on the left side of the steering wheel is for. :purefury:
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ticat900 wrote:I dont see anything confusing about a R or L signal?

You might not, I might not but studies in other countries have shown that they do confuse enough people to recommend only using your right signal to exit.

ticat900 wrote:R your exiting L your continuing however seeing as we have inadaquit law in this department Iam not going to worry about the Left signal use here.

We have inaduquete laws in lots of areas, and very lax enforcement in many laws we do have.

ticat900 wrote:I use it and always have used it and will continue to use it..

I'm not stopping you.
ticat900 wrote:As far as BAD driver using RA, If I was not a defensive driver one could have accident almost every time you go through it.

That I agree with, same goes with 4 way stops. There are enough problems with standard stop signs where people making a left turn think they have the right of way before someone going straight through just because they got there first, no you don't, its not a 4 way.

Verminator wrote:The signalling argument is moot because most of the 'drivers' around here - and I use that term in the loosest possible way - don't bother with their signals at all, not just in the roundabouts.:

I agree with this as well.

Verminator wrote:The first thing we need to do is teach them what that funny little stick on the left side of the steering wheel is for. :purefury:

Thats the donut holder, right? :spinball:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”