Ashton acquitted.

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Ashton acquitted.

Post by Fritzthecat »

About time too. This story was utterly ridiculous from the get go. The "boy" claimed to have had sex with her 200-300 times but couldn't describe her tattoo? Come on. His story was just that: a story. A story to impress his friends and in the process ruined this person's life. Didn't ANYBODY question the validity of his story before they proceeded with this ridiculous mess? I doubt it! They ought to hang him by his balls for what he did to her because he wanted to be a "big man" with his buddies.

Boys of that age claiming to have had sex with their teachers is nothing new. Just about every 13 year old boy I went to school with had sex with his teachers. Of course, 20+ years ago, we didn't over react nonsense 13 year old fantasies until it was validated.

This case just makes me furious! Even though she was acquitted, it sets a dangerous precedent: Don't like somebody? Make a ridiculous claim about them! Problem solved, lives ruined.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Ashton acquitted.

Post by Fancy »

Just because she was acquitted doesn't mean she wasn't guilty. Or at least having inappropriate relationships with students. I'm not up on the ins and outs of this story though for this case to have gone this far there must have been some basis for the complaint.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Fritzthecat wrote:This case just makes me furious! Even though she was acquitted, it sets a dangerous precedent: Don't like somebody? Make a ridiculous claim about them! Problem solved, lives ruined.

I agree. This is a case of a teacher taking pity on a visible minority in one of the whitest schools in the Okanagan, only to get screwed (figuratively) because of it.

I once had a teacher who was accused of sexual abuse. Even though the accuser recanted, the damage was done. The teacher had put his heart and soul into the school, and these accusations ruined his reputation around town. He ended up taking his own life.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

My concern - why have students to your house? In this case -
Labour Day weekend in 2003 where Ashton allegedly brought the boy to her parent's Coquitlam home
I'm not saying anything beyond making sure a relationship between student and teacher must remain professional.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Fancy wrote:My concern - why have students to your house? In this case
- Labour Day weekend in 2003 where Ashton allegedly brought the boy to her parent's Coquitlam home
I'm not saying anything beyond making sure a relationship between student and teacher must remain professional.

Just wanted to highlight one word for you Fancy. I think youmight have missed it.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

No, I didn't miss it - I just think sometimes there is more to a story than we know. I'm not a judge nor do I condemn but that is one fact that should have and could have been verified. I remember school and teachers and get togethers and sometimes teachers take it the one step further that lands them in a situation that can get them in trouble innocent as it was. There will always be information the public doesn't know .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Fancy, as far as I'm concerned you've still got her on trial and guilty at the same time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Queen K wrote:Fancy, as far as I'm concerned you've still got her on trial and guilty at the same time.

Yep Queen, I agree.
The whole story was baloney from the get go. I know, I was a 13 year old boy once myself. We all told tall tales about sex. This guy just didn't know when to grow up and quit spewing the rubbish.

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

imho.if she was a man, and did this to a female student she would be going to jail today for at least 3 years :ohmygod:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
redlight0516

Post by redlight0516 »

I've heard that a lot and I would like to know why you think that?

A lack of evidence is a lack of evidence, particularly in a trial by Judge.
freedom2011

Post by freedom2011 »

This is my first ever post. I like to think I'm not judgemental (still workin' on it) but the only info I got on this case was through media and I have to say THEY sure as hell made her out to be guilty in all their reporting. Shame on me for believing every skewed view. This woman has lived (not really) these past years with horrific doubts about her character and integrity, among other things. You, 12 now 22 year old `victim`should be followed for the rest of your life as the `PERJURER. Maybe they`ll make a series out of you *bleep*. I apologize Ms. Ashton for judging without all the facts...
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

The woman was found "not guilty" that is not the same as being innocent. Having students over in your hot tub is not appropriate. I believe she was involved with this student. I believe this is a case of reverse discrimination. If it had been a male teacher and a female student, it would have been completely different.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I'm amazed that nobody has noticed or brought up the following:
This does not make it as clear as everyone is saying.....the judge definitely did not say it didn't happen.....it just was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
------------
While delivering her decision, BC Supreme Court Justice Alison Beames stated she did believe there was evidence of a relationship between the complainant and Ashton, however, she believed there was reasonable doubt in the complainant's story, particularly dealing with a tattoo on Ashton's lower abdomen that he claimed he never saw.

Beames went on to say that she believed that there could have been an inappropriate or sexual relationship between Ashton and the student, but that the Crown failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

The first trial, in 2011, ended in a hung jury.

Ashton still faces two counts of perjury resulting from that initial trial, however, it's not clear what will become of those charges now that she has been acquitted in the second trial.
---------------
You and 71 others Like this post
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

gardengirl wrote:The woman was found "not guilty" that is not the same as being innocent. Having students over in your hot tub is not appropriate. I believe she was involved with this student. I believe this is a case of reverse discrimination. If it had been a male teacher and a female student, it would have been completely different.

and there is the rub to this whole situation, she has been found not guilty, yet she will forever remain guilty in some peoples minds. her reputation is forever damaged, even with this not guilty verdict. so much for "justice".
redlight0516

Post by redlight0516 »

Somebody please explain to me why you think a Male Teacher would have been convicted in this case? There was no evidence other than the word of the accuser a sexual relationship ever happened. It may have happened, but there is no way based on the evidence given by the media to us, she could be convicted. I fail to see how a Male Teacher gets convicted on no-evidence but a female teacher does not.

Return to “Central Okanagan”