New Bus Schedule

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

New Bus Schedule

Post by gordon_as »

I just discovered one of the great benefits of our new bus terminus project. My bus used to leave downtown at 9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , etc. I could catch the bus near my house at 9:10 , 10:10 , 11:10 etc . Now with the new bus exchange , the times are for example 9:13 , 10:27 , 11:36 etc. Looks like everyone is going to have to carry a schedule in their pocket. Our bus system has gone from bad to worse.
ticat900
Board Meister

Re: New Bus Schedule

Post by ticat900 »

gordon_as wrote:I just discovered one of the great benefits of our new bus terminus project. My bus used to leave downtown at 9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , etc. I could catch the bus near my house at 9:10 , 10:10 , 11:10 etc . Now with the new bus exchange , the times are for example 9:13 , 10:27 , 11:36 etc. Looks like everyone is going to have to carry a schedule in their pocket. Our bus system has gone from bad to worse.

the worst part of the bus service is that its a muti million dollar cost to tax payers to benifit very very few people
there are 56 thousand people here and there are like 1500 people that use the bus service.it should be discontinued
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

how about those noisy stinky mini buses they use. they bang and clank over road bumps, one must be on the lookout forparts falling off those junkers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

gordon_as wrote:I just discovered one of the great benefits of our new bus terminus project. My bus used to leave downtown at 9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , etc. I could catch the bus near my house at ! 9:10 , 10:10 , 11:10 etc . Now with the new bus exchange , the times are for example 9:13 , 10:27 , 11:36 etc. Looks like everyone is going to have to carry a schedule in their pocket. Our bus system has gone from bad to worse.

The reason for the staggered time changes throughout the day has very little to do with the new terminus. The fact of the matter is that the ridership, contrary to Tica's belief, ridership has more than doubled in the last 6 years, add to that the increase in traffic and new traffic lights installed on the routes, the old system just did not work anymore - too many people were missing connections and drivers were running on schedules that didn't allow enough time to complete the route in. Even if the terminus didn't move, these schedule changes would have happened - its just what happens when cities grow.

dg3 wrote:how about those noisy stinky mini buses they use. they bang and clank over road bumps, one must be on the lookout forparts falling off those junkers.

Are you referring to the Ford Polar buses used for HandyDart or the 30' Dennis Dart buses used for conventional services? The Dennis Darts were the NDP's purchase and are not the best built buses on the road, but to be fair, any buses that have to be driven years on end on our pothole laden roads, its not a surprise they clank, clunk and rattle.

ticat900 wrote:the worst part of the bus service is that its a muti million dollar cost to tax payers to benifit very very few people
there are 56 thousand people here and there are like 1500 people that use the bus service.it should be discontinued

1500? Really? Care to provide how you came up with this number? Also, the neat thing about transit is that everyone can use it, even those who look for every excuse not too.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Vernon City buses are one of the largest if not the largest waste of Tax payers money.There is no reasonable excuse to take
millions of dollars of tax payers money and run a bus system used by very few
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ticat900 wrote:Vernon City buses are one of the largest if not the largest waste of Tax payers money.There is no reasonable excuse to take
millions of dollars of tax payers money and run a bus system used by very few

I'm quite sure that the close to half a million yearly riders on VRT would have a very different view point then yours, but hey, maybe you could give the "few" riders your number and you can drive them around town for less :127:

Transit is a fact of life in every community, fact is that ridership in Vernon continues to grow year after year, fact is that transit is one of the most effecient ways to get people around a city and inbetween cities, fact is that most transit users pay taxes to fund transit as well, fact is that the sparse transit Vernon has is embarassing for a city our size.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

I'm quite sure that the close to half a million yearly riders on VRT would have a very different view point then yours, but hey, maybe you could give the "few" riders your number and you can drive them around town for less :127:

Transit is a fact of life in every community, fact is that ridership in Vernon continues to grow year after year, fact is that transit is one of the most effecient ways to get people around a city and inbetween cities, fact is that most transit users pay taxes to fund transit as well, fact is that the sparse transit Vernon has is embarassing for a city our size.[/quote]

Total; exageration but lets say there was 500000 riders per year which there is not because most of this is always the same person,s.It equates to 1369 riders per day based on a population of almost 60000 people.Then take the Number of buses we have in our fleet,add the heavy heavy fuel costs,exspence of maintaining,driver costs etc etc etc its a very very inefficient
system based on our very low user base.Most of the people I see riding the bus are certainly not tax payers and if they are very low at best/Really the city transit system is just your typical welfare system
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ticat900 wrote:Total; exageration but lets say there was 500000 riders per year which there is not because most of this is always the same person,s.It equates to 1369 riders per day based on a population of almost 60000 people.

Total exageration? 2010 saw 405,271 riders, how is that a total exageration? Given the number of annual riders based on population we are in line with other Tier 2 systems around the Province.

ticat900 wrote:Then take the Number of buses we have in our fleet,add the heavy heavy fuel costs,exspence of maintaining,driver costs etc etc etc its a very very inefficient system based on our very low user base.

The system is not as efficient as can be, but its getting there, slowly. Given the various levels of bureacracey involved, it is a very tiedious task at best.

ticat900 wrote:Most of the people I see riding the bus are certainly not tax payers and if they are very low at best/Really the city transit system is just your typical welfare system

Again, a wrong assumption, the 2 largest groups of riders are students and seniors, both groups have either paid a lifetime of taxes or are now starting to pay taxes or living with people (i.e.: parents) who pay taxes, so the 2 largest users of Vernon Transit are infact tax payers.

Return to “Central Okanagan”