Lumby Dog Attack

Lore
Übergod

Re: Lumby Dog Attack

Post by Lore »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:
I've looked at that yes. Although it is easy to share the blame, the fact is that there was physical damage done by the dog, he has seriously bitten a human, and that is why the authorities are trying to euthanize the dog.
Also, according to the neighbour on the videoclip, the dog has been there for over 20 years, so he is getting very very old.
The little 10 year old girl spent two days in hospital, and now has to go through plastic surgery.
Very sad all around.

There has to be an investigation of the incident and an
assessment of the dog before a recommendation can
be made.
This was originally not done.
What dog control and the regional district was originally
trying to do was improper.
And what the neighbor said on the video was that HE had been
there for 20 years.
I am not sure of the dogs age but I know that the life span of
a large breed dog is not 20 years.
The video was actually very one sided and did not interview
the neighbor more in depth which should have happened if
the neighbor was willing to talk.
May have shed more light.
Very sad all around indeed and theres also enough responsibility
to go around as well.
Ty01

Post by Ty01 »

Everyone has their opinion and that's fine. But no one actually knows the facts involved except the two involved, and one of those two can't tell their side of the story...

That being said, Lore is absolutely correct in saying dog control wasn't following protocol at all. They went out, and tried to convince the owners that they were allowed to take the dog then and there and have him put down. That's not at all how it's supposed to be done. There was a lot of extra drama going on behind the scenes that no one on here gets to hear about, but at the end of the day, dog control went about things in the wrong way and I think that's one of the biggest complaints/concerns that is going on for a lot of us.

The dog is not that old, probably only around 10, maybe younger and the "facts" in the video were from a dog control officer that is neither a vet (saying the dog probably has a tumor) nor a doctor (saying the girl will need plastic surgery). Also what the news clip didn't show, was the dog owner's other neighbor mentioning that they've never had a problem with the dog and that they wouldn't hesitate to let their daughters be in the yard with the dog. That part was conveniently left out. From what I have heard, the injury doesn't fully look like a vicious attack but more along the lines of possibly breaking skin and then extra damage done afterwards. For example, perhaps the girl was frightened and pulled her arm, that barely fits, back through the chain link fence and it caused more damage. I'm not saying that's what happened, but I am saying because it could be possible, the immediate call by dog control to destroy the dog was uncalled for and in my opinion just plain bloodthirsty.

Anyway, I haven't been given any new news. Last I heard the dog is still at home on a 3 month quarantine by interior health. Both assessments have been passed with flying colors and I think changes have been or are being made to the property to try and make it even more difficult for someone to trespass.

Other than that, like I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion and none of us will ever know 100% what actually happened. So everyone just play nice. :sleepdeprived:
ConcernedReader

Post by ConcernedReader »

Ty01 wrote: From what I have heard, the injury doesn't fully look like a vicious attack but more along the lines of possibly breaking skin and then extra damage done afterwards. For example, perhaps the girl was frightened and pulled her arm, that barely fits, back through the chain link fence and it caused more damage.

I was not going to say anything but, Really?
Ty01

Post by Ty01 »

Ty01 wrote: I'm not saying that's what happened, but I am saying because it could be possible, the immediate call by dog control to destroy the dog was uncalled for...

Don't forget the rest.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It was a dog bite - and a nasty one. Don't try to justify it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
ConcernedReader

Post by ConcernedReader »

Ty01 wrote: From what I have heard, the injury doesn't fully look like a vicious attack but more along the lines of possibly breaking skin and then extra damage done afterwards. For example, perhaps the girl was frightened and pulled her arm, that barely fits, back through the chain link fence and it caused more damage. I'm not saying that's what happened, but I am saying because it could be possible :

There Ty01, I included the rest. Still an ignorant thing to say considering the damage that was done to the victims forearm. Do not insult the rest of our intelligence.
Last edited by ConcernedReader on Jul 4th, 2012, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Thanks for the update Ty.
Its good to see that proper protocol is being
followed now.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Fancy wrote:It was a dog bite - and a nasty one. Don't try to justify it.

We dont know how bad it was, just that it was a dog bite. I dont usually agree with an owner if their dog bites especially if the dog left the yard to attack someone. There is a line crossed when I dont agree. With this one I have to agree with the others who say its not exactly the dogs fault. That dog didnt come out to the girl, the girl came in to his yard with her arm and caused a stir likely making him mad. We will never hear how often or if she teased the dog many times and he was building a reason to get mad at her. Its all going to be a big secret between her and the dog.
Now if he'd lunged at her over his fence or jumped it to get her on the street I wouldnt agree with the rest, doesnt seem so.
You have seen me put on a great big fight over dog attacks and this doesnt fit that picture. What I would like to see tho is people with fair sized or dangerous listed dogs having fencings or pens near the back or side of their property so the dog isnt so close to a foot traffic area like an ally or sidewalk and hopefully this owner will do that.
I have never let my dog run free to the ends of our properties, they are always penned near the house either at the back or the side so if anyone was to get bit they were actually In my yard and asking for it. When we are out in the yard we let our dog go on the leash and she plays with us in the front yard on the lawn,,, hey there is a double bonus there, she doesnt live on the lawn so she isnt killing the lawn and she is never left unattended where a newspaper kid could come to her with curiosity and get hurt. Its the best way to make sure your dog isnt tormented by some idiot as well. Some people like to toss things at other people's dogs and who knows how many times thats been done to this dog,,, who knows if this girl tossed stones at him on other days,,, till we do know we cant be sure why it happened except we know the girl came to the dog and stuck her arm in his space.
I see a sign at a local pet store on a bird cage. "Dont poke fingers in the birds cage, he will bite" how many fingers do you think have entered this birds cage? Bet there have been a good number of lucky people who have gone home with all of their digits just because the bird hasnt been quick enough yet. Its a big bird and they can hurt but people are stupid. Yes I have seen people do it even tho there is a sign saying not to. Even adults are that stupid. You cant fix stupid but you can always take a little chunk and add smarts.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
OkanaganDrive

Post by OkanaganDrive »

After reviewing the subject via CHBC Global News it sounds like the female in question was trespassing with intent to cause damage to personal property. The female should be seized from whomever is designated her guardian & under go psychological reviews to ascertain if there is any danger of her escalating to such actions as the 10 year old recently reported in San Dieago (http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan ... y-assault/) did.
The canine is a hero for possibly putting his life on the to defend his master(s) from a malicious trespasser.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

We dont know how bad it was, just that it was a dog bite.
I thought the photo was explicit enough. I'm not blaming the dog as I haven't heard all sides of the story but by the looks of it and considering how many stiches was required to close the wound, it was a nasty bite.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I havent really heard how many stitches were needed sept what the media said, they are just that tho, media. They also said other stuff we heard not to be true so I am not trusting the whole bit they said, I didnt think you would either since you usually dont seem to. And lets not forget, a person could jump into a lion's cage and the wounds would look bad too. Would we blame the lion?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

00.45 of the video - shows a graphic photo
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

OkanaganDrive wrote:After reviewing the subject via CHBC Global News it sounds like the female in question was trespassing with intent to cause damage to personal property. The female should be seized from whomever is designated her guardian & under go psychological reviews to ascertain if there is any danger of her escalating to such actions as the 10 year old recently reported in San Dieago (http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan ... y-assault/) did.
The canine is a hero for possibly putting his life on the to defend his master(s) from a malicious trespasser.

How ridiculous is that. I wonder if this is a new poster who has personal agenda here, or a poster with an opinion requiring a new name.

It's never the dog's fault.
The canine is only a hero when he saves a life, not property.
There was no malicious trespasser, just a little girl who wanted to pet a dog.

Your post should go in the conspiracy theories threads.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Fancy wrote:I thought the photo was explicit enough. I'm not blaming the dog as I haven't heard all sides of the story but by the looks of it and considering how many stiches was required to close the wound, it was a nasty bite.

Can't blame a dog for biting. What good would that do?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:Can't blame a dog for biting. What good would that do?
Nothing - might ask someone who does blame the dog.

Return to “Central Okanagan”