Child-friendly neighbourhoods / street

Drinkmoremilk

Child-friendly neighbourhoods / street

Post by Drinkmoremilk »

Anyone recommend a neighbourhood for kids...where there are a lot of kids, playing on the street, with good play areas? Anywhere in / around Vernon...Thanks!
Drinkmoremilk

Re: Child-friendly neighbourhoods / street

Post by Drinkmoremilk »

Oh mine...100 people have read my post and no one has suggestions? This is making me think there arent any...
crysmom

Post by crysmom »

Lavington
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Drinkmoremilk wrote:Oh mine...100 people have read my post and no one has suggestions? This is making me think there arent any...

Not really in Vernon.
There used to be good places but they have mostly become run down or major thorough fares.
The best I can suggest is the BX from Hillview School north to BX School, east of Francis Street. Stay away from Sterling Estates and Hunters Store subdivision as it is too busy with traffic and lots of rentals.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Drinkmoremilk wrote:Anyone recommend a neighbourhood for kids...where there are a lot of kids, playing on the street, with good play areas? Anywhere in / around Vernon...Thanks!

Last time i looked there was never a place in Vernon where kids are allowed to play on the streets??or did i misunderstand what your asking
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Drink, one of the problems is the neighbourhoods where we grew up have changed so much over the years. Where years ago we kids could play out in the streets and be safe, with adults watching from yards and front porches, now families are inside more or in their backyards. I don't know if there is a safe place now where kids can play in the streets. Does this exist anymore? Why would you want your kids to be playing in the streets? Do you mean street hockey?

I grew up near the secondary school and cars race up there. I've been close to wiped out walking up to the Francis Street corner for a paper. And these are not young punks, but old people! My husband started out in the 100 Homes and it was packed with kids in the streets. We have driven through the 100 Homes these days and gone down another street to not disrupt a street hockey game with net, so kids are still playing street hockey.

The 100 Homes were a rough place in the '50's but what it's like now? Many of them have small backyards and alot of the homes were small too. And 50 years older and cost 50 times as much or more. My husband and many of the 100 Homers spent alot of time at the at the cricket field (Lakeview Park) pool and they are still there, and Silver Star School is close by.

Maybe you will have to drive around and see what is happening on the streets all over town. See if there are street hockey games going on. Ask parents where they live and what it's like to raise kids there. Ask Realtors too, which are the areas with young families, and not many rentals. Fritz is right, where there are alot of rentals, people coming and going, you can have alot of problems. And it may not work to have active young kids in an area of mostly old folks who don't like much noise.

I think we do want to be helpful, but not be discouraging, especially when some of us don't live there anymore. I think Fritz has a good idea, why not look at BX homes, or as Mom says, Lavington homes, in areas with young families and schools, and big yards, then have your kids and their friends over in your big yard. I don't know if there are any towns where kids can play in the streets and be safe. Cars seem to be driven alot faster these days, and tragedy can happen to a child in an instant.

Return to “Central Okanagan”