Sturgis North

GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Sturgis North

Post by GrooveTunes »

Any reports from Sturgis North?
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Sturgis North

Post by mexi cali »

Just talked to a buddy who says he and the mrs. had a great time.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Thank God is wasn't around this year. Last year I made the mistake of going through Salmon Arm during Poser Fest. It was like the South Park episode but tragically, in real life.

Obnoxiously loud slow Harleys with matching losers on top. Thank you for clogging up the nice twisty roads too. Braking in a corner and fingering me as I pass at 80 kmph on a 90 kmph stretch of road makes you so cool. :127:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Couldn't help but notice how many Yuppie cars pulling trailers with Harleys on them I saw on Monday while working beside highway 97. Towing your hogs to Vernon behind an FJ Cruiser or a Honda Pilot , then unloading at the hotel and cruising out to "sturgis north" doesn't really count. Agree with "posers" comment above. Still wondering how the event went though , the pictures I saw in the paper seemed devoid of......well..... People. Saw more bikes around town than usual , but not nearly as many as I was expecting.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

True bikers don't haul their toys. They ride their bikes.
Having been and riding all the way to the real Sturgis in South Dakota, Sturgis North is a complete joke. $10 to go see the merchant. $100 a day to take in the bands. Close to $1000 for a 5 day pass. Unfriendly people at the gate. Most bands have been "has beens". Who ever organizes this event should think about changing the name to start with. Wonder if they made enough money to pull themselves out of debt generated last year. Rumors has it it was around $200.000
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

John500 wrote:True bikers don't haul their toys. They ride their bikes.
Having been and riding all the way to the real Sturgis in South Dakota, Sturgis North is a complete joke. $10 to go see the merchant. $100 a day to take in the bands. Close to $1000 for a 5 day pass. Unfriendly people at the gate. Most bands have been "has beens". Who ever organizes this event should think about changing the name to start with. Wonder if they made enough money to pull themselves out of debt generated last year. Rumors has it it was around $200.000

I went to see Pat Travers Band, (original line up ) Vanilla Fudge and The Doors with ian ashtbury all for under $50 in 2006.
$100/day to see 2/5 (drummer and bass player) of the Guess Who? Right.... :127:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Well if you missed Lee Rocker you missed a great band!
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

GrooveTunes wrote:Well if you missed Lee Rocker you missed a great band!

I caught Lee rocker in Kelowna at the community theatre back in '07. I paid less than $40 for my ticket (I think it was $32?)

Lee rocker is a class act. he came out intot he lobby after the show and hung out with the hand full of people left hanging around. A real class act.
Symphomaniac

Post by Symphomaniac »

I hope the Sturgis festival dies off quietly...it's overpriced, overhyped, underwhelming music, and the price gouging left a bad taste in everyones mouth. fail.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

How did last years event in Salmon Arm compare ? Anyone who was there. Were there the same disappointments ?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Symphomaniac wrote:I hope the Sturgis festival dies off quietly...it's overpriced, overhyped, underwhelming music, and the price gouging left a bad taste in everyones mouth. fail.

Well with Motoplex Speedway handling it, you will probably get your wish. :dyinglaughing:
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Never been to the show, don't ride but as far as prices being to high, that is in the eyes of the guy with the wallet. If you think it's too much, don't go but I'll bet that there were many others who thought it was a bargain.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
kelofornia
Übergod

Post by kelofornia »

Sturgis North is a sorry excuse for those that cannot cross the border.
Not really sure how they have gotten away with using "Sturgis" in their title as there is not even a town by the name of Sturgis in BC.

There is only 1 Sturgis bike rally and it will never be duplicated. The 72nd annual event begins August 6. For those that dare load your saddlebags and hit the road.....see you there.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

kelofornia wrote:Sturgis North is a sorry excuse for those that cannot cross the border.
Not really sure how they have gotten away with using "Sturgis" in their title as there is not even a town by the name of Sturgis in BC.

There is only 1 Sturgis bike rally and it will never be duplicated. The 72nd annual event begins August 6. For those that dare load your saddlebags and hit the road.....see you there.

You got that right. Only been to Sturgis once and it wasn't during the rally. On our way to Milwaukee for HD 100th anniversary in 2003 we stopped in Sturgis for a couple of days as they had a big party there as well. Lots of fun.

Have a great time.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

kelofornia wrote:Sturgis North is a sorry excuse for those that cannot cross the border.

That's right load your saddle bags NOT YOUR TRAILER.

As a side note, my trusty white and orange 2000 Triumph is just about to hit 100,000km. Should roll over this week. Bike still looks and works likenew. Damn fine engineering over at Triumph.

Return to “Central Okanagan”