Consumers Glass 4 years after closure....

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Consumers Glass 4 years after closure....

Post by Fritzthecat »

ole smelly wrote:Ya gotta feel for those poor blokes, many lost everything when the joint went *bleep* up.
Most cannot find any work of any kind.

That's the problem: NOBODY cares. Look at the stupid responses in this thread alone. It represents what we went through 4 years ago. It's disgusting.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

ole smelly wrote:Ya gotta feel for those poor blokes, many lost everything when the joint went *bleep* up.
Most cannot find any work of any kind.

They aren't trying very hard then.

I know 4 of them who went back to school and became nurses and another who opened his own business.

It definitely sucked when the plant shut down and it seriously hindered the community. TONS of people found themselves completely lost and starting from scratch again. Scary.
bcpaul
Fledgling

Post by bcpaul »

What is this communist corner? Get out there get another job. No job, move. Own a house and stuck then get a camp job in Alberta or northern BC. Or start your own business.

I cannot believe this entitlement attitude people have these days.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

bcpaul wrote:What is this communist corner? Get out there get another job. No job, move. Own a house and stuck then get a camp job in Alberta or northern BC. Or start your own business.

I cannot believe this entitlement attitude people have these days.

Too bad federal and provincial money was used to open the place. Have you been to Vernon latley? Have you seen the crime and drugs in the streets? How's your plan owkring out, the one where we have high unemployment? Failing miserably isn't it?
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
bcpaul
Fledgling

Post by bcpaul »

So you're saying that govt should provide you a job? :dyinglaughing:
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

bcpaul wrote:So you're saying that govt should provide you a job? :dyinglaughing:

It's a shame that the BC Liberals shut down so many psychiatric hospitals.
bcpaul
Fledgling

Post by bcpaul »

Ah the personal attacks come
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

bcpaul wrote:Ah the personal attacks come

Act like a *bleep*, get treated like one.
ole smelly
Fledgling

Post by ole smelly »

Forgot about the characters from Paragon Vernons kilns, Lumby, grindrod ,etc.Those guys most of have not worked since 2004 or 2006. One unlucky or lucky dude has hung around britknee spear since 2005 she is apparently paying his billz. He provides personal services.

Others are in a financial abyss.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

If you have not worked since 2004 or 2006 it is not the economy, it is YOU.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

On a more friendly note, I had the opportunity to tour the facility several years ago and not that it has anything to do with anything but I was absolutely mesmerized by the process. From the mountains of broken glass outside the facility to the actual creation of the finished product.

It was a shame to see it disappear given that there is such a high demand for the product.

Makes you wonder why we don't seem capable of sustaining businesses such as that one.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

ledzep77 wrote:Makes you wonder why we don't seem capable of sustaining businesses such as that one.

Well, when an American company comes in and shakes bags of money in front of you, very few people are willing to say "No, thanks".

I know I wouldn't.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

ledzep77 wrote:On a more friendly note, I had the opportunity to tour the facility several years ago and not that it has anything to do with anything but I was absolutely mesmerized by the process. From the mountains of broken glass outside the facility to the actual creation of the finished product.

It was a shame to see it disappear given that there is such a high demand for the product.

Makes you wonder why we don't seem capable of sustaining businesses such as that one.

People have been led to believe that loss of jobs is inevitable and that outsourcing to foreign lands is good for business and if it is good for business well, hell, it must be good for me too.

As some one who wen tthrough this, I can tell you NOBODY in the community seemed to care. Yet a year later, when the financial crisis was really hitting, the same people who turned their backs on us were asking, no DEMANDING help for thier failing busniesses. I kept track of these poeple and do not darken their doorways.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

What's your plan fritz? You've obviously given this a great deal of thought, I'd like to hear your ideas. Are you thinking it would reopen in the same business? Is the equipment all still in place? More importantly, is there a market for that product? There's some serious competition from the plastics industry, not to mention paper cartons of all description. Can glass be produced cheaply enough for it to be competitive?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

-fluffy- wrote:What's your plan fritz? You've obviously given this a great deal of thought, I'd like to hear your ideas. Are you thinking it would reopen in the same business? Is the equipment all still in place? More importantly, is there a market for that product? There's some serious competition from the plastics industry, not to mention paper cartons of all description. Can glass be produced cheaply enough for it to be competitive?

It was a one million dollar per month NET operation when they closed it. Figure it out youself-fluffy-................

Return to “Central Okanagan”