Wednesday, April 16th7.0°C

Consumers Glass 4 years after closure....

North Okanagan topics including Vernon, Coldstream, Lumby, Armstrong, Enderby and Spallumcheen.

Moderators: Jo, ferri, Merry, Triple 6

Re: Consumers Glass 4 years after closure....

Postby Fritzthecat » Oct 2nd, 2012, 1:39 pm

gordon_as wrote:About 3 weeks before the announcement , I was giving serious thought to quiting my job there. Decided I couldn't justify quiting such a good paying job. A short time later they made my decision for me. Had lots of very positive and rewarding experiences there , challenged myself and succeeded. Was happy to move on , but it was sad to see the place quiet and empty.

So am I but what really makes me sad is WE as the community, let all those jobs go with out so much as wimper. Nobody seemed to care. 15.4% unemployment in Vernon in March of 2012 and nobody still seems to care. Real estate is is the toilet and again, nobody seems to care. I don't get it. That place sits empty, nobody cares and Vernon is going to Hell. Look at the responses on this thread alone, just a bunhc of a-holes and "Well it ain't me!" attitude.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby gordon_as » Oct 2nd, 2012, 7:01 pm

After the shutdown , I was blown away by the number of people that I talked to that had no idea that it had even existed , what we did there , or how big it actually was.
every crash involves at least 1 idiot
gordon_as
Übergod

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby superbee » Oct 3rd, 2012, 12:08 am

Sad. Very, very sad.
superbee
Fledgling

Liked in: 1 post

Postby keith1612 » Oct 4th, 2012, 3:58 pm

So am I but what really makes me sad is WE as the community, let all those jobs go with out so much as wimper. Nobody seemed to care. 15.4% unemployment in Vernon in March of 2012 and nobody still seems to care. Real estate is is the toilet and again, nobody seems to care. I don't get it. That place sits empty, nobody cares and Vernon is going to Hell. Look at the responses on this thread alone, just a bunhc of a-holes and "Well it ain't me!" attitude.[/quote]

so go do something with it.
the only solution i see from you is a expectation for the city and taxpayers to keep you working.
do you believe if the place wasnt empty vernon would be a wonderfull happy place?
its not the the" Well it ain't me!" attitude thats the problem it appears its the whining about "well its me".
stop asking for society to hand you a happy life and go make one.
what did you think the city would do? refuse them the right to leave?
create a possible and plausable solution to the problem instead of (in your words) wimpering about it.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Gone_Fishin » Oct 4th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Fritzthecat wrote:Gone, scrapped and mleted down into used cars already. O-I made damn sure that building could not be used as another glass plant unless it was totally rebuilt. Consider this: 9 months before they shut it down they invested approx. $3 million into new feeders for the B tank Feeders take the glass from the furnace to the machines. This was to become a giant tax write off! Who says the government has no busniess in busniess?
Capt Awesome grows suddenly real silent....

Well, no, equipment purchases are not giant tax write offs. Capital cost allowance on equipment is at most 10% per year on a declining balance, and often 5 - 8% depending on the type of equipment. That's hardly a giant tax write off to spend $3 million and get a measley maximum $150,000 deduction in the first year (only half rates are allowed in the first year of purchase). So they may save about $45,000 in tax in that first year for investing $3 million, which you said was their 9 month plan - hardly a giant tax savings. Better to buy a GIC than spend $3 million to get $45,000. Sorry to burst your conspiracy theory bubble on a giant tax rip off.
Gone_Fishin
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 131 posts

Postby Gixxer » Oct 9th, 2012, 6:54 pm

15.4% unemployment in Vernon in March of 2012???? Is there a link to prove this claim?
Gixxer
Übergod

Liked in: 81 posts

Postby Glacier » Oct 9th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Gixxer wrote:15.4% unemployment in Vernon in March of 2012???? Is there a link to prove this claim?

Yup, right here.
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.
Glacier
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 629 posts

Previous

Return to Vernon / North Okanagan