Proposed sports complex

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Proposed sports complex

Post by Smurf »

Actually I thought the turn out was very poor. I thought more people might be interested in where their tax dollars were going.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

Smurf wrote:Actually I thought the turn out was very poor. I thought more people might be interested in where their tax dollars were going.

rigged votes usually have a poor turnout.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

How was it rigged?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

How many times do people need to vote on this? It's been voted down already.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

[quote="Alvis"]How many times do people need to vote on this? It's been voted down already.[/quote]

What has been voted down?
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

danmartin wrote:[quote="Alvis"]How many times do people need to vote on this? It's been voted down already.[/quote]

What has been voted down?[/quote]

December 17 2007 was voted on at referendum and the result was an overwhelming NO .

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/360 ... giw.google

"Coldstream referendum results

by Rachael Kimola - Story: 36015
Dec 16, 2007 / 1:00 pm

Coldstream residents have said ‘no.’

The results of Saturday’s referendum vote on the use of Aberdeen Road farm land for sports fields were not in favour of the proposal.

Mayor Gary Corner says he is surprised by the numbers.

“I don’t have the exact numbers, but I believe the final totals were about 64% against the proposal and 35% in favour. We had more than 3,300 residents cast ballots, which is a very high turnout, more than I was expecting,” says Corner.

He says the issue will be on council’s agenda at an up-coming meeting so they can decide if they are going to submit an application to the Agricultural land Commission.

“We are not bound by the referendum results, but I have no wish to go against the will of the voters. I don’t believe anyone on council plans to do so either.”

Corner says the issue may not make it onto this week’s council agenda, but may make it onto next week’s."
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
BCGrrrrl

Post by BCGrrrrl »

Aren't we comparing apples to oranges here? The Aberdeen Rd property was (and still is??) considered prime agricultural land at the time of the referendum. The property at the College site is hardly that, lots of rocks, thin topsoil to name a few problems. I too was surprised at the low turnout but a vote is a vote so lets make sure this project is done "on time, on budget and as planned".
solidfiction

Post by solidfiction »

people can only blame themselves here.There are around 30000 eldgeable voters and only 9500 showed up
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

BCGrrrrl wrote:Aren't we comparing apples to oranges here? The Aberdeen Rd property was (and still is??) considered prime agricultural land at the time of the referendum. The property at the College site is hardly that, lots of rocks, thin topsoil to name a few problems. I too was surprised at the low turnout but a vote is a vote so lets make sure this project is done "on time, on budget and as planned".

People in Coldstream already said NO to a sports complex. What makes you think that putting somewhere else is going to change that? Coldstream residents are still picking up the slack for all the lost tax revenue since the glass plant closed as well as all the rampant "developement" they've been made to pay for too. "Oh don't worry about water, sewer and roads, WE'LL get that for you!"

The taxes there are high enough as it is.
Tommy Douglas
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Alvis wrote:People in Coldstream already said NO to a sports complex. What makes you think that putting somewhere else is going to change that?

Well, seeing that the sports complex being put up in a different location has gotten more "yes" votes than "no" votes, I'm guessing that Coldstreamites either were in favour of the new location or they just didn't bother to vote.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The poll at Coldstream Elementary was heavily in favour of the project. 922 yes to 544 against. And the poll at the Coldstream office was also in favour 287 to 231.

The ONLY poll in the whole vote that voted against the project was at the Schubert Centre, in the heart of Vernon's serior's population, and it was 1133 no and 761 yes.

This project is COMPLETELY different than the one voted on a few years ago. Unlike some Federal and Provincial elections, there were no dirty tricks, no attack ads. The project was proposed, an open vote held, and a result obtained. It will go ahead. Yes, it was a pathetically poor turnout with only 18 percent of eligible voters bothering to go to the polls but that's democracy.

I'd like to see a fine imposed on our taxes if you didn't vote. Maybe we could add 20 bucks to a voters taxes if they didn't vote. We have advanced polls and a number of polling places around the city every election. I'd be in favour of fining voters who stay home.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

For those of you who haven't noticed, but they delivered the heavy equipment to the site on Monday and have started with the excavating.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I wish we still had an open line radio show in Vernon, like Patric Nicol had for many years. It was fun to listen to the venting and outrage. Life has gone on and we won't notice much has changed after the complex is built.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

bob vernon wrote:I wish we still had an open line radio show in Vernon, like Patric Nicol had for many years. It was fun to listen to the venting and outrage. Life has gone on and we won't notice much has changed after the complex is built.

And a chance to win a beautiful Cross pen LOL!

It'll be very interesting how they deal with the parking once they have an event and classes are in session at the college. I do feel bad for the people who live in that area though, it was a great place to play with your puppies.

Return to “Central Okanagan”