Proposed sports complex

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Proposed sports complex

Post by bob vernon »

I considered moving there to another job once. Not because of McArthur Island. Sorry if I created that impression. But I decided to stay where I was and haven't regretted it. Seriously, Vernon has nowhere near the facilities that it should have.

There's probably a reason that Kamloops has the facilities that they have. It's much more of an active, blue collar town than Vernon, Kelowna, and Penticton are. A lot of people in the Okanagan moan and complain about taxes, and the few rich ones talk about how much money they have.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

bob vernon wrote:I considered moving there to another job once. Not because of McArthur Island. Sorry if I created that impression. But I decided to stay where I was and haven't regretted it. Seriously, Vernon has nowhere near the facilities that it should have.

There's probably a reason that Kamloops has the facilities that they have. It's much more of an active, blue collar town than Vernon, Kelowna, and Penticton are. A lot of people in the Okanagan moan and complain about taxes, and the few rich ones talk about how much money they have.

Very true .

Better fishing too !
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
solidfiction

Post by solidfiction »

vernon has the best fishing around and we dont need no more entitlements compliments of the tax payers of vernon
what really kills me is some guy whom rents and has only lived here for 30 days gets the same vote as a person whom have lived here for 30 years and paid land tax
ford150

Post by ford150 »

by solidfiction » Mar 29th, 2013, 9:47 pm

vernon has the best fishing around and we dont need no more entitlements compliments of the tax payers of vernon
what really kills me is some guy whom rents and has only lived here for 30 days gets the same vote as a person whom have lived here for 30 years and paid land tax
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are government funded old age care centers an entitlement? Shouldn’t the most entitled group that ever roamed the earth (boomers) saved for their old age rather than sponging of tax payers. Or is that how a just society works, government provides services for all age groups.
BTW I wasn’t planning on voting but I will for sure now. I will vote yes just to cancel out your vote. I have lived here longer than you so my opinion is more valid.
solidfiction

Post by solidfiction »

ford150 wrote:by solidfiction » Mar 29th, 2013, 9:47 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are government funded old age care centers an entitlement? Shouldn’t the most entitled group that ever roamed the earth (boomers) saved for their old age rather than sponging of tax payers. Or is that how a just society works, government provides services for all age groups.
BTW I wasn’t planning on voting but I will for sure now. I will vote yes just to cancel out your vote. I have lived here longer than you so my opinion is more valid.

OK except you have no idea how long i lived here ?and only certain income seniors get assisitance but then again what does that have to do with municipal tax system ? and having a place to live is a little more serious than a tax funded play ground for certain groups of people.and although off topic I think its wrong that as soon as u hit 65 u get free fishing licences and all the other entitlements that the govs hand out even if u can well afford it
andy miller

Post by andy miller »

I live in Kelowna, and what the sports minded leaders in Vernon have done to provide sports facilities is an envy to us in the South. In order for our kids to enjoy and learn the valuable life skills associated with sports is immeasurable. Perhaps another strip mall for kids to hang out at has more appeal?
ford150

Post by ford150 »

by solidfiction » Yesterday, 2:55 pm
"OK except you have no idea how long i lived here"

by solidfiction » Mar 17th, 2013, 8:26 pm
"thanks for the reply but We must live in Different Vernon BC citys as i have lived here since 1965"
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

andy miller wrote:Perhaps another strip mall for kids to hang out at has more appeal?

Taxpayers don't usually have to fund strip malls . If they do build it and no one uses it , hopefully they will turn it into a nice dog park :D
keano

Post by keano »

Well done Vernon voters!!
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Yup...the "ghosty" people in the sketch will be what it will be like most of the year!
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

juz516 wrote:Yup...the "ghosty" people in the sketch will be what it will be like most of the year!

Will make a wonderful dog park later !
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

For sure! lol Wonder if they would have had a vote with a new pool/rec centre with a proper gym, etc.,(which could be used all year round by all ages!).... along with this vote which would have won? No brainer, IMO, and it sure wouldn't have been the "sports complex"
solidfiction

Post by solidfiction »

The whole problem is a flawed voting system.These extravagances are paid for via municipal tax system + not general workers income tax system.The lowly land owner is forced to pay municipal taxes on his house yet a person only has to reside in Vernon for 30 days and could be on welfare on unemployable and they get the same vote as the person,s whom are forced to pay the tax???(home owners) :purefury:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

It's an outrage. I own an apartment building with 12 units. I should get those 12 votes, plus the one for my house, and be able to vote 13 times and the tenants should get zero votes. Fair is fair. And democratic.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

solidfiction wrote:The whole problem is a flawed voting system.These extravagances are paid for via municipal tax system + not general workers income tax system.The lowly land owner is forced to pay municipal taxes on his house yet a person only has to reside in Vernon for 30 days and could be on welfare on unemployable and they get the same vote as the person,s whom are forced to pay the tax???(home owners) :purefury:

none of those people you are worried about care enought to vote anwyay.

Return to “Central Okanagan”