Vernon Highschool

itzmewilson

Vernon Highschool

Post by itzmewilson »

Can anyone tell me what the reputation is like for the Vernon Highschool?

Is there only one in Vernon or what are the options?

I have a child in the Highschool in Westbank and the bullying is so bad - I am being forced to pull a good child out of school to let the bullies win. I've heard that the kelowna schools are not much better.

I know bullying is in every school - but wondering if its as bad in Vernon as on this side of the lake?

Thanks
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: Vernon Highschool

Post by fvkasm2x »

Kalamalka
Vernon Secondary
Fulton
Seaton

Those are the 4 that come to mind immediately.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

The reputation of these schools depends on who you talk...Fulton is considered the "jock" school, Seaton, the drama, band, French Immersion, VSS offers trades, and Kal is the academic, but also has more kids of privilege. There is also the Christian School which goes to grade 12, but it is a very small school with some instability in retaining teachers, as well, f your child is athletic, the student population is just too small to draw from so their teams, if they have enough students are all too often lacking.

Over the years (I have one who graduated from Fulton and one from Seaton) I have heard negatives and positives about each of the schools. Both of my kids had very positive experiences. The one from Fulton had a rough experience regarding some serious ignorance inflicted on her by a church youth group and its adult leaders (nothing to do with school), and her teachers, the school counsellor and the principal were amazing in helping her get past the impact of that experience and she continued to do well in school.

Also, if your child is Aboriginal, Seaton is the best choice as they have an active Aboriginal support person who gets involved with the kids, not sure about the other schools in that area.

Good luck with whatever you decide and hope your child finds success in whatever direction he or she goes.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I'm wondering if there will be a high school in Vernon closed in a couple of years. In a recent news story in the paper there were some alarming stats. Enrollment at Fulton is 701 in a school built for 950. The new VSS has 877 in a school built for 950. Seaton has 701 in a school with capacity of 900. Kalamalka has 552 in a school built for 800.

The local school board is enrolling about 550 kindergarten students in recent years with close to 750 graduating from grade 12. In a year or two, one of those high schools might be mothballed. Even this coming year there might be room in the other three schools for the Kal enrollment. Maybe there will be an addition of grade 7 to the high schools and an elementary school or two will close. But changes are coming.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

itzmewilson wrote:Can anyone tell me what the reputation is like for the Vernon Highschool?

Is there only one in Vernon or what are the options?

I have a child in the Highschool in Westbank and the bullying is so bad - I am being forced to pull a good child out of school to let the bullies win. I've heard that the kelowna schools are not much better.

I know bullying is in every school - but wondering if its as bad in Vernon as on this side of the lake?

Thanks

I would be ever so curious as to 1) how many other studenst are being bullied beside your kid and 2) what has been the response from the school Bosses as in princiapal and Vice??

Return to “Central Okanagan”