Vernon economy going from bad to worse

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Vernon economy going from bad to worse

Post by bob vernon »

We just need to cut the taxes on business to zero. And that would mean that property taxes on houses would soar in order to subsidize the businesses. But we'd attract businesses, wouldn't we?

We can give them free water, free sewer, pave the road to their business, clear the snow, and do a little landscaping. All free.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

bob vernon wrote:We just need to cut the taxes on business to zero. And that would mean that property taxes on houses would soar in order to subsidize the businesses. But we'd attract businesses, wouldn't we?

We can give them free water, free sewer, pave the road to their business, clear the snow, and do a little landscaping. All free.

Businesses do not pay taxes. Taxes are a cost of doing business which the customer pays for. In my opinion, cutting business taxes to zero would have zero effect on the amount of taxes a government collects because it would cause personal income taxes to increase which wouldn't matter anyway because you and I already pay for business tax.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

bob vernon wrote:We just need to cut the taxes on business to zero. And that would mean that property taxes on houses would soar in order to subsidize the businesses. But we'd attract businesses, wouldn't we?

With warm greetings like the Lavington pellet plant receives(d) , I'm surprised there's any here at all .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Static and Vernon??Businesses do not pay taxes. Taxes are a cost of doing business which the customer pays for. In my opinion, cutting business taxes to zero would have zero effect on the amount of taxes a government collects because it would cause personal income taxes to increase which wouldn't matter anyway because you and I already pay for business tax.

you two are confusing Property tax with income tax .Second off the customer does not pay the business corporate income tax.A business that is run in a efficient manor produces what we call a profit .The business is then required to pay a corporate income tax based on the profit which is paid to the government not the municipality in which its located
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

wanderingman wrote:you two are confusing Property tax with income tax .Second off the customer does not pay the business corporate income tax.A business that is run in a efficient manor produces what we call a profit .The business is then required to pay a corporate income tax based on the profit which is paid to the government not the municipality in which its located

So with just who's money do these businesses get this "profit" from which they then use to pay taxes?
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 26th, 2014, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

wanderingman wrote:you two are confusing Property tax with income tax .Second off the customer does not pay the business corporate income tax.A business that is run in a efficient manor produces what we call a profit .The business is then required to pay a corporate income tax based on the profit which is paid to the government not the municipality in which its located

cv23 wrote:So with just who's money do these businesses get this "profit" from which they then use to pay taxes?

When the customer does not pay the business corporate income tax, the business goes bye bye :)
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

TORI-K???so what does this have to do with the actual topic??

NOTHING At ALL
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

How about we, as the consumer, walk past the Starbucks to the mom and pop shop to buy our $4 coffee.
That income would stay local and start a multiplier effect.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Static wrote:How about we, as the consumer, walk past the Starbucks to the mom and pop shop to buy our $4 coffee.
That income would stay local and start a multiplier effect.

NP - as long as the Mom And Pop coffee shops are open past 2 or 4 pm like many in the downtown core seem to like to close their doors - many aren't open Sundays and some not even on Saturdays. I can think of at least six at the top of my head that aren't open when I need my evening or weekend fix
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
rockandroller

Post by rockandroller »

Yep, this town sure rolls up the streets early!

I think its a sign that the restaurant business is spread too thin - seems there are not enough customers to make it worth any one business's while to stay open past 8 PM. I mean really - EIGHT PM??? I was quite shocked to find that "the number one rated" restaurant in town ( according to TripAdvisor) can't manage to stay open til 9 PM. And then there is that vast 'dead zone' if you happen to be looking for a late lunch. Not many places around open between 2 and 5. I think it would be perfectly OK if there were half as many restaurants to choose from, but one or two that actually stayed open late :-)

Does a town the size of Vernon really NEED 15 burger joints, three Mexican places, 8 Chinese buffets, 6 sushi joints, etc etc etc ?

(Probably I'm just pining for the last two places I lived, population 15 million and 10 million respectively...)
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

rockandroller wrote:Yep, this town sure rolls up the streets early!

I think its a sign that the restaurant business is spread too thin - seems there are not enough customers to make it worth any one business's while to stay open past 8 PM. I mean really - EIGHT PM??? I was quite shocked to find that "the number one rated" restaurant in town ( according to TripAdvisor) can't manage to stay open til 9 PM. And then there is that vast 'dead zone' if you happen to be looking for a late lunch. Not many places around open between 2 and 5. I think it would be perfectly OK if there were half as many restaurants to choose from, but one or two that actually stayed open late :-)

Does a town the size of Vernon really NEED 15 burger joints, three Mexican places, 8 Chinese buffets, 6 sushi joints, etc etc etc ?

(Probably I'm just pining for the last two places I lived, population 15 million and 10 million respectively...)

what city,s in the us or canada did u live in that have 15 million and 10 million people?? Second off its up to the person whom owns the burger joints or *removed* food outlets etc if they want to operate in Vernon?its not any of your business at all
*removed* You can get a cheese burger deluxe with home cooked frys Tuesday at Toros for $6.95 and Browns social house is like 17.00$$$.guess where I go?
Last edited by wanderingman on Sep 20th, 2014, 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

rockandroller wrote:

wanderingman wrote:what city,s in the us or canada did u live in that have 15 million and 10 million people??

Where did the poster say anything about the US or Canada? There are other cities in the world outside of Vernon.

wanderingman wrote:You can get a cheese burger deluxe with home cooked frys Tuesday at Toros for $6.95 and Public house is like 17.00$$$.guess where I go?

Do you take your wife and young kids or grand kids to the pub with you?
Pubs, like Toro's, rely on alcohol sales not food sales. Toro's could shut the kitchen tomorrow and still survive without the likes of you cheapskate lushes but wouldn't last a week without alcohol sales. Most restaurants, especially family ones, rely on their food, not booze, for their existence.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

wanderingman wrote:You can get a cheese burger deluxe with home cooked frys Tuesday at Toros for $6.95 and Public house is like 17.00$$$.guess where I go?

Where is "Public house" and what the blazes is "17.00$$$"?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Do you take your wife and young kids or grand kids to the pub with you?
Pubs, like Toro's, rely on alcohol sales not food sales. Toro's could shut the kitchen tomorrow and still survive without the likes of you cheapskate lushes but wouldn't last a week without alcohol sales. Most restaurants, especially family ones, rely on their food, not booze, for their existence.

why do people write stuff like this.Its so ridiculous its well ridiculous and its pretty obvious to most intelligent people what I said cost $17$$

Return to “Central Okanagan”