Vernon economy going from bad to worse

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Vernon economy going from BAD to WORSE

Post by bob vernon »

And here's another one: Sobey's, the eastern Canadian grocer who bought the Safeway's in BC, wants to cut costs. One way is to force unionized employees out of their stores in BC. The Safeway employees in the Vernon Square store have been approached about "decertifying" their union and taking a big wage cut if they want to keep working. One tactic that Sobey's is willing to use against the employees is to close the store for a year and then re-open with a new, non-unionized, cheaper staff. Employees with long service at the store would be out, wages cut, benefits reduced. Generally another case of the race to the bottom in the new Canada.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If memory serves me correctly, Safeway paid much higher wages before they were unionized.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

bob vernon wrote:And here's another one: Sobey's, the eastern Canadian grocer who bought the Safeway's in BC, wants to cut costs. One way is to force unionized employees out of their stores in BC. The Safeway employees in the Vernon Square store have been approached about "decertifying" their union and taking a big wage cut if they want to keep working. One tactic that Sobey's is willing to use against the employees is to close the store for a year and then re-open with a new, non-unionized, cheaper staff. Employees with long service at the store would be out, wages cut, benefits reduced. Generally another case of the race to the bottom in the new Canada.

now just what does this have to do with the subject/ title?? nothing at all. start your own thread about these matters
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Glacier wrote:If memory serves me correctly, Safeway paid much higher wages before they were unionized.

I think u have a bad memory
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Tolko and Kal Tire are the only two industries that might pay decent wages and only to office workers. (ie the guy changing your tires is barely making above minimum wage. Also, had many friends who had to leave Tolko because they shut down so many times they couldn't afford their mortgage payments and to feed their families. So totally agree that the head office workers make decent wages.

Big box stores are your example of a thriving economy in Vernon??? Who can afford to live here on big box store wages??? The manager of those stores barely gets paid enough to live here.

As for Safeway making high wages before they were a union, that is simply not true. Safeway basically broke the union about 10 years or so ago because they offered their employees a big raise if they could pay new employees minimum wage and only give them part time work. They then bought out as many full time employees who would take the buyout. There are still some oldtimers left making good money working along side people making minimum wage.

Which brings me back to my original point that Vernon does not have many WELL PAYING JOBS for young families. Basically the government jobs are the biggest and best paying jobs in Vernon besides Tolko and Kal Tire. (ie doctors, nurses, teachers, firefighters, police).
Again student enrolment plummeting equals young people leaving Vernon in droves. If young people leaving a town is a good thing, that is another argument. I would say young people leaving does not make for a thriving community.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

kinda funny how a few rather ignorant groups try to shed a grey lite on Vernon yet Vernon for some weird reason is rather vibrant at worst.There are hundreds of 600K house,s in Vernon and people keep buying them> ? there are 4 world class golf courses and all seem to make money? City of Vernon seems to be able to employ a bunch of lazy overpaid workers yet city budget gets passed and paid for? crime is not rampant( good thing we have a large police force) I could go on AND ON BUT
Vernon is certainly not going from bad to worse mainly because it was never"BAD" to begin with
image999

Post by image999 »

Do you understand macro and micro economics ? Have you lived and run business in other geographical locations, mainly in BC ? Do you have any formal economics background ? Do you understand how cities of the Okanagan have used their available assets and synergies to create employment and educate it's citizens ? I've watched Vernon for a long time and believe it's economy lags exponentially for a location that's one of the nicest places on earth. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 19th, 2014, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

image999 wrote:Do you understand macro and micro economics ? Have you lived and run business in other geographical locations, mainly in BC ? Do you have any formal economics background ? Do you understand how cities of the Okanagan have used their available assets and synergies to create employment and educate it's citizens ? I've watched Vernon for a long time and believe it's economy lags exponentially for a location that's one of the nicest places on earth. *removed*

*removed*
Vernon is alive and well and doing very very well economicaly.Actually the RV dearlership in Vernon I used to work for before retiring employs 25-30 people
Last edited by ferri on Mar 19th, 2014, 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: personal attack
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Rvrepairnut, who is the ignorant one?
Your only argument that Vernon is doing well is big box stores and a few Home offices? How do you argue that the GDP of Vernon has plummeted as well as employment?

The profits from Home Depot, Walmart, Target etc all go to the US. At least Canadian Tire, Superstore etc are Canadian and even if the profits go back east, as least the tax dollars stay in Canada.

Walmart only employs minimum wage employees and forces small places owned by locals out of business. At least Fischers Hardware is owned by someone in Vernon who spends their money here. Same goes for Tim Hortons and other Franchises that are owned by locals.
It seems all you do is make uninformed comments and bash unions. How about some actual FACTS about how wonderful our economy is?
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

jasond_71 wrote:Rvrepairnut, who is the ignorant one?
Your only argument that Vernon is doing well is big box stores and a few Home offices? How do you argue that the GDP of Vernon has plummeted as well as employment?

The profits from Home Depot, Walmart, Target etc all go to the US. At least Canadian Tire, Superstore etc are Canadian and even if the profits go back east, as least the tax dollars stay in Canada.

Walmart only employs minimum wage employees and forces small places owned by locals out of business. At least Fischers Hardware is owned by someone in Vernon who spends their money here. Same goes for Tim Hortons and other Franchises that are owned by locals.
It seems all you do is make uninformed comments and bash unions. How about some actual FACTS about how wonderful our economy is?

If u don't like things leave I say.Vernons economey is flying along just fine with Harbor Craft boats.Kal tire,tolko,Techmar,
DCT trucking, Finning, Inland kenworth, Many many smaller business,s like fishers, MRRV, IRL truck,etc etc etc etc etc
Look at preditor ridge or turtle mountin or tavistock(lakeview) Home Hardware on 27 str.BC hydro, etc etc Vernon is great
Last edited by rvrepairnut on Mar 20th, 2014, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Arthur "DCT Trucking" Chamber's funeral was last weekend, so if he's doing well, it's on the other side. Same goes for Mr. Kal Tire, only a year earlier. As for Techmar, it was bought out by an American firm two years ago.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Glacier wrote:Arthur "DCT Trucking" Chamber's funeral was last weekend, so if he's doing well, it's on the other side. Same goes for Mr. Kal Tire, only a year earlier. As for Techmar, it was bought out by an American firm two years ago.

techmar employs 65 people it matters not who owns them.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

jasond_71 wrote:

Not correct.
All three are public companies, and are owned by their shareholders.
People in the usa, japan, saudi arabia, britain, etc etc can and do own the companies.
The profits are returned to them, in the form of dividends.
They may be headquartered in the usa, but are not solely owned by usa citizens.

Canadian tire and superstore are also public.
Superstore is owned by Loblaws, a division of Weston.
Anyone can own a piece of them.
If you have enough money, you can own a majority interest in all of them.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Anyone who has ever paid in CPP is also a part owner most if not all major international companies.
- Douglas Murray
Betterlife

Post by Betterlife »

I moved from Vancouver to lake country for 3 years, spent plenty of time in Vernon, Kelowna. I'll say this, things are definitely not getting better out there. I just left 6 months ago and when I did, our upscale development had roughly 35% of the properties were for sale and not selling.
Kids getting out of technical school I knew either couldn't find work or were hired by contractors but never got paying jobs. I see a lot of attempts by media and business development to convince the public that everything is fine, but it aint. Maybe if you're a 30 year veteran with some crown corp you think things are great cause you're in a bubble.
Just look at the empty shops, for lease signs, etc. First step to recovery is to admit there's a problem, something people resist with every fibre of their being.

Return to “Central Okanagan”