It's amazing this guy is getting away with drunk driving

Mama
Lord of the Board

It's amazing this guy is getting away with drunk driving

Post by Mama »

MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Its amazing that this guy is getting away with drunk dri

Post by Relentless »

Well, it's our legal system and Lawyers again!

"During the trial, defence counsel suggested Kowal had taken a drink of alcohol available in his car following the crash to calm his nerves while he waited for emergency responders. Prosecution had to prove Kowal was drunk at the time of the accident in order for the impaired driving charge to stick."

This is the problem with our legal system, Liquor available after the fact to taint the truth!

"While on scene, Kowal told officers he couldn’t could blow a breath sample due to his injuries. However, a blood sample taken hours later at the hospital showed Kowal’s blood-alcohol level to be more than triple the legal limit."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Driver+ ... z2N9pxefji
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

I fail to see the "problem" with the legal system. Surely you both aren't suggesting that people be imprisoned without evidence, are you?
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

How much alcohol would it take to put a 41 year old adult male over the legal limit? Would one drink do it?

What sort of person who has been in an auto accident drinks right after?

What sort of person keeps the alcohol in his vehicle to start with?

And, was the bottle from the vehicle entered into evidence? It says that his defense "suggest" this might have been done. They did not seem to say it was actually done.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

Exactly Graphite. Disgusting. I drive by the spot where this accident happened every day, and I think about this kid every day. This guy gets away with this pathetic defense....well the judge better give him the max.
And what kind of MAN, would let himself be defended by such an argument. You killed a BOY! Strap on a pair, you drunken piece of garbage, and own up to it.

And yes, I hope he and all his friends and family for the next 100yrs read this!
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

This is punishable by up to 14 years. Hopefully the judge is as disgusted with the defence.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

Are you kiddin me, This guy will most likely get a paid holiday at one of our disgusting and horrible prisons, Where he will most likely have all his medical needs met,FREE OF CHARGE three square meals a day FREE OF CHARGE, new glasses if needed FREE OF CHARGE, Good quality entertainment FREE OF CHARGE,All his dental needs met FREE OF CHARGE,I am nearing pension age, Could you please send me in his place? Since the frog changed the rules in 1968 ,he screwed this whole country over ,With his civil rights agenda,Which he did not just go a little overboard with, But went totally freeekin nuts with, Serves us right.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

I wonder how his lawyers can possibly live with themselves?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

They're simply doing the job they were hired to do.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

How is it "Amazing"?
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

UltraViolet wrote:"While on scene, Kowal told officers he couldn’t could blow a breath sample due to his injuries. However, a blood sample taken hours later at the hospital showed Kowal’s blood-alcohol level to be more than triple the legal limit."

More than 3 times the legal limit, hours later, is basically pickled, not just downing a good stiff drink strait from the bottle.
This criminal was without a doubt totally drunk, thats why its amazing.
Our legal system totally sucks!
WhatThe

Re: It's amazing this guy is getting away with drunk driving

Post by WhatThe »

burden of proof people. It's not for this guy, it's for you, he's a technicality which we will always have in the world of man.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

How about this then. In a serious accident where there is a fatality , or the possibility of a fatality , EMT's with the assistance of the RCMP should be legally obligated to draw a blood sample from any involved driver with or without their permission. If 4 cops have to hold the guy down so be it. Refusing to blow , for any reason , or refusing the blood sample are an automatic conviction. If you have nothing to hide , there should be no reason to be opposed to the sample being taken. Make it a contract , when you get a licence or renew a licence , or purchase insurance. Your signature accepting the policy , and giving consent to this action in the future , or you go home empty handed.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

gordon_as wrote:How about this then. In a serious accident where there is a fatality , or the possibility of a fatality , EMT's with the assistance of the RCMP should be legally obligated to draw a blood sample from any involved driver with or without their permission. If 4 cops have to hold the guy down so be it. Refusing to blow , for any reason , or refusing the blood sample are an automatic conviction. Make it a contract , when you get a licence or renew a licence , or purchase insurance. Your signature accepting the policy , and giving consent to this action in the future , or you go home empty handed.

I don't know what to tell you because I just don't get why people don't care about their rights or why they'd prefer to be cast as guilty and have to prove their own innocence.
gordon_as wrote: If you have nothing to hide , there should be no reason to be opposed to the sample being taken

That's such a tired argument. If you can't think of at least one other reason why, in general, it doesn't meet the test then you simply haven't thought it all through.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

OK here is another reason. Those who choose to drink and drive , then maim and kill people should not be able to pull out this tired and ridiculous defense.
If I ever kill someone with my car , giving a couple cc's of blood is a pretty minor inconvenience. The only reason I would not want to give the blood is if I was high or drunk.
As far as rights go , if you don't want to be held accountable for your drunk driving , you have the right to decline the privilege of driving.
I don't mind if a cop wants to enter and search my house , as long as he takes his boots off at the door. Why ? because I don't have any restricted firearms , or a grow op , or a dungeon for kidnap victims , or a pot full of crack on the stove , or a drawer full of stolen credit cards , or , or, or. Those that do , don't really have the right to rights in my opinion.
Those that choose to drive drunk don't usually just do it once , they do it regularly and hopefully get caught before they kill a nice young man , like this waste of air did.
14 YEARS sounds good to me for this *bleep*. OK so you and your lawyer came up with a lame excuse and got off the drunk charge , that doesn't and shouldn't mean you won't be held accountable for your actions anyways.

People who defend the rights of the scum of our society mystify me.

Return to “Central Okanagan”